Bring a broken phone to Ting, let us pay for it

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #36072 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
It always astounds me to see how quickly & easily bad corporate behaviours are excused, denied & forgotten.

We were not the only customers who were severely disappointed after falling for the sign-on bonuses & such.
The promised amounts appeared in our accounts, lingered for a while, then were silently removed.
There was a bit of an uproar in the forum(s) around that time as others had been equally disappointed.

Using the support/chat function brought solid proof that the company knowingly allowed, then removed the sign-on bonuses - and yes, someplace in my email archives I do have the transcripts of said chats.
Will I dig those up & share them ??
Not worth the bother IMO - lesson learned - no chance of a recurrence here - and others seem to have forgotten their disappointments already - so it would not be of any help to anyone anyhow.

Ultimately:
We ended up paying for a short time for services that should have been 100% covered for a longer time - only long enough to port our numbers to a better provider (with no mandatory per-line fees) and have been much more content with that ever since. (2-3 years ??)

I suspect that many of the similarly disappointed rp refugees were never heard from because they simply decided to get away from using any/all MVNOs permanently to avoid any more similarly nasty shocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark, johnsmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #36080 by johnsmith

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: It always astounds me to see how quickly & easily bad corporate behaviours are excused, denied & forgotten.

We were not the only customers who were severely disappointed after falling for the sign-on bonuses & such.
The promised amounts appeared in our accounts, lingered for a while, then were silently removed.
There was a bit of an uproar in the forum(s) around that time as others had been equally disappointed.

Using the support/chat function brought solid proof that the company knowingly allowed, then removed the sign-on bonuses - and yes, someplace in my email archives I do have the transcripts of said chats.
Will I dig those up & share them ??
Not worth the bother IMO - lesson learned - no chance of a recurrence here - and others seem to have forgotten their disappointments already - so it would not be of any help to anyone anyhow.

Ultimately:
We ended up paying for a short time for services that should have been 100% covered for a longer time - only long enough to port our numbers to a better provider (with no mandatory per-line fees) and have been much more content with that ever since. (2-3 years ??)

I suspect that many of the similarly disappointed rp refugees were never heard from because they simply decided to get away from using any/all MVNOs permanently to avoid any more similarly nasty shocks.

Sincere thanks for saying what I was thinking.
I hope LiterallyUnlimited does not take it personally as he is a really GOOD Guy.
I was pretty vocal in the RingPlus refugee days as to warn about Ting's habit of arbitrarily voiding or not honoring credits. I pretty much got abused for warning people then got (almost) no pleasure in saying "I Told You so" when my warnings came to pass. I was speaking from experience as I got quite a lot of people to sign up years ago then had egg on my face when they got ripped off by Ting. I understand their business model with the monthly fees and the "buckets" but currently that model is simply not competitive at any usage level and frankly even if all their staff is as awesome as LiterallyUnlimited is - how often do you really need customer support?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #36085 by LiterallyUnlimited
I want to be 100% absolutely crystal clear here.

The R+ balance matching we did was as a service to R+ customers. We did not get any money from R+ for doing it, so it was more a gesture of goodwill. Karl left with your top-ups, as best I can tell.

Our terms of service pretty explicitly did and do say:
The spirit of the program is one-to-one referral. Buying Ting-branded keywords, spamming coupon sites, employing SEO tactics, selling a referral URL and so on are smart ideas but are not consistent with the spirit of the program. These things and others like them will be considered abuse. For this reason we reserve the right to cancel a referral code or codes at any time. We also reserve the right to rescind credits that were previously issued if we determine that the program has been abused.

The only credits that were ever rescinded were based on our human (no robots) security team determining someone trying to game our system with multiple accounts or stacking credits they would not otherwise be eligible for. We didn't rescind credits for anyone trying to play by the rules. Voiding was not arbitrary by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm living proof of this. I had $35 in R+ top-up credit and was not a Ting customer or employee at the time of the switch. I took the terms of the deal offered to me, knew pretty well I was only getting those credits based on the timeline laid out and went about my way.

But I guess we could argue back and forth about this all day. I understand those of you for whom this will forever tarnish the Ting name. That's okay! That's why we love our competition. I'd rather not re-legislate the ins and outs of saving R+ phone numbers.

mmfacemm wrote: Ting have come up with some interesting promos over the years but this one is very odd. Are people really taking advantage of this? Seems unlikely to me.

They are. It's not designed to be a rush in of new customers. It's designed to trigger the memories of former Ting customers with a broken iPhone in the drawer who need a phone for their 9-year-old. Or their mom who has a bad charging port on her Samsung and is overpaying AT&T. Not that I speak from experience, anyway.

mmfacemm wrote: I've been following Ting since the early days and I have come close to signing up a few times but haven't done so yet. One of these days you'll get me with one of your promos. Keep trying lol.

I view this as a personal challenge. We've just gotten approval to take pre-orders for another promo. If you're interested, let me know. It should go wide the first week of April.

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote:

Oh, I hope not. We set out only to save their numbers and give them an option to jump on to the Ting model, or port literally anywhere else without losing the phone number. We view a customer losing the phone number as almost worse than losing their carrier as an option.

johnsmith wrote: how often do you really need customer support?

When your carrier is going under? Seems pretty important. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle, Chosen

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #36087 by KentE
Just a personal observation: I'm currently a Ting customer, most likely not for the long haul-- and I've been a Ting customer several relatively short periods in the past, beyond the Ring-to-Ting transition period. (And I help a family that has been with Ting since R+ failed.)

Even as a relatively savvy MVNO user, I've used Ting's customer service when I've had Ting accounts, and was glad it was available. More than that, the access to Ting's freely available knowledge base has helped make me a savvy MVNO user, even when I've not been a TING customer. I think it's valid to say that MVNO users in general benefit from Ting's Customer Service, even if most have never been a TING customer. (Seriously-- how many times have forums recommended using TING's MEID/MEI validation tool, their Sprint ICCID database, linked to a knowledge-base article, etc.?)

Bottom line, I'm glad that Ting has managed to build a stable customer base that makes that type of information sharing available to all of us, customers or not. It seems that TING must be doing a good job of attracting (and aiming promos at) users that are comfortable with their pricing structure. Steady sustainable growth, and attracting stable long-term customers, may be a better business model than doing whatever it takes to attract price-conscious customers & dealing with the higher churn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, LiterallyUnlimited

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #36088 by realLexusl21
Although I thank them for saving my number. I found their pricing structure too high for my usage so I left.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #36089 by rawlek
Never had a problem with Ting. They provided the service and credits under the conditions they set forth. Seems the ones that express an issue were the ones not able to get away with abusing their terms.

That word seems to be a hot topic lately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LiterallyUnlimited

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #36090 by st3fx
Nth circlers are passionate about bargain hunting, stacking bonuses, etc. We are not representative of the general population.

I put several family/friends on the Sprint free year promo more than 1 year ago and most remain with Sprint paying $60/month. None of them can be bothered to do roundtrip porting to get another free year. They prefer to "set it and forget it." I'm sure based on actual usage, some of them could save money and would be good candidates for Ting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Zubrin, LiterallyUnlimited

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #36092 by PEW
I had straight forward, problem-free, experience with Ting. Service is quick, timely, and accurate. I used Ting GSM as a hideout between my Sprint 1 year free signups. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, LiterallyUnlimited

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #36093 by johnsmith

rawlek wrote: Never had a problem with Ting. They provided the service and credits under the conditions they set forth. Seems the ones that express an issue were the ones not able to get away with abusing their terms.
That word seems to be a hot topic lately.

Good for you, I for one have never "abused" anyone.
I was explaining MY experience and those of friends and family that experienced the same.
It is very presumptuous and dismissive to assume no one on the planet can have a differing opinion or experience or motivation than your own.
Also just for the record I was commenting about an experience that predated the R+ refugee situation by years as was explicitly stated in my post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #36095 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Therein lies the rub:

rawlek wrote: ....They provided the service and credits under the conditions they set forth. Seems the ones that express an issue were the ones not able to get away with abusing their terms.

And the words 'broken phone' bring 'broken promises' directly to mind !!
For us, they credited the promised sign-on bonuses - then soon thereafter those were subtracted silently, with neither notice nor complaint by the company & only seen by me because I was nervous about this changeover & checked the account every few days.

Abused their terms ??
Too funny.
Given that we had gigantic allotments with rp, and actually use maybe 200 minutes/month, 20-30 SMS & ZERO data - if that small usage qualifies as abuse I'd be very surprised.

Sure, we 'saved' our numbers from rp via Ting & that was a help to us - until things were exposed as NOT being kosher with Ting - then it was time to try and get answers (which failed) - so we bailed out ASAP.

Since then we've had truly flawless services with their direct competitor - at lower costs - with all promises kept - and clear answers on the unusual occasion that we needed to up the service level for a short time.

If/when ANY company makes an offer - and I accept that & sign on - only to find soon thereafter that they 'changed their mind' & withdrew the benefits I signed on to get...
That company goes on my BAD list - forever - and will not be trusted again - period.

This is why I bothered to post here at all - Ting is forever on my BAD list - and this is why.

If others find such behaviours acceptable and/or tolerable - good for them; and for those lucky ones who didn't have their benefits yanked for no apparent reason, fantastic - congrats.

These discussion boards are the best (only ??) places where folks can either express their loyalties or antipathies due to their experiences - for others to see in case that may be helpful for said others.

In this situation there are clearly folks who have been very happy with this company, and others who have not been happy - it is for the individual to decide what their own loyalties & trusts shall be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnsmith