Tello GSM is available

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 1 week ago #1 by KentE
Tello GSM is available was created by KentE
It appears that Tello GSM (T-Mobile network) is now available.
It's on Tello's front page.
The BYOP test page currently verfieies both legacy-Sprint and GSM-only devices.  
On testing and confirming a GSM IMEI, I'm offered a GSM SIM for $9.99.
A Sprint-only MEID returns a note that it can only be activated as a replacement for an existing device.

Recap:  it appears that only GSM devices can be activated for new lines.
Sprint-only devices can still be swapped in to existing lines.
I haven't looked yet to see whether one can request a GSM replacement SIM for an existing Sprint/CDMA line.

If you've been waiting for GSM access to join Tello, don't forget to grab a referral link from the Referral Thread in this forum.  A referral earns both you and the referring party 10 Tello dollars that can be used to pay for a month's plan.  
www.nthcircle.com/forum/general/76-referral-links-allowed-in-this-thread-only-hungryghost?start=90
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Frasier1, tech-stitch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 1 week ago #2 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello GSM is available
Just a little quick poking around the Tello website:
It does appear that at least some of the pages have been updated to go along with the GSM conversion.

Tentatively, I see (assuming that the page updates are commensurate with the introduction of GSM)::
Fallback 2G is still mentioned for all monthly plans including data. (I suspect that the 2G speed may go up a notch, since it seems like T-Mobile's fallback 2G speed has been faster than legacy-Sprint's.)
Unlimited text is still mentioned for all monthly plans.
Tethering is still included.
Capability of changing plans at will still seems viable.
PayGo credit still seems available, at the same per unit rate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, Isamorph, Frasier1

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #3 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Tello GSM is available
Existing customers can't swap sprint phones any more or port in a number without switching to GSM.  They make you pay $9.99.  

Of course it happens just on the morning I was about to swap to a new phone. Oh well.

Okay scratch that where it says enter activation code for the tello sim you can still add in the ICCID and it will swap in a sprint phone.

Edit 2 looks like all IMEIs are being rejected now.  They must be working on the system
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #4 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello GSM is available
The official Tello blog has been updated to reflect this. I didn't spot any surprising new info beyond what we already expected:
blog.tello.com/news/new-gsm-network-same-unbeatable-plans/

Sometime this quarter, existing CDMA users should receive an email offering transition to GSM with a free SIM.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm, Frasier1, 112059

More
6 months 1 week ago #5 by Frasier1
Replied by Frasier1 on topic Tello GSM is available
I just ordered a new gsm sim from Tello.  The sim was free but the shipping was 5 bucks.  Whats confusing to me is that it seems if you are a new customer you  can order the sim and everything is fine. But if your an existing customer (as I am) they want you to "wait" untill they send you an email.  Maybe this is because for existing customers they intend on not charging 5 bucks for shipping.  Otherwise it looks like new customers can get set up before existing ones.  Or maybe it has to do with auto-porting your number but at any rate I ordered one and it was 5 bucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, Isamorph

More
6 months 1 week ago #6 by Phoniac
Replied by Phoniac on topic Tello GSM is available

I just ordered a new gsm sim from Tello.  The sim was free but the shipping was 5 bucks.  Whats confusing to me is that it seems if you are a new customer you  can order the sim and everything is fine. But if your an existing customer (as I am) they want you to "wait" untill they send you an email.  Maybe this is because for existing customers they intend on not charging 5 bucks for shipping.  Otherwise it looks like new customers can get set up before existing ones.  Or maybe it has to do with auto-porting your number but at any rate I ordered one and it was 5 bucks.

When you receive the SIM, could you report whether it has an expiration date?  I want one for emergency situations for Tello’s unlimited talk plan.  Don’t want to buy one and then have it expire on me.  Happened to me with a Tracfone Tmobile SIM - and that one was just a buck as opposed to 5 bucks for Tello.

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #7 by rolandh
Replied by rolandh on topic Tello GSM is available
For what's it's worth, every T-Mobile network SIM I’ve seen whether it’s T-Mobile itself or an MVNO has an activate by (expiration) date. Typically, that date is 2-3 years from purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frasier1, Phoniac

More
6 months 1 week ago #8 by Phoniac
Replied by Phoniac on topic Tello GSM is available

For what's it's worth, every T-Mobile network SIM I’ve seen whether it’s T-Mobile itself or an MVNO has an activate by (expiration) date. Typically, that date is 2-3 years from purchase.

I wonder why they do that, given that it keeps customers like me away.  Also leads to more electronic waste, no matter how tiny a SIM card is.

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #9 by rolandh
Replied by rolandh on topic Tello GSM is available
Candidly, I don't know why. Theoretically, it may have something to do with T-Mobile's network infrastructure. For example, both Verizon and Sprint use SIMs for LTE connectiviity. Verizon has one SIM. Sprint has 4 different flavors (nothing to do with SIM size) depnding upon which phone one needs the SIM for. It's apparently not a general GSM thing. AT&T network SIMs don't typically have an Activate By date. Of course, the lack of a published expiration date on the SIM doesn't in and of itself mean a SIM is good forever.

Or, it may simply be "policy" to discourage storing of SIMs without activating service. I both understand and share the desire for in case of emergency storage but from the provider's perspective it doesn't do them much good. They're interested in and profit from folks using their service regularly not so much as an emergency backup.

In any event, I've used TMO proper SIMs as well as TMO network SIMs on Mint Mobile, Republic Wireless and Ting. All had an Activate By date. I would be happy to be proven incorrect but don't see any reason Tello TMO network SIMs would be an exception to the rule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
6 months 1 week ago #10 by ZZWang
Replied by ZZWang on topic Tello GSM is available
Wish the 2G speed can be improved to 128kbps with TMO.