Another Old Man and the Sea

Shark soup sounds good, mate. Australian man injured after shark jumps into boat - BBC News

The NYT also looked saw the link to the Old Man and the Sea.

Listening to the fisherman tell the story, it seems as if he is a very resilient type and seemed to take the whole thing in stride.

Some people seem to be rather unphased by risks that would deter most of us.

***Hemingway's great "The Old Man and the Sea" was the first thing to come to my mind when reading the fisherman/shark story. And you're right, the theme of resiliency and calm while dealing with unpredictable fate is what both fishermen have in common. As you most likely know, this was a common theme in Hemingway's writing, one that he was often criticized about in that he was accused of glorifying the "macho" nature of his male characters. In any case, Hemingway explored an important area of human nature that resides in us all--- how each one of us copes with unpredictable, dangerous, and fear inducing events.

"Some people seem to be rather unfazed by risks that would deter most of us." Definitely. It seems to me that most of us reside somewhere on a scale from calm to total panic when dealing with risky situations, and the same person can sometimes move up or down the scale depending on the specific event. Yet some people seem to have been born with a constitution that is consistently resilient in the face of adversity. After the Korean war, someone came up with the phrase "give up itis" to describe the behavior of American prisoners of war who just gave up and died while facing horrible conditions in contrast to others living under the same conditions who endured and survived. Those who gave up and died had no apparent physiological cause of death. They just gave up. Even if "give up itis" is a myth, as has been argued, it at least points to the query as to why certain people fare better than others in the same adverse conditions.

The article about the Bering sea diver ( an example of a resilient person ) makes me wonder if he is related to the great Nanook, who was the star of the great documentary "Nanook of the North". The maker of the film, who lived with the Inuits, thought they were the happiest and most resilient people he had ever met.