Google Voice VoIP calling is here for all, at last

Now I remember why I did not like GV... Can't call out on a phone without a cell #. (Can't call out without first confirming the device's phone number)

you no longer need to confirm the cell phone # of the phone to use the new GV app.....you can even activate it on a phone with no cellular service.

I tried with a FP LTE SIM using the phone dialer but it would not dial out... maybe I am missing something...

For a long time now, if you have the Hangouts dialer app installed, you can use a phone with no cell service or no sim in it to receive calls or or call out over wifi using your GV#. When we get it, the updated GV app should allow the same.

Re: Having a confirmed number. I was just looking at Scott Johnston's, head of the GV app update, Twitter feed concerning the VOIP update, where he said a confirmed # would still be needed with the GV app Voip feature, but it is unclear to me if he was talking about a confirmed cell service # and/or a confimed GV #, for one can use Hangouts wifi calling without anything but a GV #, which of course would have to be confirmed. Someday soon when someone actually has the updated voip app, we shall see.

Scott Johnston

"You will still need a verified number with VOIP"

I wonder if Scott Johnson is referring to the verified number needed to sign up for Google Voice, rather than implying that the device used with Google Voice app must have active service.

A verified phone number has always (to the best of my knowledge) been required to sign up with Google Voice. That number doesn't have to be in active use with the Google Voice app.

That's my take. Someone on Twitter had asked Johnston if the window where a user was asked to verify the phone would disappear once they had the GV Voip update, and he, Johnston, said what I posted above, which could have been clearer, I suppose. I guess he was saying what you mentioned, and the devil is in the details, details that are often restricted by Twitter's format.

Edit: I should have read further, for, yes, Scott Johnston was referring to to the verified # when signing up for GV.

Scott Johnston

"You will still need a verified number with VOIP"

https://twitter.com/happyinwater/status/1088425238931668994

"Replying to @ao9news @paxxman and 2 others
ultraklystron Retweeted Scott Johnston
You just were contradicted (or perhaps I was imprecise with my phrasing): https://twitter.com/happyinwater/status/1088911527376285696 … ??

ultraklystron added,
Scott Johnston

@happyinwater
Replying to @karlrolson @hallstephenj
You will still need a verified number with VOIP
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply 1 Retweet Like Direct message

Scott Johnston

@happyinwater
Jan 25
More
Ah, sorry, misunderstood. You need the number to sign-up for Voice, not to make a call once you are verified."

UPDATE: Scott Johnston said 4 hours ago: "Still rolling out (controlled on the server side, not via app update). We might not get to 100% this week. I'll Tweet once we finish."

Said 25 minutes ago by Scott Johnston from Google:
Replying to @paxxman @karlrolson and 2 others
"Controlled on the server side, not by the app version. It looks like the roll-out won't finish this week, so will continue into next week."

Don't know, but I have yet to see one person who has reported having received the updated GV Voip App.

I think I have it.

I have the same version on my phone but no VOIP yet, so don't think so...

I also have some iOS devices, those don't have VOIP on Google Voice yet either.

On my laptop, the option is grayed out in the settings (and no reference to VOIP). I don't think it's rolled out to my account yet:

Until you have the following option in the call setting on your phone, I believe you do not have the coming GV Voip app.

"Make calls over the internet on Google Voice
You can use Wi-Fi and mobile data instead of minutes from your mobile phone plan to make phone calls on Google Voice.

Important: You can't make emergency calls using Google Voice with your account. To call 911, use your device’s phone app.

Important: Emergency calling is only available for Google Voice accounts managed by your work or school, and only in the U.S. and Canada.

Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad
Turn on Wi-Fi calling
On your Android device, open the Google Voice app Google Voice.
At the top left, tap Menu Menu and then Settings.
Under "Calls," tap Make and receive calls.
Select Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data.
To turn off Wi-Fi calling, select Use carrier only."

VOIP still isn't deployed to my account yet, anyone else?

Not me, either. Google is running late with the voip update, but the project manager says it's rolling out, though I have not heard of one person who has received the update , yet. "Soon".

https://twitter.com/happyinwater/status/1091112389880225794

Now you have. :slight_smile:
I had my iPhone GV updated to allow VOIP just after the announcement but I have been using GV VOIP calling on Android for a LONG time before that and very good quality Hangouts VOIP ages before that. I didn't even realize I was an "Early Adopter" till lately.

I was under the impression that early adopters or beta testers had to fill out a required Google form in order to receive the beta voip capability on their GV app.

It's possible I clicked through some innocuous opt in but I definitely don't remember going through some formal process to "apply" or the like. I might have been a guinea pig just because of the volume of voice calls I used to do for business before I and many others began adopting other voip style apps for business like Skype, Telegram etc.

Just saw a few reports from people saying they got the GV VOIP update today, and they can call without a sim in their phone via the GV app.

My app's updated, shows this now! :slight_smile:

Good to hear. But where's my update?
Anyway, I'll have to wait a bit to check out the purported superior voice the app now has.

Why turn off wifi calling and set to use carrier only? I though we would want to use wifi calling.