Annual redpocket plans on super sale - ebay

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24646 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
As of this minute I'm leaning towards picking up a really nice Cricket/LG phone...and have looked carefully at their site to see what pain they may inflict upon users who cancel after less than a month to avoid further billing, and haven't found anything about that anywhere there ??

But as previously said - even if it cannot be rooted as with many of the latest LG phones, it appears to be easy to unlock - so that along with cheapo Redpocket services will be a nice change from TF + Blu if I do it.

I see several models that are GSM + CDMA & that fascinates me & makes me wonder if they can do both & sort of switch between them like a dual SIM phone does, or what ??

Thanks for the great & helpful replies here Folks !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24648 by Isamorph

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: As of this minute I'm leaning towards picking up a really nice Cricket/LG phone...and have looked carefully at their site to see what pain they may inflict upon users who cancel after less than a month to avoid further billing, and haven't found anything about that anywhere there ??

But as previously said - even if it cannot be rooted as with many of the latest LG phones, it appears to be easy to unlock - so that along with cheapo Redpocket services will be a nice change from TF + Blu if I do it.

I see several models that are GSM + CDMA & that fascinates me & makes me wonder if they can do both & sort of switch between them like a dual SIM phone does, or what ??

Thanks for the great & helpful replies here Folks !!

In case you haven't seen this when clicking the "details" bubble on the Cricket site: "Phone may be restricted to Cricket svc during first 6 months after activation".
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24649 by KentE
I've looked at phone acquisition through the Cricket/port/special method for several months, and did quite a bit of reading to make sure there were no gotchas involved. If there are, they're new. Cricket is pre-paid, no contract, so there's not much they can do to bind you to Cricket, other than......
.... restrict the phone to Cricket for 6 months (as Isamorph points out), and require you to pay for an initial month of service.

After 6 months, Cricket will provide you a code to enter into the phone to unlock it from Cricket. The Ebay unlockers seem to have no vested interest in keeping you tied to Cricket, and will provide that same code as soon as you pay a few dollars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24650 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks Isamorph & KentE !!
I did see that info, yes.
Similarly - I have gotten an unactivated Cricket phone unlocked via the cheapie fleabay service before with zero trouble, so its not really a concern that way.
(I still have the SIM from that deal that's never been used at all.)
I suspect that unless there's some really sneaky stuff on their parts, it should be possible again...

Not really wanting to get stuck with a paperweight either, but truly even if it ends up being a wifi-only device I'll be happy to get a phone with a bigger screen anyhow for other things I'll start doing here soon.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24651 by SuccessOne
I ordered two Red Pocket plans when Ebay was having 20% off on everything! Fantastic deal for sure! Now just ordered LG Stylo 3 from Cricket with a port-in number for special price! Sweet!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih, mmfacemm

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24652 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Question for SuccessOne, please:

SuccessOne wrote: I ordered two Red Pocket plans when Ebay was having 20% off on everything! Fantastic deal for sure! Now just ordered LG Stylo 3 from Cricket with a port-in number for special price! Sweet!!

At the Cricket site - where does the discount appear ??
(I had to stop due to an addressing snafu - but at that point it still showed the full price + plan added.)

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24655 by SuccessOne

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Question for SuccessOne, please:

SuccessOne wrote: I ordered two Red Pocket plans when Ebay was having 20% off on everything! Fantastic deal for sure! Now just ordered LG Stylo 3 from Cricket with a port-in number for special price! Sweet!!

At the Cricket site - where does the discount appear ??
(I had to stop due to an addressing snafu - but at that point it still showed the full price + plan added.)

Choose the phone you'd like to order, then choose the plan...I chose the lowest cost plan, $30, then keep going until you get to "Choose Your Number" page, Find the "Transfer My Number", click on "Get Started", and from there or soon after you should see the phone get discounted. You can't miss it.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24656 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks !!
I thought maybe that was what might happen - but I got stuck as my CC uses the PO box & they will not allow that, so I had to stop until I can contact them...tomorrow.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #24689 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Well, much as I'd like to get a nice, big phone from cricket - it ain't happening.

I see 2 HUGE problems with that horrid company:
1 - Their pricing ONLY applies to site buys, and their site ONLY accepts 1 address - a street address ONLY;
2 - In processing this order with the single card we have that actually bills to the street address, after putting in all the required info it shows this:

$129.99
2 GB (monthly) $30.00
Subtotal $159.99
Sales Tax $7.80
Total Due Today $167.79

This is Very, VERY different from the advertised pricing of $19 + $30 + tax.

Maybe they fix this later - or maybe I have to waste more of my life calling them to get it corrected later...NOT.
Maybe I should just trust them to get this right minus added wasted effort ??
Not happening.

Just for yuks I called them & will not bore anyone with the rotten time that was to get zero help;
Also, for the sake of completeness=>
Called the 'local' store (~1 hour's drive away) and they have a different (but close) price, so long as I don't mind the long drive to actually have my CC accepted along with a $25 activaton fee added.
Again - NOT.

Conclusions:
Yet another s*cky company to avoid;

Too bad Ting or Redpocket do not have such a spectacular (& correctly processing) offer.

Side-note:
Every company - big or small for years already has places for different billing & shipping addresses at their sites - amazon, fleabay, paypal - even teeny little Textnow does - but not cricket.

So, I will be content to use the el cheapo cricket phone that I already have with the Redpocket deal this thread is really about & just make a note to avoid yet another basically evil corpy via these learnings.

Thanks Folks !!

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #24695 by 112059

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Well, much as I'd like to get a nice, big phone from cricket - it ain't happening.

I see 2 HUGE problems with that horrid company:
1 - Their pricing ONLY applies to site buys, and their site ONLY accepts 1 address - a street address ONLY;
2 - In processing this order with the single card we have that actually bills to the street address, after putting in all the required info it shows this:

$129.99
2 GB (monthly) $30.00
Subtotal $159.99
Sales Tax $7.80
Total Due Today $167.79

This is Very, VERY different from the advertised pricing of $19 + $30 + tax.

Maybe they fix this later - or maybe I have to waste more of my life calling them to get it corrected later...NOT.
Maybe I should just trust them to get this right minus added wasted effort ??
Not happening.

Just for yuks I called them & will not bore anyone with the rotten time that was to get zero help;
Also, for the sake of completeness=>
Called the 'local' store (~1 hour's drive away) and they have a different (but close) price, so long as I don't mind the long drive to actually have my CC accepted along with a $25 activaton fee added.
Again - NOT.

Conclusions:
Yet another s*cky company to avoid;

Too bad Ting or Redpocket do not have such a spectacular (& correctly processing) offer.

Side-note:
Every company - big or small for years already has places for different billing & shipping addresses at their sites - amazon, fleabay, paypal - even teeny little Textnow does - but not cricket.

So, I will be content to use the el cheapo cricket phone that I already have with the Redpocket deal this thread is really about & just make a note to avoid yet another basically evil corpy via these learnings.

Thanks Folks !!

I did a test purchase as well (online) and you have to port in a new number to get the phone discount, activation was waived as well. I did not proceed past the name, address, etc to get the sim price or the taxes, but porting in a number did get me the phone discount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamielih, Extraterrestrial_Zoologist