Very disappointed. Better comparison and/or suggestions, please ??

More
2 months 6 days ago #42283 by KentE

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Apparently the add-ons do expire whereas the top-ups don't ??
This is the impression I got from the phone rep - but you may wish to use the number I posted to call and ask them also.

I thought I knew the answer to this, but on checking before posting, you may have pointed me towards something I wasn't aware of.....

FreeUP uses the term 'PayGO' differently than we usually think about it. FreeUP's Paygo ILD applies only to International Long Distance calling. This desposit/add-on doesn't expire, but remains available as long as your line is active.

The normal add-ons for calls/text or data expire when your current month expires. They don't roll over past your monthly renewal date.

But, I noticed when looking just now that the United States does appear as a destination in the International rates list, at $0.02/minute. So, in theory at least, you could make a non-expiring $5 PayGo ILD desposit, and still having calling available should you exceed your monthly allotment. This appears to be a great idea!

Caveats: I don't see sms mentioned as available through PayGo ILD. (Really nice if it was also covered.) And if you're counting on being able to use this for US calling, I'd ask CS for confirmation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Diedrich_Duo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 6 days ago #42291 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Well, as I see it - once (and if...) they keep to their words to ditch that horrid/annoying default recording, I will spare that account a $5 top-up to see how it goes as time passes.
Given that the old RP ate loads more than that when it was killed off, and after having 2+ months of totally free backup AT&T services from FU, I'm OK if that $5 just sits there forever - especially if it keeps their system from making any more annoyances that I am forced to hear !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
2 months 6 days ago #42299 by scriptninja
I discovered the other day (mostly by accident) that despite being on the free plan with no data, I was able to use data...which I subsequently ascertained was being charged at some rate I estimate to be around 5-7 cents per megabyte from the sub-$2 balance I accumulated before the rewards program ended.

I was confused by that one at first. Now I'm curious whether that balance would automatically top-up from my payment method on file if I exhausted it or what - like Kent, I'd be far more likely to want to charge that balance than to get an add-on, even if there were any add-ons listed as available to me.

But - I'm dual-sim with Freedompop for data, I have plenty of top-up with them already, and 250 minutes+texts is around ten times my typical monthly usage even without considering using Freedompop for some calls...so it would still probably only make sense for me as a way to get rid of that recording, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
2 months 6 days ago - 2 months 6 days ago #42305 by Diedrich_Duo

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Well, as I see it - once (and if...) they keep to their words to ditch that horrid/annoying default recording, I will spare that account a $5 top-up to see how it goes as time passes.
Given that the old RP ate loads more than that when it was killed off, and after having 2+ months of totally free backup AT&T services from FU, I'm OK if that $5 just sits there forever - especially if it keeps their system from making any more annoyances that I am forced to hear !!

Uh oh, E_Z... looks like you might need another option after all:
www.nthcircle.com/forum/freeup/2912-updated-freeup-plan?start=10#42290
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist