Any gotcha with Sprint 1 year 'free' unlimited service?

I was not charged the activation fee, either, although the offer specified it. Sprint waived the activation fee entirely when I finished the activation via phone-- as they did for many (most?) activating via phone at that time. I don't know how long that lasted, or how many folks had the activation fee waived.

Have you received your first bill? That's where the activation fee initially appears. Keep the eyes peeled to be sure they credit it back by the 2d invoice. FWIW, Sprint Reps cannot waive activation fees. The ability to do so was totally removed from their tool set some time last year. Never, ever, ever rely on such assurances from Sprint reps They're notoriously slippery. No shade, it's a well-known fact.

So I freed up a Moto G4 that was on Tello by swapping in a placeholder ESN. Then a few hours later, I checked the device eligibility on page for the Sprint 1-year-unlimited free deal, but the device was ineligible. For the phone number, I entered one from 1 of my active FreedomPop LTE SIMs that was currently not in any phone. I called Sprint, & the customer service rep confirmed that the device was ineligible, with the reason being unknown.

The device was ready for activation according to Ting & Tello BYOD.

For all of the above, the Moto G4 was left turned on with an FP LTE SIM.

Could it be the wholesale/retail issue? As in, the device is now available on Sprint network only for MVNOs, but not for the mothership?

Yes sounds like it jamielih

Very likely. I was even able to swap my Moto G5+ into Tello and make a call.

When you go online to https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree
and enter your info, do you get "Sorry, but our records show you still owe Sprint for this device. Sign in to find this device on your account." also?

I called and explained the possible Retail/Wholesale issue and the CS opened a Click-It ticket for me... waiting for them to work on the issue next week.

Note: I was able to successfully get an iPhone working, so FP LTE phone number would be fine... I guess even FP Sprint BYOD numbers since the number is a virtual number, not a Sprint number.

I don't recall seeing anyone claim they'd used a FreedomPop Sprint number-- not saying it couldn't work, just that I don't know. I did test both FP SIM and FP-Gobal SIM #'s back when I signed up, and both of those were approved.

Anyone know for sure if the free unlimited plan includes free Global Roaming data?

Yes. I used it in Canada.

Must've been pretty cool, eh? So just fast enough to keep Hangouts messaging and email, right? I can't imagine browsing on 2G speed unless you have some compression/light browser.

Sprint roaming in Canada was slow. I brought the Sprint phone just for testing. I used Cricket SIM in Canada with full speed LTE roaming on Rogers Wireless.

The freedompop global sim international roaming speed is good.

Silly, silly me - finally decided to switch my CN phone & another currently using Twigby to this offer....

Both passed the online checker here: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring-your-own-phone.html
This page took each phone's IMEI & phone number for their testing.

And that page also says these things:

• Free service for 1 year for new customers who switch to Sprint and sign up on sprint.com/1yearfree. Save until 1/31/19.
  • Requires a Sprint SIM card, eBill and Sprint AutoPay ($5/mo./line discount applied within two invoices)
  • Go to sprint.com/1yearfree and confirm your phone’s eligibility
  • You’ll need a SIM Kit. We’ll ship you one (SIM card is $2.99 ea. and $10 shipping & handling + tax)
  • Once you receive it, go to sprint.com/activatenow to complete your activation

The CN phone doesn't use a SIM - has no place to insert one; the other phone already has a Sprint SIM & is still on Twigby.

Tried their chat & got told over & over that SIMs are REQUIRED - then to go to a Sprint Store, which is most of an hour's drive from here.

Any ideas, please, of how to do this 100% online - I don't really want to mess with ther store !!

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Hi ET!
When I looked at this deal a while back I found that only certain phones are eligible. I didn't have any phone on the list so I passed.
I copied this list from the sprint website. https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree BTW the website says this is only offered online, not in stores.
Hope this helps.

Alcatel IDOL5
Apple iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 6
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Apple iPhone 6s
Apple iPhone 6s Plus
Apple iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 8 (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone 8 Plus (Verizon only)
Apple iPhone SE
Apple iPhone X (Verizon only)
BLU S1/VIVO S
Essential Phone
Google Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black/white/red) (Verizon only)
Google Nexus 5X (all versions)
Google Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black/white)
Google Nexus 6P (all versions)
Google Pixel
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel XL 2
HTC One A9 (Sprint Version only)
LG X Charge
moto e4
moto e4 plus
moto g4
moto g4 play
moto g4 plus
moto g5 plus
moto g5s plus special edition
moto x pure edition
moto x4
moto z2 play
Orbic Wonder
Samsung Galaxy Note8 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

Sprint 1 year free deal can only be done either online if you ordering a SIM for $12.99 or call the special hotline 1-866-782-8777 if you have phone and SIM already. Phone numbers from Sprint MVNO will not work, however VOIP number from Google Voice or FreedomPop LTE SIM will work. For iPhone users, you can get a free nano SIM from Apple store.

Hi Als !!
I saw the list too - and tried the IMEIs anyhow, just for the halibut - and they passed - why ??
I dunno - and it looks like they don't know either !!

Thanks for the added info Zubrin.
It was posted here before that a CN user or 2 got into it - and that was a Sprint MVNO, right ??
(Perhaps the key word there may be 'was' ??)

I'll mess around with this some more & hopefully -something- will connect & work after all...or not.

Thanks, and Best Wishes.

My ported numbers are from Freedompop GSM SIMs. So, are not Sprint numbers. I believe it'd be the same case with Freedompop Sprint BYOD as the number is actually a virtual number, not a real Sprint number.

So I tried to activate the free year with my Moto G4 formerly on R+, Ting, & Tello. Sprint told me it was ineligible. So, activated a Moto G5+ successfully on free year with SIM from the G4.

Sprint on Twitter opened a ticket to try to cause G4 to become eligible. As discussed elsewhere on forum, it's likely a prepaid / postpaid flag issue.

Then, after 1 week, tried to swap out the G5+ with a Moto E 2015 Sprint prepaid formerly on R+, Ting, & Tello, but Sprint phone CS said cannot use prepaid phone & further said that only my previous prepaid provider can potentially cause the Moto E to be swap-eligible. Is this same issue as the G4, even though the G4 started as an unlocked phone, while the Moto E started as a prepaid phone?

Does not make sense. FED flagged and wholesale can be moved to FED cleared and retail with a Click-It ticket. This was the case with my G5+, CS needs to get educated and submit the ticket for you.

Well, I know that the Moto E 2015 at issue is FED clear for MVNO, because Ting & Tello both said so. Also, it was most recently on Tello, Ting, & R+. I plan to see what Tello can do. If nothing, then I plan to stop by Sprint store. If nothing, I plan to tweet to Sprint.

Thursday, I'm going to the Sprint Accelerator (startup incubator / co-working space thing), so maybe I can find someone there to help.

I got the runaround and was ultimately told to exchange the brand new Moto G5+... finally, I called back and started talking about retail/wholesale, new phone, etc and the CS opened the Click-It ticket... took 2 work days and it started passing the Sprint online checker.