Google voice questions

From what I have seen with Google Voice,

• if there is no data/wifi available, it won't forward text messages to the Freeup number. It also won't let you send text messages without data/wifi.
  • if there is no data/wifi available, it WILL forward incoming calls to the Freeup (or forwarding number).

Hope this helps.

Edit -

I am very surprised that calling works without data/wifi. In my experience, it doesn't. (Although I don't know what you mean by "it dials a unique number" - I have never tried that route).

I have been trying to get this to work but am totally stumped. The part that I can't wrap my head around is this one -

What does "unique number for each contact" mean, and where is it stored?

Can someone please share instructions on how to call in the absence of data/wifi using Google Voice? Step-by-step instructions, ideally! :slight_smile:

All help very much appreciated.

It's a free service to sign up for, and as long as you use it to communicate between your Google Voice number and other U.S. numbers, it's totally free to place calls and send text messages. mybk-experience.onl mc-d.uno

From within the GV app, the path is Settings -> Make and receive calls -> Select Use carrier only (rather than Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data).

On iOS, you will be prompted to call a number other than the one you actully wish to call. Essentially, the GV app dials that number then bridges the call to the number one actually wishes to dial.

On Android, you won't see the other number. The call will appear to be going directly to the number you wish to call, though the GV app is still dialing another number in the background then bridging the call.

Re native apps...

If somebody sends a text to your GV# and you've set up GV properly to FW to your carrier#, then your native messaging app will show a weird # (thanks to GV magic) that you will then assign to that contact in a secondary field. And you'll know who it is cuz GV prefaces the message with their name if they're in your contacts. From that point on, it's fine to use the native app to call or text them and it'll appear as your GV# on their end.