Freedompop sale at Best Buy!

I think that's a good decision-- especially if your partner needs to rely on it, and is less tech-savvy than you.

If you want 4 gb of data for one month, h2o has a trial one month $13.50 ( with shipping amazon) that comes out to about $3.50/ gb not including the unlimited talk and text Unlimited National and International Talk and Text, 1st Month 4 GB Data at 4G LTE Speed (if activated before 9/30/2018) and 2GB at 4GLTE after that. Regular pricing after.
They mentioned you can also get a new number. Maybe you don't have to port a number in.
https://www.amazon.com/TRANSFERRING-EXISTING-NUMBER-ONLY-Wireless/dp/B07CB26Q9B/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537308694&sr=8-4&keywords=h2o+sim+port+in

ebay $7/95 Port Your Number to H2o Wireless &get 1st Month Nano/micro/reg SIM Card for sale online | eBay
I have not tried either one of these so have no idea if they really work.
If all you need is minimal talk and text there are a few att mvno paygo options out there. Grump. the att mvno paygo options turn out to be just as expensive or more than buying a cheap $49.00 phone tracfone package and getting a 1200/1200/1200 minute package to use anytime during the year.
Oh Well.

Hi KentE & thanks !!:

You're absolutely on target there - and given that I'm the only lab rat here, t'would only be me trying it out - but that ain't gonna happen thanks to it being revealed here as...:
A - Samo-samo FP;
2 - Device fussy;
Q - Data dependent.

What we've got now is quite good & thanks to the help of a kind & generous soul (you know who you are !!) the other 1/2 can keep going with TF for her GSM coverage needs for some time to come.

Just a note specifically regarding h2o wireless for anyone unaware of exactly what they are:
Straight up AT&T - not some kind of MVNO, but a wholly owned 'baby bell'.

My own exposures to them dating back to when they were 'oxygen', consumer cellular (another baby bell) & services directly from the parent company itself ALL included large, sudden, unexplained overcharges.

Advice given in light of the above:
ALWAYS read your bills from any of them very carefully !!!

I just hope that Redpocket is NOT another baby bell - but even if it is, at least there will be no monthly bill to fear with a year prepaid.
Phew.

BESTbuy on sales now for $9.99 / 3 months. anyone know if I buy more now and activate later is ok? so that 4 cards = 1 year of 1G/month.

I have seen a Freedompop rep say that the multi-month SIMs can be activated later, although s/he did not specify if there was a final time limit.

The 12 month/1g plan has been on sale several times lately, usually alternating between Best Buy and Target every few weeks, for $45. Might be worth the extra peace of mind to pay the extra $5.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedompop-12-month-prepaid-3-in-1-lte-sim-card-kit/6296211.p?skuId=6296211

12 mo 5GB for $120 (20% discount). Maybe get 30% cash back using Samsung Pay (probably covers purchase of this... unsure...)

FP 39.99 amzn

Again, useless post because you are intentionally omitting the details of the $40 plan.

Thanks, PEW and Mark!
Best Buy has those prices on both pre-loaded SIMs. Amazon has only the 39.99 (1GB/mo) pre-loaded SIM. For straight data, these are pretty incredible prices.

When you say you can't port in a number does that mean I can't get FP to change ph # on one of my currently active SIMs to this new SIM.

Thinking of getting this since 250mb's data is almost not enough for me. I may be willing to "splurge" lol on paying what amounts to $3.33/month for 1gb data for 1 yr for the peace of mind & less hassle than SIM swapping.

I did just get free 2gig for 1 month on one SIM so that was nice.

When I read up on the pre-loaded SIMs, a FreedomPop response said that porting in was not free with the pre-loaded SIMs. But..... what you're wanting to do isn't exactly a port, but an internal transfer. I suspect, but haven't investigated, that it would be possible to 'merge' 2 FreedomPop lines even if one of them is a pre-loaded SIM. (This has been the way FreedomPop has always done moving one phone # to a different FP device-- you have to activate the new SIM with a new number, and then ask FP support to move the phone number from the old device to the new device.) I don't remember, though, whether this was discussed/allowed or not.

akaLTD, this might be a good question to reach out right away to the twitter FP Support (@FreedomPopHelp) for an answer. They're usually pretty quick to respond, usually in a matter of hours.

If you'e inclined, buying the 12-month SIM today from Best Buy's Ebay store (using the Ebay app) would get you another 15% off the current $39.99 sale price.
See st3fx's post here: https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/general/1357-hot-deals?start=240#31323

Thanks Kent! I may have waited too long & missed out on getting response from FP now. But I'll still try.

And missed getting in on the ebay deal. Maybe it or something close to it will come up again. I'd at least have the same ph # for a year which would still be helpful. I don't really give out my FP # anyway except to my elderly Mom. It would be better than swapping SIMs & having different ph #'s every so often. Hard for her to keep up with what # to call if she needs to contact me.

Was reading FP thread on Slickdeals & FP rep posted this regarding the GSM LTE SIM 3 or 12 month BB "deals" along with some other info as it was originally posted in May 2018, for anyone else curious about it:

Will I be able to keep my current FreedomPop number?
Yes! With this LTE SIM account you will first need to choose a new number and if desired to transfer over your number on an active FreedomPop account please contact us here for Admin assistance via PM or visit our Community Forums with your transfer requests.
*Please note, porting your number from a different carrier is not currently compatible with this Prepaid SIM Card offer.