Changes to Freedompop free plans

Got the new SIM either yesterday or today (lol who knows). My plan renewed today as normal and the SIM packaging states to activate by 10/15. Doubt they will take any action in that short period of time. Should they, oh well. So long!

I'm beginning to suspect that the upgrade SIMs are not pre-associated with any particular account when FreedomPop mailed them. If so, I think you can use them for entirely new activation (i.e. just go through Activate | FreedomPop instead of Plans | FreedomPop). If anyone attempts this, please post results!

This migration involves porting number out of CLEC Bandwidth.com (wireline) to AT&T/Red Pocket (wireless), activating new SIM with ported number and shutting off old data-only SIM. There are many moving parts involved.

For anyone considering migrating, check your FP numbers at this site before and after to confirm what I'm saying:
https://freecarrierlookup.com

My FP carrier shows as "Neutral Tandem-Illinois, LLC - IL" when pulling the number associated with the plan (prior to migrating the number out to anyone). As expected, it also indicates it is not a wireless number. I do recall in the past something else when I ported out another number from FP to another carrier.

I do agree there are lots of moving parts and stuff can certainly go wrong in the process.

Thank you very much for checking.

My FP numbers also shows carrier as "Neutral Tandem-Illinois, LLC - IL".

Perhaps I was mistaken about FP using Bandwidth.com CLEC.

I may have been confusing FP with now defunct Ring.to. Sorry!

I don't think you were mistaken-- but only out of date. I'm also pretty certain that FreedomPop was using Bandwidth during the RingPlus era, but mine also shows Neutral Tandem-Illinois when checking a little earlier.

Thanks, @KentE.

Btw, here is another carrier lookup tool that also works with toll-free numbers.

https://scammerblaster.com/carrier-lookup/

For FP numbers, shows: "Onvoy LLC former Neutral Tandem-SVR/1"

I haven't received one yet, but I pretty much guarantee the new sims were not associated with any particular account when mailed. That would take a lot of work!

Just like how the logins for the new "premium.freedompop.com" site aren't really associated with the main site (I think the emails were copied over, but not passwords).

Regardless of what entity provides the registration for the VoIP FP SIMs, everything you mentioned about the steps and complication involved in changing to the new voice-enabled SIMs seems spot-on to me. A good warning that this is not as simple as it looks! Definitely too complicated to try to do everyone simultaneously.

Thanks for the alternative lookup service: I'll have to play with that, especially since it's detailing info a little differently than freecarrierlookup. I did see Onvoy mentioned in a quick google search for Neutral Tandem, but didn't go very deep into reading about it.

Update:
So far, it continues to work and I even reactivated a $10 top up that I have had lingering for quite some time now. Speaking of the Top Up balance, has anyone had recent experience receiving the Top Up balance once the service is terminated? Thanks!

Back when they cancelled my Sprint hotspot plan, they changed their policy and no longer issued refunds on the top up balance. I did at least get them to transfer the balance to one of my AT&T SIMs. Don't know if this policy has changed since.

Our two ATT LTE FreedomPop free plans just renewed today. Same 200 minutes, 500 texts, 250 mb data. Made calls, sent text, using data. Fingers crossed it stays this way (Grandfathered).

Just checked my account, as with Chosen, mine still shows the old plan.

I didn't have a phone capable of WiFI calling on AT&T: any practical use of the new free plan seems like it would be needed.

I found an AT&T Prepaid Radiant Core on clearance at Target for $15 , and It's supposed to have WiFI calling.
I don't have one of the new SIMs to test yet, though.
If anyone is interested, here's a link to see if your local Target might have this in stock, and current price.:

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=080-02-0186

Picked up 2 today. Thanks

Interesting that it has a removable battery. Is that common on phones in this price point?

Oddly, removable batteries seem more common on phones at the lower end of the price scale.

I also always thought it odd that phones at the top of the price scale usually don't have a slot for added memory. Or headphone connectors.

Go figure.

Hi, all!

We've noticed some comments regarding the upgraded Freemium allotment being less than what was provided before. Well, in order to provide a sustainable service and improved customer experience, we've adjusted our plans and upgraded them to cellular voice. Our new Free Plan provides you with the best of both worlds.

Yes, this means no more use of the messaging app in order to call or text.

Feel free to reference our self-help guide regarding the upgraded Freemium Service or continue the conversation and we'll provide some further clarity.

Thanks!

I have this phone but it does not have Wi-Fi calling.

It supports VoLTE on AT&T (and its MVNOs), but not Wi-Fi calling.

Thanks

Could you please drop the requirement to renew manually each month. For such a small allotment it is simply not worth the effort or stress to keep on top of this.

Also the automatic upgrade to 500mb for $8 if you run out of data should have an opt out for those who want to control costs. The old freedompop would have stealth charges like this where you got hit with a charge even if you didn't want it and no one likes it. I've accidently used up data before and I certainly don't want to accidently have to pay for the extra 500mb because I didn't notice my wifi was on the fritz.