Apple : Good Intentions

Just looking out! :slight_smile: lol

I wonder if the same "features" are applied to Mac's too.

I read an article about that recently. It seems there may be 2 sides to the story.

From Apple's view: the issue is degrading batteries. As batteries degrade, they throttle the performance of the phone, which is intended to get you through the day with a weaker battery, rather than part way through the day with a snappier phone.

This might be a reasonable trade-off for users. If it's actually working that way, it would be nice if Apple had explained it would happen, and that a new battery would restore the snappy behavior. It would have also prevented folks from thinking that Apple was slowing older iPhones solely to encourage purchase of a new iPhone.

Wow!
Did,
you actually watch the video?
The battery issue was definitely addressed.
It's sounds a lot like your post.:slight_smile:

Just wanted to provide a new topic for discussion.

You caught me there, Soteria 2.0. I did not watch the video before posting-- I have now.

The video sill seems tilted (to me) towards the conspiracy theorists. (And I love a good conspiracy theory, and believe they're sometimes true.)
Here's the same basic information, but from a different source, with a different slant:
https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/12/heres-why-youre-experiencing-throttling.html

The nice graphs correlating new iPhone releases to the slowdowns in the video seems impressive. The article I read correlated the slowdown to IOS updates, which may tend to come along about the same time as new iPhone releases. (Updated IOS requires more horsepower, which the older battery can't provide. Or the slow-down fix was an important feature of the update to yield better usability of an older phone. Or the IOS update was pushed specifically to cripple the phones: take your pick. Interestingly, the article I read indicated that older iPhones are immune to the slowdown (but not immune to battery issues & shutdowns), since the newer IOS updates can't be applied.)

Maybe it's nefarious. It seems possible that those inclined to sue would have find grounds either way-- either 'my phone shuts down' or 'my phone slowed down'.

I'm not aware of many manufacturers who encourage owners to fix or upgrade an already-owned device over selling them a new one, especially at the retail store level. Usually those of us inclined to do that are left to find our own way, even if that way is supported by the manufacturer. Intentionally 'nerfing' an older device specifically to sell a new device would indeed be bad behavior, if that's what's happening.

Re: conspiracy theories and encouraged upgrades: I had a friend who worked for one of the major manufacturers of electronic musical synthesizers, in the development department. He told me that at any time, the company had already developed 2 generations in advance of the current model, and could release that latest generation anytime they desired-- but they wouldn't. By introducing only one generation step at a time, they benefited from multiple upgrade purchases from the same individual, while releasing the 2-generation upgrade immediately would cut them out of an upgrade profit opportunity.

Job well done!
Seriously, I think it's a real concern, and an interesting video. Very good presentation.

Here's a recent good intention from Apple. Get a new iphone battery for $29 rather than $79. But this battery issue seems unrelated to slowdowns caused by ios updates that cause older devices to perform poorly, no matter how new and healthy the battery.

so looks like the retail markup of the battery plus labor is $50. ;p

If Apple had been transparent and, perhaps, even gave the user the ability to toggle between maximum performance and maximum battery life then this would not have been an issue. It's the veil of secrecy that's got them in hot water.