Free Shoes For Life: Guilty, But Not Guilty

A confused cheapskate? Maybe this fellow should hook up with the person who returned the dead Xmas tree to Costco. I suppose the "give someone an inch and they'll take a mile" rubric may apply here.
"Customers of a retail store should not be expected to be strict Constitutional originalists. If the intent behind a given policy varies from the text of the policy, then it’s incumbent on the company to change the text of the policy to better reflect its intent. That’s not the customer’s responsibility." Common sense would most assuredly dictate that the company did not intend to provide free shoes and clothing to many of its customers for life.

"But now the policy is history, and I can no longer count on getting a free pair of new shoes every single year for the rest of my life. " No kidding. Yet, the new policy states the return warranty will "only" be good for one year, so does this mean he has one more pair of free shoes to be had?

"...and my wife, for one, is thrilled. The shoes I’ve been exchanging for six years are hideous."

He says he has been exchanging them every year... seems like he can continue doing that if he really wanted to.

And if he can't, at least he'll be able to say, "It's Bean fun while it lasted." :slight_smile:

Yeah--he can walk away with $40X7 years=$280 bucks saved, which amounts to more than a hill of beans, and, as mmfacemm said, he can still get a free pair of his ugly shoes every year. I once visited the original L.L. Bean store in Freeport, Maine and it was a bit pricey for me, but I was unaware of the infinite free replacement policy, which would have made things a bargain. Here's an article from a New Yorker who grew up in Maine: