Can anyone beat Tello?

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41026 by Hungry-Hog
Replied by Hungry-Hog on topic Can anyone beat Tello?
It looks that redpocket beats tello now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41027 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Can anyone beat Tello?
$5/mo for 500mb LTE data then unlimited 2g.
No voice minutes
Unlimited text

Something to consider, I guess.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41031 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Can anyone beat Tello?

peterquinn wrote: KentE wrote: "It's too bad there isn't an add-on for minutes." You may be in luck, looks like they do have add-on minutes assuming this Help page is accurate -- help.goredpocket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002889591-Can-I-add-more-LTE-data-minutes-and-texts-mid-month-

Thanks for catching that! I'm not sure if it applies to the $3 FP/RP plan, though. I looked again, and the add-ons specifically only mention data.. If one can select minutes, it's not obvious how to do so. I have to chat with Red Pocket in the next day or 2, and will try to remember to ask about it.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41032 by Hungry-Hog
Replied by Hungry-Hog on topic Can anyone beat Tello?

PEW wrote: $5/mo for 500mb LTE data then unlimited 2g.
No voice minutes
Unlimited text

Could you make reliable VoIP phone calls with its 2g data? If not then it only worth of 2 dollars.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41033 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic Can anyone beat Tello?

Hungry-Hog wrote:

No voice minutes
Unlimited text

Could you make reliable VoIP phone calls with its 2g data? If not then it only worth of 2 dollars.

Does not really matter, I don't get many calls. I can pay by the minute.
I'm leaning toward signing up for unlimited in-car AT&T wifi for $15/mo so can call out at home and near car then use work phone when at work. :)

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41034 by KentE

Hungry-Hog wrote:

No voice minutes
Unlimited text

I'm curious how you arrived at the $2 'worth'?

.... I read some time ago that at least some VoIP systems will work with Tello '2g' speed-- I think Text Now and Google Voice have been reported. I never tried either myself on 2G, and reports were several years ago.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41035 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic Can anyone beat Tello?

Hungry-Hog wrote:

No voice minutes
Unlimited text

It's been several years but I've made Google Hangouts calls on Tello 2g data and they worked fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW

More
4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #41036 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Can anyone beat Tello?
500 Mb of LTE data will get one approximately 2,500 call minutes using the Google Voice app for calls since it has been stated that GV uses about 0.2 Mb of data a minute while calling, assuming my math is correct.-- 5 x 0.2Mb=5 minutes of calling or 1 Mb of data use and 500Mb x 5 minutes=2500 minutes. So if one can also make calls at 2g speeds using GV app, then one could call forever.:dry:

support.google.com/voice/answer/7649189?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en-GB

support.google.com/voice/thread/1679055?hl=en

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41037 by KentE
Chelle writes: "It's been several years but I've made Google Hangouts calls on Tello 2g data and they worked fine. "

I remember a report in the latter days of the RingPlus forum from someone who said TextNow VoIP calling also worked fine on Tello 2G.
(Remember that 'fallback 2G' is really throttled LTE. It seems that latency might be more important than throughput for VoIP, and while true 2G cannot support VoIP, slow LTE seems to work pretty well.)

Hungry_Hog, I think I may remember where your "worth $2" came from, since I now remember a previous thread where you stated that fallback 2G was only worth $2 to you.
If that's the case, then Tello's $5 or $6 plan should be 'worth' it against FreedomPop/Red Pocket's $3 plan, if you can make use of the extras. (Unlimited text, over double the high-speed data, fallback 2G.) Of course, 'worth it' is always dependent on whether or not the extras are useful to an individual.

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #41041 by peterquinn
Replied by peterquinn on topic Can anyone beat Tello?
Wait, I'm confused here. Does Tello offer unlimited text with their 500mb per month plan?