× Are you a MVNO or telecom employee? Get a Verified badge! www.nthcircle.com/forum/welcome/106-verified-representatives

Is this a good idea for a backup sim card?

More
1 month 4 days ago #42986 by redrotors

dst11 wrote: What network does Truphone use in the U.S.

Isamorph wrote: ..... It uses the AT&T network in the USA with......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #42987 by Isamorph
redrotors wrote: "Ever any "$1" deals on truphone sims? Would be nice to not pay $15 for SIM."

I have never seen any deals on the Truphone sims let alone one for $1, which of course doesn't mean there have been no deals.
Just to mention that if one uses GV to call from a TP sim using mobile data, one could likely reduce the outgoing call rate to about 2 cents a minute since 5 minutes of calling with GV over mobile data uses about 1MB = 9 cents of Truphone data.

More
1 month 4 days ago #42989 by scriptninja
Alternatively, last time I checked, you can still use the mobile Google Voice web interface to trigger a callback (GV calls you, you answer, GV calls your destination number and connects). That ought to use a miniscule amount of data to trigger the callback and then a free inbound call.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
1 month 4 days ago #42990 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
I have been tempted by TruPhone as well - but it is neither very economical to start, nor in use, really - even for someone who will use it as little as I do.

Too bad that Redpocket has been a real stinker this year, as that was the best deal of all...when it was available at the sale price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 month 4 days ago #42992 by KentE
To me, Truphone seems economical for a true emergency phone. $30 for an always-ready-forever (relatively speaking) seems like a good deal. The only current offer that beats it for dollar outlay is FreedomPop (free) + VoIP, and most of us are aware of the potential pitfalls there.

It becomes uneconomical if one needs to use it with any regularity, unless extremely lightly..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
1 month 3 days ago #42997 by Isamorph
scriptninja wrote: "Alternatively, last time I checked, you can still use the mobile Google Voice web interface to trigger a callback (GV calls you, you answer, GV calls your destination number and connects). That ought to use a miniscule amount of data to trigger the callback and then a free inbound call."

Yes, I'm sure many Truphone sim users have used this and other workarounds over the years, and I've yet to hear of anyone's account with Truphone being expired for doing so, which I find surprising in that I suspect TP would be able to detect a large amount of free incoming calls with little to none outgoing calls on a user's account and would likely put a stop to it. As touched upon in the Nth forum link below, if TP did nothing to thwart a user from using the sim for virtually free inbound and outbound calling, then Truphone would be the most sought after sim in the world. And if x amount of users did the call back trick, then Truphone would likely do away with the sim deal entirely due to losing money on the deal.

www.nthcircle.com/forum/other-mvnos/69-truphone

KentE wrote: "To me, Truphone seems economical for a true emergency phone. $30 for an always-ready-forever (relatively speaking) seems like a good deal. The only current offer that beats it for dollar outlay is FreedomPop (free) + VoIP, and most of us are aware of the potential pitfalls there."

It becomes uneconomical if one needs to use it with any regularity, unless extremely lightly.."

I believe I've gotten by on about $15 a year with the Truphone sim, or about $1.25 a month, which is a good deal for an infrequently used service that has always worked when needed. It would not be much of a deal without the free incoming calls and texts, a feature that I,m sure is users take advantage of, and a feature I'm not sure how TP is able to offer since it must pay something for incoming calls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #42999 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Given my very sporadic AT&T need - the FU free deal is fine for as long as it may last.
The past month I used all of 20 minutes for voice calling & nothing else.

When redpocket generously offered its discount on the essentials plan, I used the AT&T services much more just because I like that phone even better than my old Kyocera that is on Twigby.

BUT:
The $30 up-front with the $15 credit to help soften their 9 cents/minute outgoing charges would have me avoiding its use like crazy - so I'll stick with the annoying FU deal while it is still possible & avoid using that as well.
If/when all else may fail, then I'll consider the Truphone + GV option as a sort of last ditch choice...

(And as has been discussed FP VOIP is a non-option in our area.)
((Add in my disdain for all the possible TF deals & these choices are what remains.))

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #43001 by dst11
Nice! I'm looking at their website, the nthcircle thread, and their wikipedia entry and I can't find a couple things I want. 1. Do they allow BYOD? 2. Do they have a 'new order every x days' rule like Tello implemented, or any other expiring credit rules?

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #43004 by Isamorph

dst11 wrote: Nice! I'm looking at their website, the nthcircle thread, and their wikipedia entry and I can't find a couple things I want. 1. Do they allow BYOD? 2. Do they have a 'new order every x days' rule like Tello implemented, or any other expiring credit rules?

BYOD---Yes(unlocked GSM phones).

mmfacemm said: "They really don't bother to even enforce the 180 day calling requirement so you can just leave it. I went a few years without using it once and they still kept the balance for me."

www.nthcircle.com/forum/misc-telecom/3038-is-this-a-good-idea-for-a-backup-sim-card?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, dst11

More
1 month 2 days ago #43022 by dst11

Isamorph wrote:

dst11 wrote: Nice! I'm looking at their website, the nthcircle thread, and their wikipedia entry and I can't find a couple things I want. 1. Do they allow BYOD?

BYOD---Yes(unlocked GSM phones).

2. Do they have a 'new order every x days' rule like Tello implemented, or any other expiring credit rules?

mmfacemm said: "They really don't bother to even enforce the 180 day calling requirement so you can just leave it. I went a few years without using it once and they still kept the balance for me."

www.nthcircle.com/forum/misc-telecom/3038-is-this-a-good-idea-for-a-backup-sim-card?start=0

Orders Isamorph. Orders!

dst11 wrote: What network does Truphone use in the U.S.

Jeez. Just my luck! You gave me two links, HF and Nthcircle, and I checked the Nthcircle, Wiki, and Truphone. Today I open the HF link and the 1st line says:

Truphone is an international SIM card that works on unlocked GSM phones.
It currently uses the AT&T network only in the USA.

Darn it. If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all!

Thanks Isamorph!