Tello GSM is available

More
3 weeks 39 minutes ago - 3 weeks 35 minutes ago #91 by Promoze
Replied by Promoze on topic Tello GSM is available

How much is a 20gb tier? At that point might it not be worth it to go with Visible "unlimited" for $25/mo.?

8 GB tier is $20/mo, which I've seen discounted before for around $17/mo,
20 GB tier is $30/mo, which I've seen discounted discounted before for $25/mo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #92 by Promoze
Replied by Promoze on topic Tello GSM is available

Promoze, I think your sister is pretty thrifty with data, living on 8GB + 2g fallback, without wired internet service. I'm thrifty with cellular data, but don't think I could make that work...

Just a thought... if finding an affordable phone meeting your criteria looks like it will become a stumbling block...
Tracfone has the Samsung A20 (32gb/3gb), refurbished, for $50 right now. (Plan purchase required, and is additional, but there is a promo code that reduces the cost back to the $50 level.)
It should work on Net10 just fine. Unlocking will be an issue with the BYOD SIM, but $50 amortized over the year might not be too big a hurdle.
That phone can apparently also be GSM unlocked via aftermarket phone unlockers for under $10. I don't think the unofficial unlock will get it unlocked for Verizon, though-- and I understand your concern that Verizon is the only known good carrier for her location..

Thanks for the info.  I originally gave my sister a smartphone so that she could get on email and texting to keep in touch with the family easier, but then she got interested in using the web browser.  She has lived with 2 GB LTE + unlimited throttled data for most of the last few years, switching to 4 GB LTE just a few months ago.  See uses up her 4 GB full speed data before half the month is up, but her signal is bad enough, plus using such an old phone, it's not as obvious to her when it gets throttled down.  I advised that she might as well drop back to 2 GB.  I think if she had a newer phone and a better signal, she would use it more and eat up her data more quickly, so I suspect 8 GB will end up running well short at that point and that she'll ultimately need even more data.  I don't see her getting home internet to use wifi on her phone.  One of our siblings convinced her that she should just wait for now while she can still use her Tello plan on Sprint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.