Sprint SIM in Boost phone on TextNow?

More
1 year 5 months ago #1 by peterquinn
Will a Sprint SIM work in my Boost Moto E-2nd gen phone? For use on TextNow's free plan that gives unlimited cellular talk and text.

And if it is likely to work, will I have to do something to "marry" the Sprint SIM to my phone?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #2 by KentE

Will a Sprint SIM work in my Boost Moto E-2nd gen phone? For use on TextNow's free plan that gives unlimited cellular talk and text.

And if it is likely to work, will I have to do something to "marry" the Sprint SIM to my phone?

Thank you!

If it's the SIM that originally came in the Moto E2, yes, it will work. You don't have to do anything other than enter the numbers when enrolling the phone.

If you don't have the original SIM, it will be a little painful to get one for that phone. I thought I needed a replacement in mine, and none of the usual sources had one.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #3 by peterquinn
The phone has its original Boost SIM in it. TextNow tells me "Unfortunately this phone is not compatible with our network" when I try to "Activate SIM Card" in the TextNow app.

Another weird thing is that the pull-down from the top of screen shows "Sprint" as the network. Previously, it always showed as "Chameleon".

I tried updating PRL and updating profile. Both fail with "ErrorCode is COMMS_SOCKET_ERROR" error message. Tried to "reset cellular data", that fails too.

That's why I thought maybe I need a new SIM. Any ideas on what's going on? Thank you!

Edited to add - in the past, this same phone never worked properly on TextNow. Didn't ring on incoming calls, Chameleon kept giving error messages, etc. That's another reason I thought maybe a new SIM was needed.

More
1 year 5 months ago #4 by KentE
peterquinn, thanks for reminding us of your earlier problems with that phone & TextNow.

I don't think you can update PRL and Profile unless the phone is active on the network, so some kind of failure is anticipated there. Resetting cellular data also won't work until the phone is active on the network. (Attempting it might wipe previous settings, but there are no new settings to replace them.)

Have you checked the IMEID on Tello's BYOD test page?
Since you previously used the phone on TextNow, did you deactivate it? (Or replace it with a different phone?)

More
1 year 5 months ago #5 by Soteria 2.0
And now, use TextNow free without WiFi over the Nationwide SprintĀ® Network*
Stay Connected Everywhere
Buy a SIM Activation Kit and get a TextNow enabled SIM card that gives you Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text - for FREE!

*Sprint provides wireless service as the underlying network carrier only. TextNow is responsible to the TextNow subscribers for the service. Please call TextNow with any questions

*Sprint is a trademark of Sprint.
Buy an Activation Kit
one-time purchase of just $9.99
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW

More
1 year 5 months ago #6 by johnsmith

The phone has its original Boost SIM in it. TextNow tells me "Unfortunately this phone is not compatible with our network" when I try to "Activate SIM Card" in the TextNow app.

Another weird thing is that the pull-down from the top of screen shows "Sprint" as the network. Previously, it always showed as "Chameleon".

I tried updating PRL and updating profile. Both fail with "ErrorCode is COMMS_SOCKET_ERROR" error message. Tried to "reset cellular data", that fails too.

That's why I thought maybe I need a new SIM. Any ideas on what's going on? Thank you!

Edited to add - in the past, this same phone never worked properly on TextNow. Didn't ring on incoming calls, Chameleon kept giving error messages, etc. That's another reason I thought maybe a new SIM was needed.

Did you try connecting to WiFi, then updating Profile? I have this phone previously on TextNow and that is how I got it provisioned. After Profile updates, it will update PRL automatically with a reboot or two thrown in for fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
1 year 5 months ago #7 by KentE

Did you try connecting to WiFi, then updating Profile? I have this phone previously on TextNow and that is how I got it provisioned. After Profile updates, it will update PRL automatically with a reboot or two thrown in for fun.

Those Moto E2's can definitely be a little persnickety about provisioning! I don't think this applies to peterquinn's situation, though, since the app tells him his device isn't compatible. (He can't get far enough to worry about provisioning......)

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #8 by mmfacemm
Sometimes textnow throws up that message when the phone is already provisioned elsewhere. Make sure it has dropped off wherever you left eg you can check the tello byod and make sure it says clear for activation.

If you recently left somewhere sometimes it takes a few days to clear off. Try again in a couple of days.

More
1 year 5 months ago #9 by peterquinn
The problem persists, unfortunately. As an update --
- Tello's checker tells me that the phone is good to join Tello.
- Multiple reboots of the phone - no improvement.
- multiple uninstall-install-update TextNow app - no improvement.
- profile and PRL updates, multiple again :-( -- no improvement.

And now, everytime I reboot the phone, it starts with an endless "Activating -- Please wait until complete -- Retrying (1/5).. (2/5).." screen. It tells me it's waiting to update profile, then goes into Device Self Service, and ends up with a black screen.

My wifi is on the entire time, and data is on too.

I have no idea what is going on! Very perplexing!

More
1 year 5 months ago #10 by peterquinn

Since you previously used the phone on TextNow, did you deactivate it? (Or replace it with a different phone?)

Here's what I have used the phone for -

- Used it on TextNow with their free cellular voice plan, where my experience was very unsatisfactory. Incoming calls wouldn't ring, Chameleon kept telling me to log in to the network, etc.

- So in frustration, I canceled the TextNow free plan. Also deleted the TextNow app.

- But free is free, so tried going back to TextNow and ran into problems getting their free plan. Tried for some time, then gave up on TextNow.

- Tried to sign up for Vennn with this Boost-MotoE2, even though it didn't pass the Venn BYOD checker. Venn let me go forward with the sign-up even though it didn't pass the check, and charged my credit card. Venn wasn't able to activate the phone so they refunded my credit card after I called them to check on the activation status.

- Now back to trying to use this phone with TextNow.