Brick and Mortar Redux

"Around 90% of Americans live within 10 miles of Walmart's brick-and-mortar stores, giving the company a significant advantage over its competitors. "

We all know there are a great number of Walmart physical stores in the US, but I had no idea that 90% of Americans live within 10 miles of one. In the competitive and growing battle to procure consumers who want their groceries delivered, Walmart takes the "location is everything" mantra to heart. Of course the rise in home delivery of groceries will likely contribute to the nation's dismal time spent exercising by eliminating the walking done while shopping and going to an from the parking lot, but, who knows, it does free up more time for exercising.

Interesting article! I wish I shared your optimism about Walmart shoppers replacing their in-store walking regimen with other exercise, but speaking from personal experience (my own habits) I doubt that that will be the case. Too bad, since Walmart patrons are already often the subject of unflattering online photo collections as they enter, shop, and/or exit the store.

Oh, there is one thing that gets me motivated to exercise no matter what. When my wife (who is a most excellent cook) yells, "Dinner's ready," I run to the table. (Not very aerobic, but it probably burns off at least the first bite, anyway. :))

Motivation is key. Your "running for dinner" notion got me thinking in that there used to be an old-fangled notion concerning "singing for your supper", which I believe meant that one must do something to earn ones supper. If medical brain researchers could invent a pill that magically make us run in place for 30 minutes each time before we eat, then the calories burnt could equal the calories absorbed. Sort of like the carrot on a stick concept, though I'm not suggesting we be like mules.

This thread brings many things to mind...

I may be the exception whereby even though there are 2 wally-mopps around here - either is a 40+ minute drive on a clear day - and the stores themselves are quite a contrast to each other.
To the west there is a a smaller store in a bad neighborhood which is often poorly stocked;
To the east is a 'supercenter' in a nice enough area which is usually very well stocked.
A trip to either is always an 'exercise' in planning though, as I will not just head out to someplace most of an hour's drive away for yuks.

Makes me glad I live in a somewhat remote area, actually !!

I share your sentiments, but in a different way, seeing as how we live just about halfway between L.A. and San Diego (hardly a remote area). There is a chain of Norm's restaurants in So Cal (and maybe a few other locales, not sure) that serves massive amounts of food for very little $$$. Fortunately for my waistline, the closest one is about 30 minutes away, when there is light traffic (which around here is seldom). It keeps me from going there too often, although we have been known to make the trip just for a chance to enjoy their infamous "Bigger Better Breakfast" which is aptly named.

Sorry if this derailed the original intent of the thread, but at least the restaurant is made of bricks and mortar! And now, back to Walmart And Friends...

I echo your good fortune here D.D. !!
The only place we'll get a meal at other than at home is most of an hour away - and that is a goodness because if it were closer I'd likely want to eat (too much) lunch there very regularly.
As it is - maybe once a month we'll get there & that is quite enough for happiness & health.

"Sorry if this derailed the original intent of the thread, but at least the restaurant is made of bricks and mortar! And now, back to Walmart And Friends..."
**Not at all. I've sampled some of those virtual restaurants and the food wasn't good, even though it wasn't fattening either. Brick and mortar restaurants are here to stay.

About 40 years go, I moved out to the desert boondocks leaving the crowded environs of LA. At that time, this area had a local hardware store, a few small markets, about two non big name fast food places, and not much more. Nowadays, this arer is looking a lot like the LA I left 40 years ago. And I now have a Walmart almost exactly 10 miles away.