Data protection feature

Yesterday, 68mb used in 9 min span (based on reported time)... SIM locked. Again, I was on a dual sim phone and did e-swap sims (did not know sim had been/would be locked), so did not notice. Looks like FP is either intentionally or unintentionally trying to frustrate its users.

If prices continue dropping, perhaps time to go with a paid service... or CN where you can get your monthly bill partially or fully paid for by swiping ads.

I've used 100mb in 7 minutes and no lock out. I've used 300mb since the start of this test and I'm still going. And my normal usage has been 0mb-10mb a month so definitely should be considered a spike.

Edit - Now 440mb used. Still going. It seems pretty certain my account has no protection/restrictions on it. Maybe chat with freedompop on facebook messenger. They might be able to switch it off yours if it is a setting they have control over.

Edit 2 - made it all the way to 700mb. Was supposed to shut off at 600mb? I think since i had autopay off but it carried on anyway (unless they no longer do that?). I did get an email about being within 50mb of my allotment. I manually shut it off in case freedompop decided to charge me for going over 700mb. You never know. The last four entries in my account had data in blocks of 50mb.

So there you go no limits at all for me. Not even the one that is supposed to be there.

Can you log in to your FP account and see if the website starts with a message for your to "reactivate the SIM"? Maybe it does not stop data, just has that message on log on...

No message

when you pay five bucks to have auto topup diasabled, when would fp cut off your data? 600m or 700m? what about voice? will fp cut it off at something like 180th minute?

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/26299/byod-lte-sim-data-threshold

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2117/~/is-it-possible-to-exceed-my-data-limit?
"Please note: If you are using a Global SIM card, instead of a device from FreedomPop, you will be charged the $15 Top Up when your usage is within 20MBs, instead of 100MBs. There is a difference in the data threshold for SIM card accounts."

So seems to be designed around the LTE SIM timely reporting... if you are on Global SIM, watch out.

thank you pew

I used ~500 MB in ~40 mins (tethering by 2 other phones, both streaming YouTube), & SIM was not locked.

The block size of reported usage on FreedomPop's site vary, with many at 20.01 MB, many lower, & 2 higher at 22.01 MB & 24.01 MB.

I haven't been able to replicate the data block, either, so far. I've only tested on one line, and I'm taking the other approach of "typical" usage for me, but at higher levels. (I've only streamed short YouTube elements, downloaded a few app updates, read news sites, etc.)

My typical use on this SIM is probably less than 50mb/month. I'm at 250 mb now, and only 2 days into the 30-day month. So far, no data block.

On one LTE SIM, used 694MB out of 700MB... not sure if it stopped on its own, if the user realized and stopped using it, or if the user had data cap set and it engaged.

That is cutting it close!

One LTE SIM tonight did not have the data protection feature kick in... overage of 150mb before user realized wifi was left off after returning home. So, feature definitely not consistent across all SIMs.

BTW, the $5 to turn off auto-topup would pay for 200mb overage (rate $0.025).

Not just me!

Yes, I've been meaning to post-- I saw another thread somewhere in the last couple of days, with similar reports of deactivated accounts with data usage as low as 80mb.
It's hard to see the logic behind this- the only thing that makes sense to me is FP doing this to discourage the practice of SIM rotating/swapping to use the data from multiple SIMs. The fallout is that it will also discourage anyone who is using a single (or multiple) SIMs only as backup or for occasional use.