Ting for international unlock - cheapest way to do it? referral?

More
1 year 10 months ago #5248 by mmfacemm
I have a couple of phones I'd like to unlock for international use and I believe only ting do it for sprint mvnos. Do correct me if there is another to consider!
So assuming I have to temporarily sign up for ting - is there a way to get the first month free? How does the referral credit work - will I receive it to use for the first month? Or am I looking at spending $6+ tax min to do this.

$6 isn't so bad since i have a few to unlock.

Can't believe I want to do this...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5252 by Zubrin
Which countries are you going? Most foreign countries are using GSM, not CDMA.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5253 by mmfacemm
Yes I want to unlock the gsm side.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5254 by Zubrin
Get FreedopPop Global SIM, works great in EU.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5255 by mmfacemm
I have to unlock the phone first.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5256 by Zubrin
mmfacemm: help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205422098-CDMA-SIM-Unlock-

arrynrob wrote: What make/model devices? Are these devices eligible to be activated on Sprint postpaid?

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #5258 by mmfacemm

arrynrob wrote:

Zubrin wrote: mmfacemm: help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205422098-CDMA-SIM-Unlock-

arrynrob wrote: What make/model devices? Are these devices eligible to be activated on Sprint postpaid?

My questions were intended to assess whether it might be possible to have Sprint directly unlock the devices for international use (and perhaps even domestic use) rather than through Ting as middleman. If these devices are Boost/Virgin, for example, this would not be possible since these devices are not eligible for activation on Sprint postpaid. Sprint policy is that international unlocking is available only to Sprint postpaid customers. However, I have read success stories of non-customers having certain devices unlocked by Sprint.

I am looking to unlock an lg g6 and a htc desire 510. Both are sprint and not boost/virgin.

I've had zero luck in the past getting anything from sprint without an account. Seems like the only option is Ting as a middleman or to pay up for a full unlock (not sure if there is even anyone doing the lg g6 yet). Funny that only ringplus and ting did international unlocks. Is there really no other sprint mvno that can help?

NB I don't have a ting line at the moment- just wondering the cheapest way to get this done.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5262 by mmfacemm

arrynrob wrote: Here is the number for Sprint's international roaming department: 888-226-7212

You may be prompted to enter a Sprint phone#, but you can ignore this. Once you hear the menu options, select option 2 for device unlocking requests. See what happens if you claim to be a former Sprint customer. You can try giving them one of your R+ numbers as your former Sprint number, if asked. Good luck.

Might as well give it a go. Thanks for the details.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #5263 by Oldbooks1
If you are not in a hurry another option would be to file a dispute with Sprint . If the phones are eligible for international unlock, Sprint may consent rather than have it go to arbitration. The address to send the Notice of Dispute is in the TOS on Sprint's website.

More
1 year 10 months ago #5265 by joseph
You can easily get a referral to Ting (Google it) that'll give you a $25 starting credit. Make sure to signup to Ting using the referral with an email address that didn't previously have a Ting account associated with it.

That'll more than cover the $6 line charge.