FreedomPop

Sorry, I'm uninitiated with Python. Where do I install it (Android app? Desktop?) and which file do I run to install it?

Thanks

It might be more than you want to tackle then! I'm thinking of making an Android app based on that script, so you could just wait for that.

Otherwise, you have to run it on a desktop computer right now. Let me know your desktop operating system (Windows 7, Mac, etc.) and I could lay out the process, if you wanted to proceed.

@tonywagner I use Windows 7 and 10.

So both incoming and outgoing for CDMA voice. This is great. Are you finding the calls reliable now? $3.99 for 200 CDMA voice+VOIP, 500 text, and up to 1500mb data is certainly a strong contender even compared to Tello.

However, to get voicemail and MMS, looks like you'd have to go with the Premium Plus for $7.99 a month... you'd also get tethering and rollover.

How do you set up that INCOMING calls come over CDMA cellular and not VoIP, if you have Premium Voice?

I have premium voice incoming and outgoing on my CDMA phone. It's as good as any Sprint MVNO on call quality as far as I can tell. There's a toggle switch on settings to do incoming. Not bad really for $3.99/month with 1GB of data. I just cant get text without the FP app but I use Hangouts.

I didn't use Premium Voice much except for testing. I'd only use it for Google Voice forwarding, which would also take care of voicemail and MMS (and avoid having to use the FP Messaging app).

funny way to describe "zero rating"

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/comment/80011#Comment_80011

Doesn't premium voice only kick in when the data signal is terrible. Can you just toggle off data on your phone and force it to use celullar? Might be worth trying again - I tried it when it first came out a while back and it just didn't work well. I think I remember shouting at it to please just use cellular I really need to make this call! The voip connection was useless where I was but it wouldn't switch and I couldn't figure out how to force it.

They have changed Premium Voice since then. If you can use your phone's native dialer (and it hasn't been hijacked by FP, I think they did that on the phones they sold), that's all it should take to dial out via cellular. And checking the option in your FP account should make your dialer ring for incoming too.

That makes FP very inexpensive if it works that way now. It's hard to find decent info on their site. More of a great alternative to R+. Used to not work on iPhones as well, but I have read it does now too.

Yeah, Premium Voice is an interesting option now. But it has its shortcomings -- it's pretty much a hard limit at 200 minutes, regardless of whether you use native cell or VOIP, unless you upgrade your FP plan. Unlike data, FP doesn't have voice/text overages -- they just shut you off for the month when you hit your limit:

https://support.freedompop.com/app/featured/answer/id/2792

Thankfully, it seemed pretty easy to integrate with Google Voice and forwarding (at least on Android), which would effectively allow you to choose when to use those 200 cell minutes every month (just answer or dial out with the native dialer), while also giving you unlimited VOIP minutes/texts (plus voicemail) via Hangouts at the same GV number.

Yeah, I see that. Not great for those unlimited call guys who need perfect quality I suppose, but for us lower minutes guys who can't imagine using 200 minutes a month, like me, it's hard to beat it sounds like. If I use 10 texts a month, that's a huge use month for me. Even cheaper than Tello. But I see the GV connection there, which would work for me once I retire at end of year (but it would work without GV also). Would also work for my wife without GV. Will have to ponder that later in the year.

Strategy would be to make outgoing calls with GV as much as possible and let the incoming calls route through cellular - for higher reliability. But I hear there is lag... :frowning: Something that we tolerated for free at RingPlus but would now have to pay at Freedompop.

How does FP handle disabling auto-top up?

Auto Top Ups are for $15 each. They occur when your balance hits $2.

Data overages cost $0.02/MB.

It cost $5 to disable auto top up. The $5 is added to your account balance.

Your account balance becomes "inactive" after 3(?) months of non-use of it. It can be re-activated by calling customer service, which makes it available again. If it is inactive, you will be billed another Top Up if your balance is needed for overages.

If you disable auto top up, you lose 100 MB of your monthly data allotment. (It is reduced by 100 MB.) Data will cutoff when you're 100 MB below your monthly allotment.

If you do not disable auto top up, but your payment method expired or is no longer valid, you lose 100 MB from your monthly data allotment. Data will cutoff when you're 100 MB below your monthly allotment.

It seems your best option is to not disable auto top up, but instead have no working/billable credit card or payment method on your account.

Did I get a correct understanding above?

You reactivate your $5 with one click, yourself. No need to call customer service.

"But I hear there is lag... :frowning: Something that we tolerated for free at RingPlus but would now have to pay at Freedompop." - really? It should be exactly the same as native Sprint service for the premium calls. No? Someone has posted earlier he saw no difference. Are you saying this from experience, or, from hearing it from someone? And we are speaking of premium calls, not VOIP calls. Just wanting to make sure.

@Chelle If you forget to reactivate your inactive balance, will they charge you another Top Up?

What triggers the balance to become inactive? And how long after it becomes inactive do you have to reactivate it?

I tried it on the trial. Not the 1.5 sec lag (mine was never that bad on Ringplus either) but lag regardless.

My $5 credits were inactive for 6 months and still reactivated with one click.

I was never charged any top ups in the meantime.

It becomes inactive after 90 days and can be reactivated whenever you want.