Is It Like a Fine Wine?

Personally, I've never been fond of the fruitcakes that I have received as gifts, even though they often look pretty. Perhaps, like some wines, a fruitcake tastes better if aged. Yet it seems somewhat mysterious that the fruitcake in this article was not eaten and left behind a hundred years ago. They did have a nice refrigerator to keep it until they could get around to eating it.

I am not sure I would like to be the first to try a fruitcake of that vintage.:frowning:

Its finding does remind one of the wisdom of the remarks of the Chair of the House Science Committee. As these less visited areas of the globe become more accessible, who knows what other wonderful things may be found. It is certainly true that perceived "problems" are really nothing other than opportunities that have not yet been identified.

Mr. Smith may be correct, in the long run, about the benefits of climate change, for one such benefit could be the extinction of mankind, which many have argued would be an immensely beneficial to the planet. But can a benefit to the planet exist, if there is no one there to see it?

I believe one of our members posted a video some time ago proving that the planet would actually be fine no matter what happens although there may be nobody around to witness that.

As to whether a benefit can exist in the absence of it being witnessed, one might first ask whether existence is sufficiently stable to permit consideration of that question. Recalling the Hegelian first triad that seems a dubious proposition.

Of course had Hegel had the opportunity to enjoy a fruitcake of the right quality, he might have been able to settle that matter for us.

This thread reminds me of the age old question -- If a tree falls in the forest but no one is present to witness it, did it really happen? I would posit that if we can determine a definitive answer to that, the same would hold true for benefits. However, I will leave such important existential questions to those with much deeper understanding of the world than I possess.

By the way, there is one other benefit of fruitcakes, new, old, or really old, aka Carbon 50-eligible: They make terrific doorstops.

On the planet being fine sans humans: possibly for a short cosmic time, but it ,like all things, will die or be annihilated sooner or later.

I believe I have expressed in the past, on this or the R+ forum, my admiration for solipsism, especially my own. Accordingly, to me, "existence" is a dialectical process(Hegel)that always returns to existence, and so it is a stable process, though Mr.Hegel has been thought by many to be dubious himself. Many years ago I read some of Hegel's major works, and what I remember most are the paragraph-like long sentences, filled with commas, where by the time one got to the verb at the end of the sentence, one could not remember the large bulk that had preceded it. But despite his tortuous Germanic writing skills, he has been, deservedly, quite influential. His writing does sort of resemble a twenty pound fruitcake.:slight_smile:

What really requires a deeper understanding is when one hears the sound of a tree falling in the forest and one is not in a forest and there are no trees anywhere to be seen.

Besides fruitcakes making good doorstops and maybe a good temporary device for playing indoor football, they are probably the all time number one re-gifted item ever. It's the gift that keeps on being given. And for some deep reason, fruitcake as a gift has unreasonable staying power. Humans really adore one another.:huh:

Good points both! Hearing things that aren't there might be indicative of certain human maladies, although it could also be the direct result of eating 100-year-old fruitcake. And as far as regifting fruitcake is concerned, who would be able to tell the difference?

" And as far as regifting fruitcake is concerned, who would be able to tell the difference?" You've discovered the everlasting beauty of fruitcake---know one can tell if it is new , old, or where it's been.
Another frozen fruitcake: Fruit Cake Slap Shot - YouTube
Nobody like a fruitcake: Holiday Lament (The Fruitcake Song) - YouTube

"tortuous Germanic writing " (A)

Is there another kind?

"What really requires a deeper understanding is when one hears the sound of a tree falling in the forest and one is not in a forest and there are no trees anywhere to be seen."

Die Traumdeutung

See (A) above

As to fruitcakes, I once gifted a fruitcake-type culinary creation that took me days to prepare to a friend who had expressed interest in tasting it.

The "friend" did indeed note its doorstop qualities and suggested I might wish to pursue a business opportunity in that area. Our friendship has continued over the years and one wonders if this compliment has not been partly responsible for that.

Frankness without malice and sincere suggestions for a successful business can certainly be ingredients of a lasting friendship, not to mention the gifting of a rare, good tasting fruitcake. It's the thought behind the gift that matters anyways, or so they say.

Fruitcake should be served at Google diversity symposiums to lighten things up and alleviate some of the stress, which I believe would not violate any labor laws.

Oldbooks1 wrote: "As to fruitcakes, I once gifted a fruitcake-type culinary creation that took me days to prepare to a friend who had expressed interest in tasting it. The "friend" did indeed note its doorstop qualities and suggested I might wish to pursue a business opportunity in that area. Our friendship has continued over the years and one wonders if this compliment has not been partly responsible for that."

Well, come to think of it, fruitcake doorstops might sell well. Partially unwrapped, they can emit a unique but not unpleasant odor, and due to the high alcohol percentage of their contents (at least pre-cooking), they would likely have a shelf life superior to any other multi-purpose food/doorstop material except for SPAM.