Meat shortage?

For those of you trying to stretch your meat supplies I would recommend making homemade veggie burgers.

I'm a committed carnivore but I have to admit that I love my veggie burgers.

Generally, I combine two plant based proteins, along with an egg and some cheese to bind it together. Then I add some herbs, make my patties, and fry 'em up.

My two plant based proteins are typically some combination of black beans, red beans, or lentils. Sometimes I include brown rice.

Sometimes I go ethnic on the spicing, maybe using advieh (Persian), or berbere (Ethiopian), or a garam masala (Indian).

Other times I just go with fresh oregano, basil, rosemary, etc., for an Italian flair.

Or I'll splash in a little Worcestershire to give them more of a burger flavor.

My veggie friends love my veggie burgers. They're anything but boring.

Out of those three which is your favorite? Two are Calrose and Nishiki is California grown but does not say Calrose, I have never tried Calrose rice, I do like Jasmine rice. I have learned too much about rice tonight lol.

Thank you.
Sorry
Yes, I wasn't very clear.
If I check the ethnic aisle and my brand is out of stock, I feel as though there isn't any rice available.
It doesn't even occur to me to check the American section. lol
I do actually forget that Americans even eat rice.
I know this sounds hilarious.
I am American, just not when it comes to food.
Some food anyway.
I grew up eating certain a type of rice so that is what I prefer.
For me bread crumbs mean panko bread crumbs.
So if panko, is not available, there are no bread crumbs.
When I eat a hamburger, I am particular about the bun.
Never a pretzel bun.
I do love pretzels, but not with my hamburger.
I also love
grits, eggs and hot sausage patties.
Are you all familiar with grits?
But not with bacon.
Although I love a blt.
I guess I'm trying to say I love all food, I just have idiosyncrasies.

Familiar with grits?

I eat them every single day of my life, with no exceptions.

I like BLT's as well but I love BELT's, can't wait for fresh tomato season. When I eat grits I have to eat them with syrup and lots of it.

in my area we have plenty of family or hobby farms that sell direct. pork, turkey, chicken and beef. as well as many many many 4-h's who are now are getting a look at real farming perils, as many of the 4-h sales have been cancelled. we also have a few local meat processors that cater to these farms, as well as many wild game processors that have taken on the challenge and are on "you drop off, you pick up" basis. we also have a farm co-op. everything from eggs, breads to cheeses to seasonings and ofc veggies and fruits. for my kitchen, weve been buying this way before this. i have seen changes though, right now most cant get rid of their product fast enough, most prime cuts are left and the ground goes fast. & prices reflect in this. recently weve bought quite a bit of chicken but have been using our freezer stash of beef. i do encourage you that if you find yourself in a meat shortage area, you google, social media ask, or old school yellow page lookup local small business processors, farms, or butchers. and if your looking to start a stash of your own many will share tips and tricks to get started. my extended family loves to support 4-h and this is how i started, it went from a here have a couple pounds ground beef. to i needed a garage freezer because i was given half a cow. although i leave the 4-h supporting to them. we do regularly order from the butcher.

LOL
I love grits.
I don't really care for quick grits, but sometimes that is all the grocery store has available.
I don't eat grits with sugar and milk.
That's for my oatmeal.
I don't really care for Cream of Wheat. lol :smiling_face:
Although, some people say that they can't tell the difference.

Sounds amazing.
Enjoy
How's your grandfather?

Growing up, shopping at the Korean or Japanese store was a routine part of grocery shopping.
We very rarely saw Americans in these stores.
LOL
They probably thought of me as the token American.
Not really most of the stores we would frequent knew my family.
Although, if I was not with my mother, I didn't know if I should bow or not.
In one store, they spoke very little English.
I looked like a typical American teenager, so I was concerned that they might think I was being disrespectful.

I like BLT's as well but I love BELT's, can't wait for fresh tomato season. When I eat grits I have to eat them with syrup and lots of it.

[/quote]
I can't wait for fresh tomatoe season either.
I love tomatoes on my tacos with corn tortillas.
Although, that's considered an American addition.
I like flour tortillas with fajitas.
Corn such a versatile vegetable.
I do love corn and most corn products.
No corn liquor, lol.

I would never have thought to eat grits with syrup.

I love syrup with french toast.
Which I prefer, to waffles and pancakes.
I always think of grits as being savoury.
Salt, pepper, and butter.
Served with savoury food.
Sausage, ham, bacon, shrimp, fried eggs, fried catfish. lol
I don't like scrambled eggs with grits. I do love scrambled eggs, but with toast and fried potatoes.
:slight_smile:

@Soteria 2.0:

$17.48 - Botan Extra Fancy Calrose Rice, 20 lb
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Botan-Extra-Fancy-Calrose-Rice-20-lb/15754578

Free delivery on $35+ orders

I lived in the south for a few of my childhood years. There are a lot of southern foods I grew to love, but grits is not one of them. It's a terrible waste of hominy. (If y'all make it out of something besides hominy, it's a waste of whatever that is, unless it's avocados, in which case it's an improvement, but I still don't like it.)

Grits are a gift from God.

And the only acceptable additions are salt, pepper, butter, and cheese.

My morning bowl of cheese grits is almost a religious experience.

Grits - always yuk UNTIL a friend of my mom made them. She grew up in the South, they were delicious. I never was able to fully replicate, a recipe only goes so far, maybe she failed to pass on a trick or I wasn't paying attention enough (I was a kid).

Meat - same situation as ferocious-onyx-glossy-iguana-210905. Can't remember the last time we bought meat in a grocery. We consume little meat anyway (a half cow would last the household many years), so we don't stock up too much and go with what has been freshly bagged, butchered or aged.
A BIL is an MD/PhD specialty in prion diseases, stopped eating meat entirely 30+ years ago after his first research outing to a factory slaughter house. A case of know too much, too many risks.

Anyone raised in or had a friend's household where brains were on the menu?:woohoo:

Had an inlaw that their uncle ate squirrel brains, yuk. They also deep fried frozen blood cubes, yukyuk, what people will eat.

Cow brains, ugh.

I guess that there was a time in this country where much more of the animal was consumed more directly. In some cultures it still continues. Factory farming makes some of it much more risky. I'm guessing that the factory abattoirs don't waste much, one way or another it is used for something.

"Where's the Beef"
Maybe Wendy's is only out of square pieces of beef.

Thank you.
I tried to order from Walmart before I checked Amazon.
Unfortunately, when I put the order in my cart, it was out of stock.
They will notify me when it's available.
Fortunately, Kroger's has it back in stock.
7.19 for a 5 lb bag.
We had rice for breakfast.
Will have pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. I love pulled pork. lol :slight_smile:

@Soteria 2.0 Sorry about that.

As of right now, I see "5 left" available for shipping of "Botan Rice - Rice - Calrose, 5 Lb" at $5.98/each:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Botan-Rice-Rice-Calrose-5-Lb/10451689