"Visible"comes into Focus

• bingyee
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
4 weeks 4 hours ago #121 by bingyee
Replied by bingyee on topic "Visible"comes into Focus
I think the 5 mbps speed restriction applies only to mobile hotspot but not to USB tethering. I'm consistently getting around 15 mbps when directly tethered to my wife's desktop. Can others confirm they're experiencing the same speeds with direct USB tethering?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mmfacemm
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #122 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic "Visible"comes into Focus
Doesn't matter how you tether it has the same restrictions.  But speeds are not always 5Mbps and varies with device used and other random reasons. On some devices I get 10Mbps.

• bingyee
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 week 4 days ago #123 by bingyee
The current version of the Visible app that can be downloaded from the iTunes store now requires IOS 13. You can still download an older version of the Visible app on IOS 12, but that version is useless, because after you open it, it says that an update to the app is required. That means that you can't do initial activation using an iPhone 6/6+ (which can only take IOS 12) or any later model iPhone that's still running IOS 12.

However, you can do initial activation on an iPhone running IOS 13 or above and then swap the SIM. E.g. I activated my latest line on an iPhone 8 running the latest IOS and then swapped the SIM into a 1st gen SE running 12.1.2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chosen

• Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 week 4 days ago #124 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Replied by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist on topic "Visible"comes into Focus
Just FYI, FWIW:
A close friend of mine heard of the Moto deal from me - got it - and from the 1st minute it never worked fully.

He wasted loads of time contacting them over & over - got only so far as their (supposedly ??) higher level support saying he got a defective SIM & sending him a new SIM.

After replacement the phone still would not work fully.
He was totally disgusted with his new phone & ported his number back to TF using what he had before.

My impression is that it was most likely a defective phone which they really did not wish to replace on their dime.

I claim no other ideas as to the how & why of this except that it saddened me to hear.

Our Visible stuff worked out OK & we only went back to Twigby after a while so as to pay ~$24/month for BOTH our lines rather than $25 for each line.

• bingyee
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 week 7 hours ago - 1 week 7 hours ago #125 by bingyee
I just chatted with Visible about transferring service from a physical SIM to eSIM. They told me there was no impediment and that it could be done very quickly. Does anyone here have experience with this? Does the board have any general thoughts on Visible eSIM?

Background: My plan is to transfer a currently inactive/suspended line that has been credited 6 self-referrals to my new 2nd gen iPhone SE on its eSIM. Visible service would be $5/month for those 6 months. The physical SIM would be the Tello 100 min/500gb plan, $4.50/month for 6 months under their current promotion. The 100 minutes would be reserved for outgoing calls to friends/relatives and the data is useful for backup if I find myself in a bad Verizon reception area and/or I'm severely throttled when I need data. I can program the Tello line to forward all calls to the Visible eSIM line, so I don't use up any of the 100 min Tello allotment for incoming calls. The Visible eSIM will also be the primary line for data as well as outgoing calls to non-familiar entities. Text would be mostly Tello, since that's unlimited.

I also maintain flexibility to swap the Tello SIM into other phones with this arrangement. 

• mmfacemm
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 days 19 hours ago #126 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic "Visible"comes into Focus
Didn't think it was possible. It didn't used to be but things change. I've been happy when a customer support guy swapped an esim from one device to the another for me so if they say it can be done then yes go for it if you want. Should work well if it goes smoothly. Been using visible esim on my se 2020.

Does forwarding not use up minutes?