Heavily Deprioritized

More
3 months 1 week ago #11 by Ace Of Vegas
Replied by Ace Of Vegas on topic Heavily Deprioritized

Chelle wrote: Visible might be inexpensive but Verizon appears to be devoting very little bandwidth to it.

I live in a small town where cell towers are never congested. I get good signal on all 4 networks (although AT&T isn't as strong as the others).

My T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint phones all get 15-20 Mbps, which is more than sufficient.

My Visible line gets 0.7 Mbps, during the day, and 2.0 Mbps from midnight to 6am, despite having 4 to 5 bars of signal.

If I had a consistent 1.5 Mbps I'd be perfectly content, but 0.7 is ridiculous.

Visible has "reset my data profile" blah blah blah and all the other behind the scenes things they can do but it's made no difference.

Visible is heavily deprioritized and that's exactly where Verizon wants it to be.

It's fine for surfing the web, YouTube videos, and watching Netflix, Prime or Sling, but most other video services won't run on that little bandwidth.

Forget about Hulu, Motortrend, Pluto, and other bandwidth-hungry streaming services.

I have a similar experience with Visible. The fastest speed I ever recorded was 3 Mbps but I'm usually below 1Mbps. When I hotspot to my laptop even browsing is slow. Probably going to let Visible expire at the end of the 30 days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chelle
  • Chelle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #12 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Heavily Deprioritized

Ace Of Vegas wrote:

Chelle wrote: Visible might be inexpensive but Verizon appears to be devoting very little bandwidth to it.

I live in a small town where cell towers are never congested. I get good signal on all 4 networks (although AT&T isn't as strong as the others).

My T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint phones all get 15-20 Mbps, which is more than sufficient.

My Visible line gets 0.7 Mbps, during the day, and 2.0 Mbps from midnight to 6am, despite having 4 to 5 bars of signal.

If I had a consistent 1.5 Mbps I'd be perfectly content, but 0.7 is ridiculous.

Visible has "reset my data profile" blah blah blah and all the other behind the scenes things they can do but it's made no difference.

Visible is heavily deprioritized and that's exactly where Verizon wants it to be.

It's fine for surfing the web, YouTube videos, and watching Netflix, Prime or Sling, but most other video services won't run on that little bandwidth.

Forget about Hulu, Motortrend, Pluto, and other bandwidth-hungry streaming services.

I have a similar experience with Visible. The fastest speed I ever recorded was 3 Mbps but I'm usually below 1Mbps. When I hotspot to my laptop even browsing is slow. Probably going to let Visible expire at the end of the 30 days.

My experience has greatly improved since I wrote this.

I'm seeing increased bandwidth and lower latency (83ms instead of 130ms).

It's definitely not as good as Verizon postpaid but it's not bad and probably good enough for most people-- including me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ace Of Vegas

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 4 days ago #13 by PEW

More
1 week 4 days ago #14 by bingyee
Replied by bingyee on topic Heavily Deprioritized
I just figured out a way to consistently get really fast speeds on Visible, although it's applicability is very limited. I plugged in a Visible SIM into the A1723 Sprint unlocked version of the first generation iPhone SE. Unlike the A1662 version (and other iphones since the iPhone 6), the A1723 does not have LTE band 13. So it has to default to band 4. My band 4 coverage must be really good where I live (about 8 blocks from where all the mayhem happened 2 days ago!), so maybe this isn't a great solution for travel. However, my A1723 is a really good hotspot for where I live.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

• Chelle
  • Chelle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 3 days ago #15 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Heavily Deprioritized
My ZTE A7 Prime lets me select and deselect any LTE bands I want.

When one band gets troublesome I just take it out of the mix.