Tello to expire numbers on August 14

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47365 by redrotors
Haven't gotten the email from Tello, yet. Have 2 lines that qualify for the death knell.

Re the pageplus option, I used to buy the $10 refill (good for 120 days) for $8-$9.xx so a year was in the high $20 range for VZW network but the best I could do / find on the most recent refill was $10 even (pinzoo).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47367 by bingyee
I actually looked into Pirhana a while back and rejected them. I had wanted to get something that would give me a UK number based in Manchester. Unfortunately, Pirhana's default number are based in the Channel Islands, and the calls actually cost more.

I was hoping to get my niece who had been living in London and has plans to attend grad school at Oxford to get me a UK number on a Truphone SIM this summer, and then bring it to me on a visit to the U.S. But unfortunately, COVID.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47370 by KentE

bingyee wrote: I actually looked into Pirhana a while back and rejected them. I had wanted to get something that would give me a UK number based in Manchester. Unfortunately, Pirhana's default number are based in the Channel Islands, and the calls actually cost more.

I was hoping to get my niece who had been living in London and has plans to attend grad school at Oxford to get me a UK number on a Truphone SIM this summer, and then bring it to me on a visit to the U.S. But unfortunately, COVID.

I've wondered if the limited locations for phone #'s at Piranha are part of the business plan: Incoming calls are free to the Piranha user, but not necessarily to the caller, or to the telecom network in the middle.. If Piranha has a deal with the local rate center provider, perhaps they get a kickback on those charges to callers.

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47373 by dst11

KentE wrote: The biggest catch I'm aware of: the default numbers are UK numbers. A US number costs $0.70/month, and may be limited to only certain area codes.

Yes, that's a big gotcha. If I give a UK number to the few people in the US that call me to call me, I think they will flip out! And they may not call me at all because, as you mentioned, UK calling rates are a different animal than domestic call rates.

:)

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47374 by Chelle
I've got Piranha Mobile and gave up the U.S. number when they were no longer free.

I now have a U.K. number, instead.

I don't use it, much, but it's been trouble free so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, PEW, dst11

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47386 by tech-stitch
So far, no email and my last order date is 05/2019, so well over due. Cant complain though. If it goes, let it RIP! For now, it works. Best of luck to all.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47387 by PEW
No email for me either.

Attachments:

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47388 by Promoze

dst11 wrote:

Promoze wrote: I received the same thing on a bunch of phones.

Very disappointing. These weren't the terms I agreed to when I originally purchased the Tello PAYGO. Originally, the only requirement was at least some use once every 6 months.

And when they finally implement this change, they only give us a week notice. I'll be letting all but one line expire.

I think I remember your username from the good old R+ days! Do I remember correctly?

Yes, I was on the R+ discourse, then R+ social after that - same avatar also. Registered here a few years back when R+ was ending their service.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #47389 by Promoze
I think I got a notice for every Tello phone I have except for the one I actually use more regularly, but my last order shows March 2019, so it's should be due as well (I also checked junk mail). Ironic - it's the only one I don't mind adding to the balance.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #47399 by tech-stitch
I wonder if part of the selection process involves prior usage.