Tello

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #45623 by ferocious-onyx-glossy-iguana-210905

KentE wrote:

peterquinn wrote:

KentE wrote: Although I've only had smaller plans-- renewing early has been painless, easy, and quick. No process is perfect, but I don't think I've ever seen a report of issues in this process. (Some folks try to do it every month, renewing a day or 2 early, to keep unused allotments available for the next month, so there should be a large enough sample for problems to show up, if they existed.)

I was under the impression that renewing early let you keep this month’s allotment only until the end of that particular month, not until the end of the next month.

No, it allows you to keep this month's allotment through the end of the 'new' month.
Example: we have a 500mb plan, currently doubled to 1GB. Renewed a couple of days early just before 4/30 (so that I could pay with Tello Dollars), and it now shows 1.76gb until 5/30.

i wonder if this would hold true with an unlimited data only package. unlimited data didnt double because of covid. currently the acct i will need to renew early has 6 gb on it wonder if the counter would show 31 gb for next month or if it will get lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #46190 by jamielih
Replied by jamielih on topic Tello

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

peterquinn wrote: KentE wrote: "No, it allows you to keep this month's allotment through the end of the 'new' month.
Example: we have a 500mb plan, currently doubled to 1GB. Renewed a couple of days early just before 4/30 (so that I could pay with Tello Dollars), and it now shows 1.76gb until 5/30."

Oh wow, thank you, that's good to know! Is there a limit on how long the data rolls over? In other words, if you keep renewing a little early, can you build up a large balance kinda like Tracfone? That would work great as an emergency stash of data!

@peterquinn, I can also verify that your unused data rolls over for the next monthly billing period, even if part of the prior month's allotment was rolled over, too. I just renewed a little bit early again this month, for the second time in a row. Thanks to Tello's generous "double the data" campaign to help with the current COVID-19 situation, coupled with my early renewals, I am starting with 4.91 GB on my plan for this month (which is officially $10/mo for unlimited call/text and 1 GB of data). So yes (at least, as of this moment in time), you can indeed "stockpile" extra data by renewing early... nice!

Can anyone confirm the converse? That is, if you have unused data at time of renewal, and you just let autorenewal occur on renewal date, you unused data is NOT rolled over?

More
1 month 5 days ago #46191 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Tello

jamielih wrote:

Diedrich_Duo wrote:

peterquinn wrote: KentE wrote: "No, it allows you to keep this month's allotment through the end of the 'new' month.
Example: we have a 500mb plan, currently doubled to 1GB. Renewed a couple of days early just before 4/30 (so that I could pay with Tello Dollars), and it now shows 1.76gb until 5/30."

Oh wow, thank you, that's good to know! Is there a limit on how long the data rolls over? In other words, if you keep renewing a little early, can you build up a large balance kinda like Tracfone? That would work great as an emergency stash of data!

@peterquinn, I can also verify that your unused data rolls over for the next monthly billing period, even if part of the prior month's allotment was rolled over, too. I just renewed a little bit early again this month, for the second time in a row. Thanks to Tello's generous "double the data" campaign to help with the current COVID-19 situation, coupled with my early renewals, I am starting with 4.91 GB on my plan for this month (which is officially $10/mo for unlimited call/text and 1 GB of data). So yes (at least, as of this moment in time), you can indeed "stockpile" extra data by renewing early... nice!

Can anyone confirm the converse? That is, if you have unused data at time of renewal, and you just let autorenewal occur on renewal date, you unused data is NOT rolled over?

I can confirm on my Tello $5 500mbp a month account that the unused data is not rolled over when auto-renewing. That said, I find it odd that one could renew one or two days early every month and keep rolling over unused data for eternity. I wonder where in Tello's policies or tos the rollover situation is described, if at all? "Unreal"mobile on Sprint used to have a rollover policy where, if memory serves, only 500 mbps of unused data could be rolled over each month, and the total rollover data one was allowed to accumulate was limited, though that amount escapes me now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

More
1 month 5 days ago #46193 by jamielih
Replied by jamielih on topic Tello
@Isamorph

Thank you.

Another question (if anyone has experienced this): If I have unused data for current month, and I renew a few days before renewal date with a plan that has only minutes, does the unused data carry over to the new month?

More
1 month 5 days ago #46194 by Isamorph

jamielih wrote: @Isamorph

Thank you.

Another question (if anyone has experienced this): If I have unused data for current month, and I renew a few days before renewal date with a plan that has only minutes, does the unused data carry over to the new month?

Just retrieved the following from Tello's Help Page:

"Any unused minutes or data will be lost after 30 days, when your prepaid plan is automatically renewed. However, they roll over ONLY if you manually renew or change your plan before the end of your current billing cycle and ONLY if the new plan contains the services that you previously had.
For example, the minutes & data of your current plan will roll over if the new plan has minutes & data. However, if you decide to buy data only, the minutes will not roll over."

So it does look as if one can, by renewing one's plan early, accumulate unused data, which is odd and nice and something I will certainly do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih, PEW, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #46195 by Diedrich_Duo
Replied by Diedrich_Duo on topic Tello

jamielih wrote: Can anyone confirm the converse? That is, if you have unused data at time of renewal, and you just let autorenewal occur on renewal date, you unused data is NOT rolled over?

As @Isamorph already confirmed, your converse theory is correct -- if you don't renew early, none of your unused data is rolled over to your next month's plan.

Back to rolling over early... I normally don't use much data from my $10 unlimited calls & texts / 1 GB plan, but lately, due to the COVID-19 doubling and several consecutive (one-day-)early manual renewals, I've stockpiled over 4.5 GB, which under the current TOS, looks like it will remain available as long as I keep renewing early. Of course, being the frugal sort that I am, I ran the numbers, and even with the 12 days' "shorting" my monthly cost will average about $10.81 including taxes and fees. If you ask me, that's a heckuva good deal!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #46196 by Isamorph
Yes it is a good deal. I still find it interesting that in a sense Tello rewards one for manually renewing accounts whilst not doing so for auto renewing accounts. I guess it would be absurd for Tello to give me a $5 dollar discount for enabling auto-renew on my $5 account, for if so, I would never manually renew it.:unsure:

More
1 month 5 days ago #46197 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello
My theory is that the rollover function, for this purpose, was purely accidental. It was instituted so that folks didn't feel too bad about having to renew a plan early, since there are no top-ups available other than a PayGO balance. So if you run out of minutes & need to renew early, at least you don't lose the data you haven't used yet.

Perhaps it wasn't deemed worth ruling out for the basic purpose of rolling over balances, because it was also deemed a useful customer retention tool. My wife currently has 2.6gb of data and 1398 minutes stockpiled. She's not likely to use it, just because it's there-- it's there because she had no inclination to use even the small amount I paid for. I'm not going to tell her it's there, because then she would never let me move her elsewhere until she'd managed to use it all up-- which would likely to be never, if I kept it rolling forward.

More
1 month 5 days ago #46198 by Isamorph
Some accidents bring happiness.