Annual redpocket plans on super sale - ebay

More
More
1 year 11 months ago #24565 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Terrific info Mmfacemm !!
Just had a look & these are still running, but with slightly higher prices posted (the discount is expired).
Still - for $55, $84 or even $169 for 1000 Min/UNL Texts/1GB LTE these are very good deals.
(4.58 - 7.00 - 14.00 monthly)
Actually a better deal than the prepaid TF we are using for GSM services presently.

Questions that I hope someone can answer, please:
- What happens when your 360 days runs out (esp. price-wise) ??
- Does any of their CDMA coverage cross-over like what we get with the Twigby=> Verizon auto roaming ??
- Any idea if their services will work with a Cricket or US Cellular branded phone ??
- Will a CDMA Sprint-based phone work with their other CDMA network (Verizon..?) ??

Thanks for any helpful info !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #24568 by mmfacemm
The annual plans have been around for years and will likely be around for some time on ebay. The regular prices are $60, $99 and $179 but are discounted frequently. If you need more data than that amazon has a 3gb plan annual plan.

- What happens when your 360 days runs out (esp. price-wise) ??

You can renew via your online account at the regular price. We've recently discovered you can even use cellnuvo gold for it if you have a gold stash.

Or buy another discounted annual plan off ebay and use that to refill. You can buy up to a year in advance and what they do is send you a PIN code to apply the plan to an account - so you can apply it to an exisiting account close to your expiry date . If you want a brand new line they also send you sim cards for tmobile, att and verizon so you can pick you network. Sprint works too but you need your own sim.

So when you see the price is good you can buy it in advance ready to apply close to your expiry date. The prices have been discounted on Black Friday for many years and so that is a good time to buy.

- Does any of their CDMA coverage cross-over like what we get with the Twigby=> Verizon auto roaming ??

Nope

- Any idea if their services will work with a Cricket or US Cellular branded phone ??

I doubt it.

- Will a CDMA Sprint-based phone work with their other CDMA network (Verizon..?) ??

Depends on the phone, whether it is unlocked and whether it has verizon bands.

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: Thanks for any helpful info !!

You are welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist

More
1 year 11 months ago #24575 by KentE
Cricket phones should work fine on Red Pocket GSM plans, as long as they're unlocked from Cricket. Some Cricket phones can be cheaply unlocked via Ebay sellers (most LG and HTC models).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Zubrin

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #24581 by Zubrin
3/9-3/18/2018 $19 phone sales is going on right now. $19 phone + $30 plan + $2 eBay unlock you can get a very decent phone. ZTE Blade X Max 32GB, LG X Charge, LG Stylo 3.

www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

KentE wrote: Cricket phones should work fine on Red Pocket GSM plans, as long as they're unlocked from Cricket. Some Cricket phones can be cheaply unlocked via Ebay sellers (most LG and HTC models).

More
1 year 11 months ago #24585 by KentE

Zubrin wrote: 3/9-3/18/2018 $19 phone sales is going on right now. $19 phone + $30 plan + $2 eBay unlock you can get a very decent phone. ZTE Blade X Max 32GB, LG X Charge, LG Stylo 3.

www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

KentE wrote: Cricket phones should work fine on Red Pocket GSM plans, as long as they're unlocked from Cricket. Some Cricket phones can be cheaply unlocked via Ebay sellers (most LG and HTC models).

sheepish grin..... I'm tempted by one of those LG's. Always wanted a Stylo back in RingPlus days. $52 for an unlockable GSM version sounds pretty nifty.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #24597 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks for the great added info folks !!!

My forgotten question is sort of answered already, I think - but I'll ask it specifically...just in case I'm ass-u-ming wrongly:
If I got 2 of the Redpocket deals on sale & put one aside - will it expire, OR;
Is there some specific way to just add it on to the newly activated deal so as to get over 700 days altogether ??

I am really very tired of the 90 day TF renewal stuff & have already forgotten to renew it once, which turned out OK, but only after lots of effort, dealing with TF is very tiresome !!

I do have a Cricket phone on hand I picked up some time back.
That was after realizing that the Blu phone presently in use is turning out to be time & use limited.
This is because it is just not great in too many ways & has horridly short battery life - which makes it a perfect candidate for becoming a non-activated/desk/cradle/ attached device instead of a mobile usage device, ASAP.

My present thought is to offer my extra TF cards - all new & unopened, via CL & use whatever I can get from them to help fund the change to Redpocket.

The LG phones in the Cricket sale with nice, big batteries are attractive to me also.
The questions are always whether they'll unlock AND root easily.
If so, then even with the mandatory 1st month (??) of service cost, it may be worth getting one.

Hard to imagine that we actually got into the super-cheap TF deal a year ago already & it would be wonderful if there was some GSM deal right now that was as great as that $20 with a year of service deal we got before.

Thanks again folks for your wonderful helpfulness.

More
1 year 11 months ago #24599 by KentE
Scan ebay for unlocking services for the phones you're interested in, and the Cricket you already have-- I looked at the Stylo 3, and it runs about $2 to unlock via one of the sellers with very good reputation on several sites: and i've used 2 of the vendors with easy results.
As to rooting-- sorry, I don't know. I think you have experience with doing this though, and likely know where to look for assistance.

I'm not sure about your area, but in general Tracfone cards re-market easily enough. Just to make sure you know, E.T.-- you don't have to wait to add Tracfone cards-- they'll stack as far in the future as you want to go.

More
1 year 11 months ago #24600 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Thanks KentE !!
The Cricket phone I have was a super deal when I got it & it is unlocked already via the info you suggested.

I put up the TF cards on CL just now & will see if/when any responses arrive...

As to TF itself vs. stacking cards, well=>
I'd simply like to end my need to EVER visit their site/chat/'support', so the better deal on Redpocket appeals to me - and frankly I'd use a GSM phone more if I got a 500 minute or better deal to use.

Right now I'm on a 200 minute deal that gets used up each month & it costs just about the same as the 500 deal - so why not, right ??
Getting a year or 2 without any hassle from the start will also be a great thing for me.

Best Wishes to All !!

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #24644 by mmfacemm

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist wrote: If I got 2 of the Redpocket deals on sale & put one aside - will it expire, OR;
Is there some specific way to just add it on to the newly activated deal so as to get over 700 days altogether ??

I'm not positive if you can apply the second right away to get 700 days. That might cause some issues. But you can hold onto it for up to a year. So just apply the plan pin they send to you in the last month sometime. So yes you can buy two now.