TextNow Free Service

More
4 weeks 1 hour ago #43134 by Isamorph
"By now, you’ve heard our big news: We’re now offering our talk & text service nationwide. For free. You read that right. No more paying for basic phone plans. No more asking baristas for the WiFi password. You can use your TextNow number anywhere over Sprint’s Nationwide Network without the dread of receiving your bill at the end of the month."

The Catch? "The truth is, there is no catch. If you’ve used our free app before, then you know that it’s able to remain free supported by the ads served within the app."

How innovative, but maybe things will work out this time.


blog.textnow.com/blog/2020/01/28/faq-free-nationwide-talk-text/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, mmfacemm, Chosen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 36 minutes ago - 4 weeks 32 minutes ago #43135 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic TextNow Free Service
Well might as well put a phone on this. Thanks.

Not sure why you wouldn't still need to ask barristas for wifi passwords though since there is no data included.

I wonder if these numbers will be voip numbers still. Those aren't as useful as proper numbers for verification, 2fa etc.

You don't need to buy an activation kit if you already have a sim. Says you can activate via the app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #43136 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic TextNow Free Service

mmfacemm wrote: Not sure why you wouldn't still need to ask barristas for wifi passwords


I think that's because previously, you needed to be on wifi just to be able to talk/text using the TextNow app.

Since they're saying Sprint sim is needed, my guess is that it will be a Sprint number, not a voip number.

In which case, wow. Thanks Isamorph, I have old phones from RingPlus that I didn't want to activate on Sprint's free year because of the post-paid requirement. Those have found a purpose in their electronic life!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #43137 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Testing...testing...!
I have a TN phone as a sort of desk accessory here, been on wifi only + airplane mode forever.
Call or text with it once in a while & also have it mining Pi 24/7.

Just took it off AP mode & watched - amazingly it found some sort of cellular signal & got a totally bogus number assigned somehow too.

Opened the native dialer & made my usual test call to the NOAA weather number - it switched on its own to the TN app & used wifi for the call.

So, either the cellular was too weak to use, inoperative or whatever - whilst seeming to confirm that it is still using VOIP rather than true cellular, at least here & now.

As with all the time using TN - the ads are quite imposing & constant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #43138 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic TextNow Free Service
I'm thinking maybe TN defaults to wifi calling, rather than cellular, whenever wifi is available. But in your area, Sprint might be a no go for sure. My Sprint compatible phones are currently on services, so maybe someone who has a non-tied up Sprint phone will test and report soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #43139 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic TextNow Free Service
I signed up an old R+ phone. It was quick and easy.

Made a test call over cellular and sounded like cellular voice.

Curiously, some random phone number was signed to the SIM in "About Phone" but the correct number shows up in the app and on the phone of people I call.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, mmfacemm, realLexusl21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #43141 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic TextNow Free Service

Chelle wrote: I signed up an old R+ phone. It was quick and easy.

Made a test call over cellular and sounded like cellular voice.

Curiously, some random phone number was signed to the SIM in "About Phone" but the correct number shows up in the app and on the phone of people I call.


I wonder if they are piggybacking that random sprint cellular number a bit like how google voice does it. Have you tried calling that random number from another phone to see if it rings?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #43142 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic TextNow Free Service
Okay, I kicked the tires a little more.

It's VOIP. It doesn't work if you turn off mobile data.

One neat thing is that 2g data is enabled in order to let the VOIP work. I'm able to use Hangouts for SMS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, jamielih, PEW, realLexusl21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #43143 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic TextNow Free Service

mmfacemm wrote:

Chelle wrote: I signed up an old R+ phone. It was quick and easy.

Made a test call over cellular and sounded like cellular voice.

Curiously, some random phone number was signed to the SIM in "About Phone" but the correct number shows up in the app and on the phone of people I call.


I wonder if they are piggybacking that random sprint cellular number a bit like how google voice does it. Have you tried calling that random number from another phone to see if it rings?


If you call the phantom number it says that it's "Temporarily not in service."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, mmfacemm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #43144 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic TextNow Free Service

Chelle wrote:

mmfacemm wrote:

Chelle wrote: I signed up an old R+ phone. It was quick and easy.

Made a test call over cellular and sounded like cellular voice.

Curiously, some random phone number was signed to the SIM in "About Phone" but the correct number shows up in the app and on the phone of people I call.


I wonder if they are piggybacking that random sprint cellular number a bit like how google voice does it. Have you tried calling that random number from another phone to see if it rings?


If you call the phantom number it says that it's "Temporarily not in service."


Oh well thanks for trying!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.