Annual redpocket plans on super sale - ebay

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24737 by mmfacemm
You guys keep tempting me with this. Any reason you are preferring the stylo 3 vs the samsung halo?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24743 by KentE

mmfacemm wrote: You guys keep tempting me with this. Any reason you are preferring the stylo 3 vs the samsung halo?

Total cost to end up with an unlocked phone. The LG's can be reliably unlocked (by code) by known vendors for $2. The Samsung models seem to cost about $25 to unlock from vendors I recognize, and seem to require a remote session to unlock-- although I see some cheaper ebay listings that claim to do it for around $13.

Personal preference, but if I'm looking at $75 to get a GSM-unlocked Samsung Halo, I'd be tempted to just save my money for a $129 4-carrier factory unlocked Moto E4.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24744 by SuccessOne
I couldn't decide too. In the end, I also get Samsung Halo which is equivalent to Samsung J7. Stylo 3 is slightly bigger screen: 5.7" versus Samsung Halo: 5.5". Unlocking Stylo 3 cost around $2 and around $20 for Samsung Halo on eBay. You can't go wrong with either of these phones!

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #24750 by KentE

freeform wrote: This post may display my ignorance, but any answer will at least help me re-direct.

When trying to reload a “feature” Tracfone device on the 13th month with a new eBay minutes/data “deal”, is it possible that restrictions could be circumvented by changing the 15th # (checksum) of the EMEI # ( during online execution of the deal with Tracfone) ?

Note: this would be done prior to inserting the new SIM. And even if all this worked, direct number “porting” wouldn’t be possible.

I tried to pose this question as best I could. I hope it makes sense.

Could you help me with what you're trying to do ? Do you have a feature phone, and hope to refill it by using a bundled Tracfone smartphone deal? If so, that won't work-- the bundled minutes are tied to the new phone. You can harvest them only by transferring your old line to the new phone. No problem switching back to a previous smartphone after that, but I'm pretty sure they won't allow you to switch back to a feature phone.

(The feature phone accounting system is done on the phone itself, burned into the firmware. The smartphone accounting system is via remote server. The feature phones don't use a SIM card.......)

You could do this if a feature phone bundle popped up somewhere-- but I haven't seen one in about a year.
No problem, however, if you're comfortable switching to the bundled smartphone, and giving up your feature phone.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #24753 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Hi Folks.
Well - its deja vu time I guess - shades of the old rp have arisen to haunt me !!!

After all the BS trying to get an order in with crocket (mispelling deliberate), here is the wonderful present I found in my email 1st thing today:

Cricket here. We were unable to verify the information you provided, so we have canceled your order.

Yep.
Perfectly good street address with the Amex card registered to it, all was compatible & appeared to go through - and yes - they actually took the funds as I verified it in that account - it was more than just an authorization.

So here's the deja vu part:
This is EXACTLY what rp did when I tried getting a phone from them on their super-duper deal...
Actually took the funds - cancelled - then had to be hassled to return the funds taken for nothing.

So - that's IT:
No more crocket for this guy - I'M DONE !!!

The only possible permutation moving forward from here with that brand would be if a chain store offers a great deal so I can just walk in & do a straight phone buy, but that has now become my hard & fast limit on this whole idea.

Now...if only I am able to easily trim down the micro SIM to nano size, I'll just change from the Blu to the LG Risio until the TF service is used up, else I'll have to get a new SIM from TF.

What a mess.
Just glad to be DONE with wasting my time.

Lastly - as to the TF 'minute flavours':
I really don't care what their excuses are - we paid or 'em so we should have 'em...period.

Her phone is one of those crippled-up (zombie) Android/TF things.
When I changed from the cheapie phone to that, TF tried the same baloney & I kept at them so long that they just replaced the minutes at no charge - but I'm not doing that again as I'm just not up for it.

What disturbs me profoundly about the evils of these various providers is the lose-lose aspect of it.
Pretty much no matter how things shake out it is ALWAYS haha - we win, you lose.
The only differences are whether it is time/money/efforts - but the cost always falls on the consumer's head.
There is little or zero give in any of this because these rotten corpies KNOW that folks are so in love with their toys that they'll do most anything to keep their habits fed & fattened up.

That theory fails utterly with us.
Yes, we want to be able to make calls as needed & send some texts now & then, but we sometimes go weeks without powering up even 1 of our phones.

Sure, this makes us the worst possible customers for these rotten corpies & if it causes such entities any grief at all, I'm grateful for the ability to bring that to the table !!!

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24755 by Isamorph
Sorry to hear about all the crock you received in your attempt to get a new phone. You probably already are aware that there are some online sites that provide nice patterns for cutting down a sim card, something I have done once successfully. Sorry, I cannot remember the link that I used. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Diedrich_Duo

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #24761 by Diedrich_Duo

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Yes, we want to be able to make calls as needed & send some texts now & then, but we sometimes go weeks without powering up even 1 of our phones.

Hi there, @E_Z. Sorry to hear about your latest fiasco. Thankfully, you already know the one-word solution for all of your problems, the one word that provides you with no-hassle, reliable, customer-friendly, not-too-expensive, and consistent Sprint service with Verizon roaming thrown in for good measure (even though it's not available through Red Pocket): Twigby!

Good luck and here's hoping you recover soon! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #24766 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Hi Isamorph & D.D., and thanks for your kind replies.
As it happens I can easily copy the form factor from a spare TF/BYOD nano SIM, so that will be easy as long as I don't gaff it up.

As for recovery & choices...
Thanks for the well-wish !!

As long as Twigby stays so good we'll stay with them - NO question there, BUT=>
It really is time for me to have just a single phone with them & to stop my indulgence with the 2nd phone.
I may even put the remaining phone onto the next tier just to get more minutes as it is so cheap anyhow.

The 2nd Twigby phone just needs to stop though - and my plan to port that number to crocket was zero comfort for me - it was ONLY agreeable in order to get a near-tablet sized GSM device & since that effort failed I'll just keep watching for a better deal minus all the time waste.

Of course Twigby has no plans to get into GSM - if they did I'd grab onto that instantly !!

I did get the Red Pocket deal for 500 minutes that the OP here is about, and glad I did.
It'll be a goodness for me to port that 2nd Twigby number to it when I activate that, but 1st I'll be using up all the excess TF minutes so there's no hurry.

Addendum:
Yay !!
I very carefully snipped the TF SIM & now have it working fine inside the spare (crocket) LG Risio 2 which I got for a song at the big, ugly, mostly yellow box store.
So I can easily use up my excess TF resources now without any rush & then just change that phone over to Red Pocket after I'm done with TF.
If it happens that I am also able to use whatever credit I have left over from CN to add units to the new RP services later on, then so much the better...we'll see.
For now though, all good & I'm actually one up on crocket by having a good, cheap, non-activated, unlocked phone that'll NEVER bring them a nickel of profit.
HAH !! Take that you evil crocket fiends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph, Diedrich_Duo

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24791 by SuccessOne
E_Z, Sorry to hear that after all your efforts in making it work. Seem to me as long as the order being shipped is same as on the credit card, it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, one final suggestion is: maybe has some other family member, friend, neighbor to order it for you and you reimburse them. But I can understand the frustration after going through that.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24798 by KentE
I'm using the Sprint-network version of the LG Risio 2 as my main phone-- it's not bad at all. Certainly better behaved than the cheap BLU I have, in all aspects other than speaker volume-- where the BLU has it beat. Roughly equivalent to the Moto E 2015.

ET_Z: something you should keep in mind while you use your Tracfone minutes up on that Risio 2. Although Tracfone has no problem with a user SIM-swapping in GSM phones, all tracking of allotments via their centralized server is tied to the registered ESN/phone on the line. You need to hang on to that original Tracfone even if you're not actually using it, or switch to a BYOD SIM (usually found for $1).
If you were to sell the original Tracfone, and the buyer activated it on Tracfone with a new SIM, your existing Tracfone line would be cancelled.