TextNow Free Service

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #43499 by jamielih
Replied by jamielih on topic TextNow Free Service

peterquinn wrote: I believe TextNow's usage requirement is at least one outgoing text every 30 days.

ETA - that's what it used to be, before their new free cellular plan. Not sure what it is now.

According to this page, supportfree.textnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/204253309-Help-My-Phone-Number-was-recycled-how-can-I-get-it-back- , you can text or call to prevent expiration. So the plain language means that receiving only frequent texts from Subway may still lead to expiration.

The inactive period for expiration is variable - according to that page:

There's no hard-and-fast rule as to how long a number can stay inactive before it's revoked. There are a number of factors that go into it, and each customer is weighted differently based on usage patterns. We send you a warning message before the number is revoked to give you a chance to keep it active.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #43500 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic TextNow Free Service
I recieved an email about 10 days after activation saying my number was going to expire shortly. Received a second warning today a couple of days later. I haven't been using since I tried it out on day 1. So definitely not 30 days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #43504 by Hungry-Hog
Replied by Hungry-Hog on topic TextNow Free Service
If your number expires and you want to reactivate your account with a new number, will you be required to pay that $9.99?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #43507 by echance20
Replied by echance20 on topic TextNow Free Service
No

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #43845 by ZZWang
Replied by ZZWang on topic TextNow Free Service
Regarding GV, I tried to link the Textnow number (and the phone) with GV. It is actually working.
So when there is no wifi, incoming call to GV will be forwarded to Textnow.
Outgoing call from GV will be transferred to Textnow app dialer, and the number will be textnow number.
(I am not sure is there a way to make the outgoing number also GV?)

peterquinn wrote: Thanks for solving the "not allowed to text" mystery, KentE and mmfacemm!

Any thoughts on Chameleon's "please sign in" message that keeps popping up?

Yes, hangouts and GV texting work, but I wanted to text using my new TextNow number (while hangouts and GV use my GV number). Is there a way to get GV/hangouts to use the TextNow number? (kinda like you can use GV to call using your cell number)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago - 6 months 4 weeks ago #43847 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic TextNow Free Service

ZZWang wrote: Regarding GV, I tried to link the Textnow number (and the phone) with GV. It is actually working.
So when there is no wifi, incoming call to GV will be forwarded to Textnow.
Outgoing call from GV will be transferred to Textnow app dialer, and the number will be textnow number.
(I am not sure is there a way to make the outgoing number also GV?)

peterquinn wrote: Thanks for solving the "not allowed to text" mystery, KentE and mmfacemm!

Any thoughts on Chameleon's "please sign in" message that keeps popping up?

Yes, hangouts and GV texting work, but I wanted to text using my new TextNow number (while hangouts and GV use my GV number). Is there a way to get GV/hangouts to use the TextNow number? (kinda like you can use GV to call using your cell number)


GV# on outgoing calls: You've probably already checked your settings in GV on your phone to make sure that under the "CALLS" section you chose "use carrier only" at "making and receiving calls", chose "Use your Google voice number" at "Calls started from this device's phone app", and also made sure "Hide you caller ID on outgoing calls" is toggled off at "Anonymous caller ID". If so, disregard. But maybe "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" being chosen might work better for outgoing calls given that there is data at work somewhere within TextNow calling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZZWang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #43848 by bingyee
Replied by bingyee on topic TextNow Free Service
How easy is it to port out a number from TextNow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 4 weeks ago #43857 by ZZWang
Replied by ZZWang on topic TextNow Free Service
Thanks. I tried and it doesn’t work for my phone. As long as the call is initiated from the phone app, it will be routed to Textnow app.
always get the texnow number calling out.

I also often get the sign into network boost mobile prompt. I found if I ignore it, it is working fine. So I am on the sprint network, but the system would like to sign into boost network. (my phone is moto e2 from boost mobile)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #43866 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic TextNow Free Service

ZZWang wrote: Thanks. I tried and it doesn’t work for my phone. As long as the call is initiated from the phone app, it will be routed to Textnow app.
always get the texnow number calling out.


From what I have learned on this forum, Textnow's free-cellular plan will only allow the Textnow app to handle calls and texts.

ZZWang wrote: I also often get the sign into network boost mobile prompt. I found if I ignore it, it is working fine. So I am on the sprint network, but the system would like to sign into boost network. (my phone is moto e2 from boost mobile)


That is exactly what was happening to me too -- on my Moto E2 which is a Boost phone that was never used on Boost, but on RingPlus. (My phone wanted me to sign in to Chameleon network).

Incoming texts worked for me, but incoming calls didn't ring when I was on free-cellular-Textnow (ie when there was no wifi). Wasn't able to solve this problem, unfortunately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZZWang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #43885 by ZZWang
Replied by ZZWang on topic TextNow Free Service
Incoming call works for me. I am also forwarding GV calls to textnow.

E2 is not as easy as LG phones. I tried 3-4 times profile update during activation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.