Annual redpocket plans on super sale - ebay

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24696 by KentE
ET_Z, was that after entering the information for the port?

I was aware that Cricket stores charge an additional fee-- a lot of them are franchises.
The shipping address thing is a drag! I buy from one online company that will only ship to the billing address, and I always forget that they also only ship "signature required". Inevitably, it then requires me to call, make arrangements, and drive to the depot to pick it up, since there's rarely anyone at my street address on delivery days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #24697 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Hi KentE, and thanks.
Of course, yes - the best deal is ONLY when porting in, so I did put all the info in, just stopped short of hitting the pay now sort of button when I saw the price !!

Thanks for this effort 112059:

112059 wrote: I did a test purchase as well (online) and you have to port in a new number to get the phone discount, activation was waived as well. I did not proceed past the name, address, etc to get the sim price or the taxes, but porting in a number did get me the phone discount.

And I put in all that info as it demands as well, and the price stayed high as shown.
Maybe that is their way of refusing the porting without saying so - or what, I don't know - but it does NOT inspire confidence, that much is certain !!!

A further, smallish disappointment:
The Redpocket 500 minute deal at fleabay went from $84 to $89 since last night & there is no general discount to be found for fleabay right now, so far...
Meh.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24698 by SuccessOne
E_Z, which cell carrier was you porting from? Different carriers have different procedures. Like for T-mobile , will require pin # which you can get from customer service rep. if you've forgotten it. For Tello, you just need your customer account number. No pin needed. If some sites require a pin to enter, just make up the pin like "0000" or enter your zip code. I ported in a T-mobile number, I did have to enter all the information needed to port from T-mboile. Of course, I checked if the price and everything were correct before finalizing my order. Mine came out to about $49.00 something. I don't know why your price didn't change. Perhaps a good Cricket customer rep can look into it.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24712 by Zubrin
E_Z, Make sure that you port in a number that is not part of AT&T family (Such as H2O). I ported in a number from Ting and I got discounted price.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24716 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks again Folks !!
I had all the needed info for a port so that was not the problem - but the # is a GSM/TF # which may have it tied to AT&T - so that may be what was awry with the attempted order...?

The only other number I have which is OK for this is a Textnow number - else I'd have to use my Twigby number.

Any suggestions which might save me some wasted time & effort in this if I try it again ??

Thanks.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #24717 by Zubrin
Twigby number will be fine. Textnow number may not be accepted by Cricket.

Make sure credit card billing address is an exact match to the mailing address.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24721 by KentE
Most GSM Tracfones are AT&T--they only sell T-Mobile in very limited markets. You might be able to confirm it by checking the number on freecarrierlookup.com. You could definitely confirm it by checking the SIM # (different starting numbers for T-Mo and AT&T), or possibly by looking at the network settings in the phone menu.

There are some usual suggestions for a phone # for porting-- but if you have a Tracfone that will support a T-Mobile SIM (some will, some won't), one route would be via changing your Tracfone to T-Mo. It would likely necessitate talking to the dreaded Tracfone CS to complete, though. Tracfone has been known to send the replacement SIM for free, if your current carrier doesn't have good coverage in an area you need.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24722 by SuccessOne
If you don't want to use your Twigby's number, then there's one option that I know of: buy a port-in number from sellers on Ebay. Cost is around $4.99. This particular seller will email you a T-mobile number and with all the necessary port-in information. Just message the seller which area code you need. Here's the link if interested: www.ebay.com/itm/Prepaid-Numbers-For-Port-Any-area-code-T-Mobile-message-area-code-desired/192349592680?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #24723 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
OK, here's how it all shook out, finally - after massive time wasted:
My ad blocker was preventing cricket's number checker thingy from working.

Sadly after figuring that out - what I was told here proved 100% true & the ONLY number it accepted was the Twigby number, and then the discount popped right on before my eyes.
So I'll let that order go through after all - but only keep it live for one billing period at most.
(I've zero desire to remain a cricket user, I just want that phone !!)

Meantime, I also wasted time & effort today with the horrid TF 'support'...silly old me !!
Called them to request releasing my number to port out, but before I got that far thought to ask if my ~1200 minutes could be transferred to my partner's phone so as not to lose them.
Definitely, they said, then took all kinds of info, sent a code, etc, etc, etc...and finally:
I was told that 'the minutes are not compatible'. Right.
What absolute hogwash - different flavoured minutes.
These kinds of rip-offs are what makes me despise such companies !!!
So I just gave up & got off that call.

The final plan as of right now:
I'll use 1 of my extra TF cards to refill that line & use the krap out of it until it begs for mercy, then I'll let it die (but before that I may request a nano SIM from TF so as to ditch the Blu phone faster).

The new cricket phone will remain active for one bill cycle only - then, after unlocking I'll activate it with the Red Pocket deal on GSM (hopefully keeping my former Twigby number too), thereby covering the GSM need for a year at the best possible price.

The dirty little secret that I must confess here:
My Twigby number used for porting to cricket is actually a spare one that I got because of extra promo credits & I've been paying an extra $10/month to keep it live on my old favourite Kyocera Icon phone.
This has gone on for a time whilst I've been well aware that it had become an extra expense...and it is time now to use that money more wisely !!!

Getting 500 minutes & texts on a GSM phone with a bigger screen is what convinced me to do all this.

When all is said & done I'll still have my other Twigby phone & just use it lots less as it only gets 200 minutes.
I'll also be more than ready to totally get rid of the Blu which has been on TF as I've come to dislike it very strongly !!

What is cool about all this is that while waiting for cricket to do the port, I can use the TF minutes up, then use the cricket minutes for a while, then re-activate the cricket phone with the Red Pocket deal when both of those are done.
Phew.
Thanks for all the helpful replies here Folks !!!

BTW, here is a link from the fleabay deal page that may help any potential CDMA user wanting the Red Pocket deals with a compatibility check:
myeasyactivation.com/#check-compatibility
The following user(s) said Thank You: 112059

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #24728 by KentE
Glad to hear you got the Cricket offer to work, ET_Z ! I was concerned about you having to use the Twigby line, since I know Twigby's coverage has been working well for you. Glad to hear it's a spare Twigby line, too!

Well, there are 2 types of essentially incompatible minutes in the Tracfone system:
Tracfone uses 2 different 'accounting systems'
1) Smartphone allotments (defined buckets of each minutes, texts, & data).
2) Feature phone allotments (defined as minutes only, and using a conversion to account for texts or data).
The problem can lie in converting from one accounting system to the other, since there is only official support for converting in one direction.

You're using a BLU, so it uses the smartphone accounting system. I'm guessing your partner might be using a feature phone?

You cannot convert smartphone buckets to a feature phone bucket, at least without special dispensation from a CS agent. (And you'll lose all but minutes and days if they allow it.) Tracfone does allow the opposite--converting feature--phone buckets to smartphone buckets: at a loss to them, but to encourage smartphone conversion.

If your destination phone (your partner's) is a feature phone, and your 'donor' phone is a smartphone, you've got a double-whammy: the mentioned not-officially-supported conversion of accounting systems, plus the dispensation required to allow you to move allotments from one line to another. (Also not officially allowed, although we've seen it happen in forum member als's report here.)

The most likely workaround, if you have a spare Tracfone feature phone: ask CS if you can swap your phone to a feature phone, as a first step. (If you have a spare TF feature phone.....) You'd lose any allotments other than minutes and service days. (This isn't officially supported, but an agent might allow it.) Once both phones are in the same accounting system, ask again about moving the minutes from your phone to your partner's phone. Do it in 2 transactions, since you're asking for 2 special favors. (And, of course, YMMV.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist