College Admissions Bribe Scandal

This College Admissions Bribe Scandal is really dismaying me as it relates to our future

"One of Silicon Valley’s most prominent voices for ethical investing is implicated in a college admissions bribery scandal"

Don't let it get you down.

It's hard to not " let it get me down"

2 years ago we had a family member with an outstanding GPA and an impeccable community involvement record lose out on a scholarship under questionable circumstances. He had originally been granted the scholarship, but it was withdrawn due to a clerical error, i.e., this spot had already been filled unbeknownst to the administrator.

"The U.S. college admissions scandal that erupted this week has triggered private litigation accusing rich, well-connected parents of buying spots for their children at prestigious schools, and keeping children of less wealthy parents out."

http://news.trust.org/item/20190314135743-dob9p

It would be nice if regardless which college (or vocational school) your kid goes to they could get a decent education and have a good life. Of course, I'm being naive...

Here is an interesting Quora discussion from a few years ago:

ETA:
From Quora discussion: "USC could not really have been called a research university until the 80s and 90s. Priorities were simply different back then. If you were a wealthy kid who wanted a posh liberal arts education, you'd just get your parents to buy you into an Ivy League. Harvard and Yale had 25% acceptance rates, the University of Pennsylvania let in 70% of kids who applied. Alternatively, if your rich parents just wanted to get you out of the house and into a nice job, they would get you into USC a.k.a the go-to upper class professional network in Southern California. As California had no ivy league school, USC was the closest thing to an ivy "good ole boys" network. I mean, they could have sent their kids to UCLA or Berkeley, but then your kid wouldn't be making many elite business connections hanging around scientists and kids from no-name families."

st3fx wrote: It would be nice if regardless which college (or vocational school) your kid goes to they could get a decent education and have a good life.

Very well said.:slight_smile: