Tello GSM is available

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #21 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Tello GSM is available

Forgot to mention, when I ordered the sims there was something alluding to the instructions emailed to customers, which I assume Tello assumed had been already been received by the customer before going through the online process of ordering a GSM sim. So it's likely the email instructions may have more information about the process than the process shown in my screenshot above. We'll see.

It will be interesting to see whether the instructions they send you are substantially different or not.  When I ordered new SIMs for my in-laws' new phones a couple of months ago while Tello was still exclusively on Sprint, the instructions (part of the email confirming the purchase) were nearly identical to those included with the SIM cards when they arrived.  Maybe it will be different now, given that you are activating on the new GSM platform.  Please keep us posted, and thank you for being one of our "convert pioneers" here on Nth Circle. 

I just noticed in item 8 of my screenshot above the instructions in the screenshot are apparently the same as the instructions sent in the email, so no worries.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 5 days ago #22 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello GSM is available
Isamorph, I've been thinking about your phone swap + carrier swap. I'm betting it's not going to be a problem, since GSM typically activates only the SIM. With most providers, the IMEI check is only to confirm the device is eligible-- after that, you can probably stick the SIM in whatever device you like. (And you're already past the IMEI check.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 4 days ago #23 by Isamorph

Isamorph, I've been thinking about your phone swap + carrier swap. I'm betting it's not going to be a problem, since GSM typically activates only the SIM. With most providers, the IMEI check is only to confirm the device is eligible-- after that, you can probably stick the SIM in whatever device you like. (And you're already past the IMEI check.)

I think you're right about GSM. As it turns out I changed my mind and decided to port the number out from this Tello account to my Liberty Wireless $60 dollar a year unlimited talk & text account since it's also on the T Mobile network and costs less than the Tello $8 + 1.62 tax monthly price. The Liberty Wireless account has worked well for almost a year now, and I'm about to renew it for another year at the same price. Phone is for my wife's mother who just needs t&t. As much as I like Tello, I prefer to save the $50+ a year going with the Liberty Wireless plan.

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 4 days ago #24 by KentE
A warning about forcing early switch to GSM: 2 reports on Reddit that after ordering the GSM replacement SIM (for an existing line), you won't be able to renew your line manually via self-service, apparently because it appears as an order in progress. (Presumably self-service early renewal returns at some point-- not enough reports to know whether that happens after the SIM is mailed, after they assume it's been received, or only after your line has been moved to the GSM SIM.)

Customer service can process the manual renewal early for you.

For those considering ordering a GSM SIM and just putting it away for awhile (instead of using it immediately), you might want to reconsider.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo, Frasier1, 112059

More
6 months 3 days ago #25 by Phoniac
Replied by Phoniac on topic Tello GSM is available

Liberty Wireless $60 dollar a year unlimited talk & text account 

This is very attractive.  Is this plan still available on ebay?  Thanks.

More
6 months 3 days ago #26 by Isamorph

Liberty Wireless $60 dollar a year unlimited talk & text account 

This is very attractive.  Is this plan still available on ebay?  Thanks.

Yes, and the unlimited T&T + 1GB yearly plan is a good deal, too, for $93. And $5 per GB if you need more data.

www.ebay.com/itm/5-Mo-Liberty-Wireless-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan/174582899616?_trkparms

www.ebay.com/itm/10-Mo-Liberty-Wireless-Prepaid-Wireless-Phone-Plan/174157748999?_trkparms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phoniac

More
6 months 13 hours ago #27 by Isamorph

(Thanks to jmac32here on Howard Forum for this...)

It looks like it's possible to rush your conversion to GSM if you're a current customer with a GSM-compatible phone already active.

The process: Lot in to your account, visit the BYOD test page, and enter your IMEI.
When doing this, my multicarrier moto tells me it's acceptable for GSM, and not compatible for CDMA swapping into a current line.. (A bug in the return info, I imagine, since the real situation is it's already active on Tello CDMA.)
On the Do You Have a Tello SIM? field, select "No, I need one. $9.99".
The GSM SIM will be offered. The cost changes to $0 on the next screen.
On the shipping page, you can select USPS Priority for $0 shipping cost.

Just wanted to report that I got my Tello GSM sims today, but as "jmac32here" and another poster on Hofo have reported, one cannot click the activation button on the activation page, so one must call Tello in order to get GSM sim and phone activated. So, if one is not in a hurry to move to GSM, perhaps waiting for the official migration email from Tello would make for an easier transition.

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 1 hour ago #28 by KentE
I've also been seeing a number of reports with functional issues, especially (but not entirely) with iPhones. (Problems with VoLTE, Visual Voicemail, Wifi calling, etc.). It's hard to tell for certain what's a provider issue vs a user/device issue.

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #29 by ajzwilli
Replied by ajzwilli on topic Tello GSM is available
Tello is offering a free sim today and tomorrow (Jan 30 & 31). You will see discount at checkout. Applies to new customer as well as new lines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phoniac

More
5 months 4 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #30 by Isamorph
Tello website is down for me. Seems the GSM rollout is a bit rocky.

Peculiar how the website went down after I informed CS for the Nth time that I could not activate my phone because its website was not functioning properly, after CS kept telling me I was not following instructions correctly. Anyway, there had been a notice on the website that it was scheduled for maintenance tonight until 5 am tomorrow. Guess they started early.

Edit: Just saw on Hofo the following supposed fix for the "activate" button on the Tello GSM activation page. I don't know why my 8 ball didn't tell me that, but I'll see if the fix works when Tello website is up and running.

"  Originally Posted by smokozuna 
File Attachment:

You guys can not hit the "Activate" button because where is says City it wants your Area Code and not the City you are in. Once you do this you can hit the Activate button. If you let your browser auto populate the form it puts your City in the box. Change the City to your Area code and it works perfectly."

"Can other members confirm this imprecision problem between "Area Code" and "City" for trying to activate on Tello?"

EDIT: The above fix alleging that inputting the area code in place of the city will get the activation button to work appears to be false, at least in mycase.