Tello

More
2 months 1 day ago #47115 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Tello

KentE wrote: Chelle, if BB has it, the LG Classic Flip seems to be getting favorable reviews compared to the MyFlip, from those who have used both. It's still twice as much as the MyFlip ($40 vs $20) and the BB website is out of stock-- but it might be available in-store.

What are people saying is better about the LG than the MyFlip?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 19 hours ago #47130 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello

joseph wrote:

KentE wrote: Chelle, if BB has it, the LG Classic Flip seems to be getting favorable reviews compared to the MyFlip, from those who have used both. It's still twice as much as the MyFlip ($40 vs $20) and the BB website is out of stock-- but it might be available in-store.

What are people saying is better about the LG than the MyFlip?

I skimmed through a thread on Howard Forum pretty quickly, but from memory:
Better battery life

More friendly handling of contacts. (It's running a stripped down Android OS, and offers Contacts features you might expect from that.)

If you close the phone with the settings menu open, the LG Classic Flip closes the menus automatically, so the phone will be back at the home screen when you next use it. The MyFlip will return to the last menu item used when you open the flip next time.

The rather long discussion is here:
www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1919078-New-Tracfone-LG-Classic-Flip-L125DL-Quick-Review
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, joseph

More
1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #47152 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Tello
Just saw on Tello site a 3G phone for sale, which may indicate that Tello doesn't think 3G will be retired all that soon, nor that VoLTE will be required on Tello phones soon. But who knows.

Also, Tello has a double--$20-- referral offer going until July 31st.

tello.com/phones

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47337 by bingyee
Replied by bingyee on topic Tello
They have another promotion: unlimited talk/text + 1gb data for $5/month, for 3 months. It's marketed as a back-to-school special.

I actually signed up my main line in spite of the low data. I needed to get off Sprint Kickstart, which seems no longer to allow hotspot. For my data needs, which will be fairly significant later this month, I'll carry around a second phone on Visible. I'll revisit the arrangement in 3 months.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47339 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Tello
I have not yet gone into unlimited 2G, if I can bear with it, I could just live off the $6/mo plan.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47360 by ferocious-onyx-glossy-iguana-210905

Chelle wrote:

KentE wrote:

Chelle wrote: I have a friend who is high functioning special needs.

His flip phone just broke and he's on an expensive Verizon plan.

1) Does Tello work on flip phones?

2) Where can he get a flip phone and Sprint SIM quickly and for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Chelle, I see that this seller has a variety of listings for Sonim XP3 Sprint flip phones: the description doesn't specifically cover MVNO use, but does indicate the selller will respond to inquiries about compatibility. Might be worth asking, with prices ranging from $33 up depending on cosmetic condition.:
www.ebay.com/itm/Sonim-XP3-Flip-Phone-8GB-ROM-1G-RAM-Black-Sprint-B-Stock/184059704713

Thanks, Kent!

After a lot of comparison shopping he's decided to get a TracFone flip phone at Best Buy, today, and sign up for the $20/month plan that gives unlimited talk and text (and 1GB of data that he'll never use).

I tried to talk him into going through HSN but he was ready to get this done and over with.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

i know this is solved, but for future or if you talk him into it . yes tello works with flips. they have been phasing some out. but ive found many that run 3g work. as for the function. Im speaking from what my grandfather liked. ( & yes i know a senior is not the same as a disabled person ) he enjoyed durability along with big buttons , loud ( & now annoying) ring tones and the abilty to flip the phone open and just start pressing numbers to call. he hated phones with many menu choices, no speaker availability, no font size choice and ones that didnt produce a clock on the front. in the years i was monitoring his service, i found he used the blue on white back ground more than the red, a black background was runner up, and he used size extra extra large font he liked phones from the kyocera military grade dura line, the kona. as well as sanyo pro700. all have the usb connection a hefty hinge and rubberized coating, front size selector and largish sized buttons. most were found on ebay price ranging from $5 -$20 . along with that i always bought a new cheap battery for it. i stayed away from slider phones and any phone smaller than the height of a credit card. it is relativity easy to set up through tello. ( i always performed the byod checker before purchase) you start a new line. or prepare to swap that phone for an existing line. once the order is complete and youve got confirmation. you would provision and profile reset the phone like days of old , no sim needed, and away they go. tello has the instructions in the phones dashboard for you to follow if you cant remember. i always ran a test drive 1st, call out call in text out text in but its pretty much straight forward. plan wise. i had the $10 plan set up for him. no data. unlimited mins and text. hed never use the text but they came anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47364 by dst11
Replied by dst11 on topic Tello

joseph wrote: I've recently activated several DuraXTs on Tello with no problem. Unlimited minutes for $8 plus tax. It auto-configures itself once Tello provisions it. Literally takes minutes once you order service from Tello. I got the Dura's on eBay for $20-something each.

A while ago I thought of swapping my two DuraXTs out of Tello and immediately in Tello again just to generate a new order and reset my 90-day 'new order' countdown. I finally decide against it thinking after I swap out I won't be able to swap in. Now that you activated DuraXTs, and Tello will expire out my lines on 8/14, why not try it? Anyone has a temporary IMEI I can use for a minute?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #47368 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Tello
“Anyone has a temporary IMEI I can use for a minute?”

Sent you one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, dst11

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47369 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello

dst11 wrote:

joseph wrote: I've recently activated several DuraXTs on Tello with no problem. Unlimited minutes for $8 plus tax. It auto-configures itself once Tello provisions it. Literally takes minutes once you order service from Tello. I got the Dura's on eBay for $20-something each.

A while ago I thought of swapping my two DuraXTs out of Tello and immediately in Tello again just to generate a new order and reset my 90-day 'new order' countdown. I finally decide against it thinking after I swap out I won't be able to swap in. Now that you activated DuraXTs, and Tello will expire out my lines on 8/14, why not try it? Anyone has a temporary IMEI I can use for a minute?

If your thought is that the 'order' created by swapping phones on Tello might suffice to extend the 90 day order requirement, please let us know the results.

Personally, I doubt that Tello is going to see it that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47371 by dst11
Replied by dst11 on topic Tello

Isamorph wrote: In case you haven't committed to a phone, I just wanted to mention you can get decent deals on used Kyocera 3 G flip phones on eBay, which should still work on Tello (no sim required) I temporarily swapped in such a phone on Tello a few weeks ago without a problem.

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.XKyocera+E4277.TRS0&_nkw=Kyocera+E4277&_sacat=0

Sonim says the XP3, unlike the ATT XP5, supports LTE . And from looking at it, it doesn't have the small 'enter' button the XP5 has, that causes me to push the navigational buttons too when I press 'enter' on the XP5. I'll keep the XP3 in mind when ATT retires 3G!

KentE wrote: There were at least 2 versions of the Dura flip that had LTE: the XV for Verizon, which likely can't be used anywhere anymore (no VoLTE), and the XE for AT&T. The XE should still be viable on AT&T. I thought I remembered there was a Sprint version with LTE, but I can't locate it.

When I was looking for a rugged ATT phone I saw the XE on eBay, but I think it was pretty expensive, compared to the other Duras and to other rugged ATT phones like the XP5. I just looked for Dura XEs on eBay and I don't find anything. Is it only me (that doesn't see any Dura XEs on eBay)?