TextNow Free Service

More
5 months 1 week ago #43156 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic TextNow Free Service

drysun wrote: The app seems to be VOIP and does work on cellular connection only.

As long as mobile data is enabled.

It won't work on just a cellular voice connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #43157 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic TextNow Free Service

Chelle wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: Okay so I uninstalled the textnow app and enabled sprint callingplus on my phone for lte calling and I was able to make calls out. It came up with the phantom number as the caller id. So it seems the phantom number is set up for 2g data only and textnow piggybacks on top of that or voip calls.

I'm not familiar with that app. So does it use VOIP, cellular voice, or VoLTE?

Not an app - It is baked into my sprint phone as a setting. I thought it was VoLTE but they say it is voip over lte. Probably why it works.

www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #43158 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic TextNow Free Service
Not long ago there were discussions about whether the new Ooma Genie device was cellular or VOIP, particularly since home internet wasn't required to use the device. It seems the distinction between cellular and VOIP is no longer what it used to be since cellular data is being used for voice over internet protocol calls via cellular networks, if that makes sense. Whatever it is called, it's apparently free on TextNow.

www.ooma.com/home-phone-service/phone-genie/

More
5 months 1 week ago #43159 by Chelle
I just tried using Tunnelbear VPN and it wouldn't connect.

More
5 months 1 week ago #43161 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic TextNow Free Service
Google search works but you can't go anywhere from it.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #43162 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic TextNow Free Service
I put an old Moto E 2nd gen on it. Things work like the reports above, but Chameleon wants me to "sign in to the network" every time. I have to tell it to "use the network as is" each time, which is irritating.

I can call out with the native dialer. But can't text with the native texting app ("Messaging" with a green icon).
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih, Chelle

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #43163 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic TextNow Free Service
So I guess the free over Sprint network t&t just means TN is giving users free unlimited 2G data for basically t&t, and "over the Sprint" network just means one is using and dependent on the Sprint network data to call and text over VOIP, which seems similar to what the Ooma Genie device is set up to do, in addition to the 4G LTE data it provides. If not in a Sprint data coverage area, then no calling or texting can be done. So it makes sense now why cell provides and their MVNOs can provide unlimited 2GB data after high-speed data is used up, for it must be very cheap to do and TN is willing to give the data away essentially for free, making it one up on VOIP apps like GV, etc., which rely on users paying for data from a carrier if they want to make VOIP calls when wifi is unavailable. The TN experience is good for t&t, but I'd prefer something like the Tello $5 500mbp+paygo plan that offers both cellular and VOIP calling in addition to having a better internet data experience, albeit at a small price.

More
5 months 1 week ago #43164 by Chelle

peterquinn wrote: I put an old Moto E 2nd gen on it. Things work like the reports above, but Chameleon wants me to "sign in to the network" every time. I have to tell it to "use the network as is" each time, which is irritating.

I can call out with the native dialer. But can't text with the native texting app ("Messaging" with a green icon).

Do another PRL and profile update. It may sort that out.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #43165 by 112059
Replied by 112059 on topic TextNow Free Service

redrotors wrote: Anyone ever port in a # to TN? Free? Paid?
Thinking of keeping a low use Tello #, maybe port to TN instead of waiting for the axe to fall at Tello. Was contemplating porting to GV until this came along, probably a better idea but wondering if TN would now be an option.

It's been over two years ago, but I did port my number in to TN then after a couple months ported out due to the voip or volte delay. Back then there was another number you could use to get true cellular in and out, they told me what mine was when we were diagnosing the delays.

Edited to add info: According to TN virtual assistant you can port numbers in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redrotors

More
5 months 1 week ago #43166 by st3fx
Replied by st3fx on topic TextNow Free Service
I can confirm working on iPhone 5c. As others have stated, VoIP over cellular data. Seems similar to Freedompop zero-rating cellular data used for voice calls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph