Tello Minimum PAYG $20

• st3fx
  • st3fx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
6 months 6 hours ago #40412 by st3fx
Tello Minimum PAYG $20 was created by st3fx
Minimum purchase for Tello PAYG credit is now $20. Previously, $10. Not sure when change was made.

tello.com/buy/pay_as_you_go
The following user(s) said Thank You: PEW, als, Isamorph, mmfacemm, Diedrich_Duo, tech-stitch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 5 hours ago #40416 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20
Thanks. That is a shame but still the best paygo out there if sprint coverage is okay for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diedrich_Duo, st3fx

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #40430 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20

st3fx wrote: Minimum purchase for Tello PAYG credit is now $20. Previously, $10. Not sure when change was made.

On my Tello Paygo account, my auto-recharge minimum still says $10, so it could be existing Paygo users prior to the change will be grandfathered and retain the $10 minimum recharge. If not so, no big deal to pay Tello $20 in advance for having a backup phone for possibly a few years before it needs its credits refilled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, st3fx

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #40431 by GeorgeDog
Replied by GeorgeDog on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20

st3fx wrote: Minimum purchase for Tello PAYG credit is now $20. Previously, $10. Not sure when change was made.

My acct still shows $10 if you do the auto refill when the balance falls below $2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, st3fx

More
5 months 1 week ago #40734 by Zubrin
Replied by Zubrin on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20
Pay As You Go Service Agreement
Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 1, 2017.

Really?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #40738 by Isamorph

Zubrin wrote: Pay As You Go Service Agreement
Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 1, 2017.

Really?

Is this in Tello's TOS, or where'd you see it? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in Tello's T&C.

tello.com/terms#paragraph_pay_as_you_go

Evidently, Tello hasn't been enforcing this policy, assuming by "order", Tello means adding money or credit to one's Paygo account. Doesn't sound like a Paygo account if one must add $20 every 3 months. Perhaps by "order" Tello means using some Paygo credit by means of a call, text, or data usage.

"Pay As You Go refunds - tello.com will refund the total unused amount still available in an account as long as the Pay As You Go balance is still active. The PAYG balance becomes inactive if the service is not used (there are no calls or data usage sessions or orders placed) for 3 months in a row. Partial refunds can be offered for unused PAYG balances as decided on a case to case analysis."

tello.com/terms#paragraph_pay_as_you_go
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, Diedrich_Duo, Zubrin

More
5 months 1 week ago #40742 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20
Like several folks on the forum, I can attest that Tello has not enforced a 90-day "order" requirement, unless it's something new. I put $30 in a PayGo account far longer ago than that, and it keeps being active.

I have used the phone within any 90-day period. I think other forum members have said that Tello is good about texting your number to show some activity should you miss that deadline. (Tello going out of their way, again, to treat customers fairly.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, Zubrin

More
5 months 5 days ago #40803 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20

Zubrin wrote: Pay As You Go Service Agreement

Really?

This is causing some consternation on several forums.
I looked at snapshots of the terms from earlier dates, via Internet Archives (Wayback Machine).

As recently as July 2019, the same section read:
"Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order or call, text or data session, effective September 1, 2017. If none of the actions mentioned above was carried out in a period of 3 months, SIM and Pay As You Go credit will not be available for calls."

It's definitely a change in the terms, and it definitely took place much more recently than the September 2017 date listed in the current version.

The question now becomes when/if Tello chooses to enforce it-- but the change in the terms leaves them room to do so. I hope Tello will clarify this, and give some warning before enforcing it on individual accounts. I fear they could take a major hit on their well-deserved reputation if folks lose important numbers and/or service unexpectedly.

Especially, note that enforcement would make Tello (pure) PayGo a non-starter for most looking for a budget low-use plan. Tied with the $20 minimum PayGo order, this would raise the monthly average cost to just under $7/month. Tello's regular $6 plan beats this, as does Hello Mobile's $5 plan, or the FreedomPop/Red Pocket $3 plan. (All on Sprint.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
5 months 5 days ago #40804 by Isamorph
I want to think this possibly truncated T&C statement from Tello is an oversight or proofreading mistake since it conflicts with and is a huge change from the July 2019 T&C statement, as well as being certainly out of sync with Tello's past behavior where they would have notified customers of such a big change. We know Tello does read and respond to posts in this forum and also posts info they think we should know about, so we should hear from them soon. Tello wouldn't be Tello if this out of the blue PayGo statement is true.

I just emailed Tello asking for clarification.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, als, Diedrich_Duo

• als
  • Smartphone
  • Smartphone
More
5 months 5 days ago #40805 by als
Replied by als on topic Tello Minimum PAYG $20
I was considering bringing our two lines over to tello before the end of the month, and keeping my paygo line as an emergency phone, but now i have serious doubts. i will wait to see what tello says before making up my mind.