Can a Tracfone be activated if there is no coverage?

Just thought id report that the 360 days is not doing the thing (the site states the unlock is not eligible). Lets see what happens on day 365.

I wish they would give more info like ... your iphone x is currently locked. You have been active for 300 days. 60 more day until you can apply for an unlock.

But then how would they maintain their slimy reputation.

Alright, I have an update. It turns out that I made a mistake and looked at the wrong lines date (from another line) when calculating the active time... duh.. so the phone did not unlock correctly and Tracfone was not at fault in this case (I was off by 2 days).

The phone showed as eligible to unlock today (have been running it every day since that time not realizing my mistake until now). It is day 361 in this case (activated on 03/14/2020 and unlocked on 03/10/2021).

The process was much easier than expected besides the long as can be unlock codes that were necessary (two 16 digit numbers). LOL! I guess they really do not want people to have any chance at unlocking these without meeting the requirements. I mean, what are the changes of generating two seemingly different 16 digit numbers at random? Best play the lottery unless they happen to be using the same string of digits by carrier and model (unlikely).

Figured I'd report my experience just in case.

Here is another update. Without any trouble at all, I unlocked another eligible phone using the Tracfone unlocking site right after it became eligible (Moto E5 in this case). Unlocked it just because, as I have no need for that device to work elsewhere at this time (glove box type line that will remain with Tracfone). Either way, super easy although there are those two long strings of numbers and the device would mask each number once entered (a pain if you are not closely following the string). Figured I'd report this other unlock for the sake of others looking for multiple experiences following the Tracfone unlocking process.

Here is a new development. Another line for one of my family members should have become eligible for unlock.

Contrary to prior experience, the line did not unlock. Reached out to TracFone and was told that because there was no service paid (purchase was bundled with time), the phone could not be unlocked.

When the rep was prompted with the fact that a phone with bundled time is more expensive thus the service is "paid", the rep said that bundled time did not count. The rep offered to unlock the phone for a fee of almost $120.00 because the phone had been active within the network for more than a year.

Just thought I'd share for those that followed this thread.

That is very bad news. Early on in Tracfone's unlocking history, I believe they had this policy-- but for the last year and a half or so, all reports I've seen are that bundled airtime that came with that specific phone counted.

Did you call specifically to the number listed on the Unlocking Portal page? If your phone meets that criteria, and you were counting on unlockig it, I'd ask to be escalated, and file an FCC complaint if it wasn't allowed. (Tracfone does not like FCC complaints.)

Anecdotal, of course, as almost all Tracfone info is-- I unlocked a phone successfully last March using the bundled airtime as 'paid service' qualifier. I haven't had another with 12 months of service since then.

(EDIT: oops, just read back through earlier posts in this thread, and I see that tech-stitch unlocked 2 phones in March under similar circumstances. Hope the current one declined isn't the new policy.)

Id try another agent because that is quite frankly BS! And if they won't budge an FCC complaint. They admitted you have had 12 months of service.

I called the number on the Unlocking Portal page. Surprisingly, the rep was pleasant and had a good demeanor unlike a previous experience years ago. I did not escalate, as I figured I was not going to fight for a phone I did not need unlocked at the moment.

I may file the FCC complaint to see if they are more inclined, as i have found dealing with reps over the phone is well... Not ideal under most circumstances.

Edit:
They seem to be hung up on bundled time being "bonus / upaid time". Funny because phones with time are typically more expensive, but hey, I suppose I technically did not buy a plan.

@Tech-Stitch, did you go to the unlocking page first, or did you directly call the Unlocking department?

(I have a bundled phone that will complete 12 months at the end of this year so this new development sure worries me)

I disagree: you did buy a plan, a bundled one.

Yes, in fact, I always go to their website to do this because of that one initial experience years ago. That said, the website failed unlike the prior reported unlocks.

That's pretty much the point of filing an FCC complaint: it leaves Tracfone in the position of explaining to the FCC why a plan that you paid for as part of a bundle is not a plan that you paid for. My thought: since Tracfone's already been under a consent decree once over failure to meet their claims about unlocking phones, they might decide to take the easy path, and unlock it.

I'll most likely proceed that route when I get a chance, as I don't want to deal with reps on that particular line. Thanks to all that have shared their thoughts!

IIRC, someone on Howard Forums had trouble unlocking their bundle because they had changed their phone number. So the unlocking system mis-counted their days of service. From what I recall, it all ended well and the phone was successfully unlocked.

Any chance your phone had some similar history that could have triggered the unlocking problems?