Tello GSM is available

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #91 by Promoze
Replied by Promoze on topic Tello GSM is available

How much is a 20gb tier? At that point might it not be worth it to go with Visible "unlimited" for $25/mo.?

8 GB tier is $20/mo, which I've seen discounted before for around $17/mo,
20 GB tier is $30/mo, which I've seen discounted discounted before for $25/mo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #92 by Promoze
Replied by Promoze on topic Tello GSM is available

Promoze, I think your sister is pretty thrifty with data, living on 8GB + 2g fallback, without wired internet service. I'm thrifty with cellular data, but don't think I could make that work...

Just a thought... if finding an affordable phone meeting your criteria looks like it will become a stumbling block...
Tracfone has the Samsung A20 (32gb/3gb), refurbished, for $50 right now. (Plan purchase required, and is additional, but there is a promo code that reduces the cost back to the $50 level.)
It should work on Net10 just fine. Unlocking will be an issue with the BYOD SIM, but $50 amortized over the year might not be too big a hurdle.
That phone can apparently also be GSM unlocked via aftermarket phone unlockers for under $10. I don't think the unofficial unlock will get it unlocked for Verizon, though-- and I understand your concern that Verizon is the only known good carrier for her location..

Thanks for the info.  I originally gave my sister a smartphone so that she could get on email and texting to keep in touch with the family easier, but then she got interested in using the web browser.  She has lived with 2 GB LTE + unlimited throttled data for most of the last few years, switching to 4 GB LTE just a few months ago.  See uses up her 4 GB full speed data before half the month is up, but her signal is bad enough, plus using such an old phone, it's not as obvious to her when it gets throttled down.  I advised that she might as well drop back to 2 GB.  I think if she had a newer phone and a better signal, she would use it more and eat up her data more quickly, so I suspect 8 GB will end up running well short at that point and that she'll ultimately need even more data.  I don't see her getting home internet to use wifi on her phone.  One of our siblings convinced her that she should just wait for now while she can still use her Tello plan on Sprint.

More
1 month 2 hours ago #93 by ferocious-onyx-glossy-iguana-210905
stupid questions

1. 2 of the internet only ($39) a month plans i have for family, got the message they are ready to convert to gsm. i went to the byop checker. they came back clear with "awesome they want to join tello" ( i knew they would) but now theres a note that states tello cannot unlock a carrier locked phone. havent seen this message, but granted i havent switched/start phones in about 2 years so ive had no need to look. does this mean they wont work after all?

2. will the service still work on the cdma phone, while i wait for the new sim?

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 weeks 1 day ago #94 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello GSM is available

stupid questions

1. 2 of the internet only ($39) a month plans i have for family, got the message they are ready to convert to gsm. i went to the byop checker. they came back clear with "awesome they want to join tello" ( i knew they would) but now theres a note that states tello cannot unlock a carrier locked phone. havent seen this message, but granted i havent switched/start phones in about 2 years so ive had no need to look. does this mean they wont work after all?

2. will the service still work on the cdma phone, while i wait for the new sim?

Not stupid questions at all!
1)  Unlike the Sprint BYOD test tools some of us got used to, GSM check tools cannot tell if the phone is locked or unlocked, so you're seeing a generic warning.  (The check tool can only tell you if the phone is compatible with the new network.)  It's up to you to know whether or not your phone is unlocked.  (FWIW, I don't think Verizon IMEI checkers can tell if a phone is locked or unlocked, either.)

2)  Tello will send you an unactivated GSM SIM.  You choose when to activate it after it arrives, and your CDMA phone will continue working in the meantime. The changeover process will likely be slower than the nearly-instantaneous switch that takes place when you change from one Sprint phone to another:  behind the scene, it's technically a port of your number-- but at least Tello is in control of both ends of the port.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ferocious-onyx-glossy-iguana-210905

More
1 week 3 days ago #95 by ferocious-onyx-glossy-iguana-210905
@KentE
thanks for the info. i ended up switching the 2 internet phones over 1st. they took no time at all. with both i took advantage of the free texting that came with to test the incoming outgoing features. activate time from press of button to fully functioning was under 10 mins.

3 of the phone phones ( phones that use mins texting and data) i have on tello were another story. 1st off carrier unlocking is streamlined via app and non cs rep involved ( which i LOVE) with a metro branded phone . t mobile branded has an app but in the end i had to call cs rep. who was fair & did unlock but still stern in the fact that i should never buy used phones off ebay. ( honestly i take my chances and live with how the dice rolls). things that did hold me up. you cannot go through the carrier unlock without a sim. this presents the problem because once you enter the tello sim , tello wants to hand free you and the carrier unlock program stops them from doing that, so i had to go through unlock apps while tello is sending failed to join network notifications. after unlocking restarting is the only option but by then tello takes the long road and doesnt start the hands free activation again slowing up the process. 1 phone had no ability to update the profile manually , which caused me to keep restarting until the phone eventually did it. no phone i activated was up and running ready to "walk out the door" in under 30 mins. 2 were on the opposite side of 40 mins. and 1 took close to an hour. i will have to keep this in mind for the other 2 that will come to me .