Advertising video fraud

(Please note that this is posted in the "General" category, not Telecom>CellNuvo-- I have no reason to suspect a connection. It just caught my attention because a lot of us are tuned in to advertising video......)

It seems some advertiser middle-men are pulling a fast one. Some advertising banner ads on ad-supported apps have been used as a method to hide invisible video ads. The middle-man still gets paid for the invisible ad "views", but everyone else in the chain gets cheated: the advertiser gets no results for their advertising dollars: the app or website hosting the banner ads gets paid a fraction of what they would get paid for hosting non-hidden video ads: the unsuspecting end-user suffers excessive data usage & battery drain.

The ingenuity of bad actors on the internet making money by hoodwinking us is depressing, for these talents could be used for good purpose. I remember reading something about how these ad clicking schemes only reap a few pennies per click, but add up to large amounts after millions of clicks. Amazing how the oldest escape trick in the book--"it wasn't me who did it, but an unknown someone else who did it"--- is still alive and well. At least we know why our data sometimes disappears and our batteries go dead.

Isamorph writes: " Amazing how the oldest escape trick in the book--"it wasn't me who did it, but an unknown someone else who did it"--- is still alive and well. "

I've seen this "escape trick" immortalized in a couple of literary ventures:

Walter Mosely wrote a crime novel entitled "The Two Dude Defense", which referred to a legal ploy boiling down to "& then these 2 dudes stormed into the room, killed the victim & ran away, leaving me holding the bag". Although I read the book, I really don't remember it that well, but I'll always remember the title.

The second was a character in a novel series by Ross Thomas, named 'OtherGuy' Overby, who specialized in barely plausible deniability using the method for dirty tricks.