Swap query...what happens if you made a mistake...??

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #11 by KentE
The cautious side of me: if the K8 was the only device you had that qualified for the swap, you'd think it was worth doing. (As you did.) If you have concerns about getting disqualified, move forward with your original plan.

If you're comfortable pushing boundaries, I've seen a number of reports that Visible will accept a different, but still qualifying, IMEI. I've also seen some reports that they accepted technically non-qualifying phones, and some reports of rejections for same. Personally, my risk acceptance is somewhat lower on the scale. (And my tendency is to honor the terms of the deal even if there's a way to potentially break the terms and end up with a better deal.)

Is the K8 still capable of being activated anywhere? (VoLTE capable, unlocked if necessary-- I believe there were a number of variants locked to different providers, and hobbled by band restrictions.) Or is it's value to you as a mini=tablet/smart appliance? (I understand this concept, and have several never-again-to-be-a-phone devices.) Maybe it's easier to replace the K8 if needed, and not risk the swap deal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #12 by bingyee
Bottom line up front: If the Mach has an IMEI and the Visible checker says that it is not compatible as a BYOD, you can swap it.

The original concern that was expressed is that the Mach is not "unlocked." I wouldn't worry about that because the way that most people here and the general population regard the term "unlocked" as applied to cell phones is actually not the definition applied by Visible. When Visible says that you can only send in an "unlocked" swap phone, what they really mean is that the swap phone doesn't have an existing balance with your current carrier (i.e. there are no more outstanding payments on an installment payment plan). If your phone is fully paid off, you are good to go. Visible doesn't care that you have an Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile branded phone that isn't cross-compatible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #13 by KentE
I think the other thing Visible means by 'unlocked' is that there isn't any screen lock. At least by the swap program design, they expect to be able to confirm the IMEI qualifies. On most phones with non-removable backs (and no external label), they can't confirm the IMEI if they can't get past a lock screen.

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #14 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Such a quirky bit of subject matter with all sorts of variables & possible nuances !!
Word meanings, possible variations in procedures, day of the week, phase of the moon, how short of employees they may be, etc., etc., etc. .

So=>
I did the activation & finished the port out of Twigby for that number, and when I saw the payment info I was reminded of the VCC idea - so now PP is removed & a C1 VCC is in place.

As to the K8 vs. Mach for swapping, most likely I'll risk sending in the Mach now as they are known to threaten via email if the swap doesn't go right, and frankly I can shut down the VCC in about a minute should things go awry.

Since the Mach has zero value to me anymore, if they demand the K8 later somehow - I can always send that in & just consider it a lesson learned.

Frankly I'm not impressed with the Android version on the Moto G Pure AT ALL !!
It makes you go around in circles for too many things IMO.
(And I am not a fan of USB C either.)

Anyhow - now my challenge changes to getting all the stuff migrated from the trusty old Kyocera with V4.12 over to this fancy new phone...!

Phew.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago - 2 weeks 5 days ago #15 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
An added bit of info to share here:
I remembered having a Cricket SIM, dug it out & tried it in the Moto G - it was not rejected.

Tried the same SIM in my desk accessory that is an AT&T prepaid phone & it went right to demanding an unlock code.

I conclude that the Moto G Pure definitely came unlocked, a great benefit IMO.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #16 by KentE
The big mistake would be waiting a day too long, and having the Moto go out of stock.... (grimace, shrug....)

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #17 by redrotors

The big mistake would be waiting a day too long, and having the Moto go out of stock.... (grimace, shrug....)

I don't think it was OOS for very long. In stock now and a SD'er posted back in stock earlier today. It was marked as a dead deal on SD but now back as active so I suppose stock may go in and out as the locust swarms "feed".
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #18 by KentE
Thanks for that quick update, redrotors! I got my order placed.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #19 by mmfacemm
it went oos again very quickly!

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #20 by bingyee
I'm actually surprised it took this long for the Moto G Pure to go OOS. I got two of these early on. I was in position to grab a 3rd one yesterday but was too busy - no time to do a long chat with RedPocket to get port-out info.