Incognito Incognito

I've wondered how it is that some sites with paywalls and no ad blockers allowed barbed wire fences know that I'm in incognito mode, and now I know it's because of a flaw in the Chrome browser, which Google is going to fix, supposedly. It seems to me that the number of paywall and no ad blocker sites has steadily increased, and though I'm all for people making a living off their wares, these sites should be required to have some sort of dollar sign next to their link warning those who are unwilling to buy not to go there, for they waste people's time by not doing so. The no ad blocker sites are increasing as well, some of which are so riddled with ads popping up constantly that reading anything there is like attempting to talk with a dentist's hands and tools in your mouth. Some of these ad plagued sites might have to start paying people to visit them. Anyway, I hope absolute incognito mode is soon at hand. There's always Tor.

Chrome owned by Google. Google makes money on all type of ads.

Chrome and Internet explorer are probably the worst browsers ever

Firefox and Firefox clones allow you to block these type of things.

I should get to choose what websites allow these type of things and ones I do not

Apparently, incognito mode has been fixed in Chrome so that one can now prevent paywall websites from becoming cognizant that a user is in incognito mode. Hence, one can now become truly incognito, incognito, or let's hope that is the case.

And to enhance one's incognito experience, if so desired, one can now enable "dark" mode for websites while using the Chrome browser, but still in beta for now. Given these two added features of Chrome, one can now hang around in the shadows for sure.

I am using 74 Stable release on my Chomebook, so I guess 2 more upgrades till I get dark mode.

According to the second linked article, one needs to be on the “beta” version of Chrome 76 in order to get the option to turn dark mode on and off. At least I think that’s what the article is saying.

How do some websites know your browser is running an ad blocker extension? Is there any way to stop it from knowing?

Also, how can you block website ads on Android?

On Android browsers like uc browser had built in and I think the new Firefox has the VPN built in. Not sure about ad block

"How does a site know you're using AdBlock?
One common way sites can detect ad blockers is to download a tiny piece of JavaScript code as "bait" for an ad blocker. Then they use another piece of code to test whether the download occurred. If the download is blocked, then the site assumes an ad blocker is in use regardless of how it was blocked. This is why a site may decide you're using an ad blocker even if you aren't."

"Why doesn't AdBlock try to bypass ad-block blockades?"

"Here’s how to block ads on your Android phone"

I noticed these security and privacy concerns about UC Browser, which have hopefully been addressed.

"Security
Research has found that UC Browser is insecure, with many vulnerabilities and privacy issues.

According to Qualys SSL Lab test and High-Tech Bridge's SSL/TLS Security Report,[25] Logjam, FREAK, and POODLE vulnerabilities are found in UC Browser.[26] UC Browser uses an outdated RC4 cipher cryptography with deprecated SSL 3 or even SSL 2 protocol which has many security flaws.[27]

In March 2019 Dr. Web researchers publicly disclosed that UC Browser and UC Browser Mini for Android was downloading and installing extra modules from company's own servers via unprotected HTTP channel. This exposed browser users to arbitrary remote code execution if attacker was able to perform man-in-the-middle attack to deliver malicious module (but no cases of exploitation were publicly disclosed). Furthermore, this violates Google Play policies that forbid Google Play apps to download any executable code from any sources outside of Google Play. Researchers contacted both UCWeb Inc. and Google prior to the disclosure, but as of March 26, neither app was patched yet and users are still vulnerable to the attack.[2"

Oh!!!!!!