How can I find if a phone is locked or unlocked?

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #21 by KentE

....I think truPhone requires an unlocked cell phone. But truPhone isn't a true ATT MVNO right?

When you say "Any other branded device" you mean 'Any device locked by any other provider' right?

Nice catch, dst11.  I've never used TruPhone, but you might be correct about both not being a true AT&T MVNO, and requiring an unlocked phone.  (I missed that entirely.) I think we have some TruPhone users here, and maybe they can confirm.

Exactly so for "Any other branded device": 
And yes, I'm afraid I have more than 2 obsolete phones....   Significantly so....  Would you like some?
The following user(s) said Thank You: dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dst11
  • dst11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #22 by dst11

Nice catch, dst11.  I've never used TruPhone, but you might be correct about both not being a true AT&T MVNO, and requiring an unlocked phone.  (I missed that entirely.) I think we have some TruPhone users here, and maybe they can confirm.

Exactly so for "Any other branded device": 
And yes, I'm afraid I have more than 2 obsolete phones....   Significantly so....  Would you like some?

I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I have more than enough obsolete computer stuff laying around!

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #23 by KentE
hmmm. not what I expected. Yes, it sounds like it might still be locked.
You might try the AT&T unlock portal
www.att.com/deviceunlock/unlockstep1
Answer 'No' to the question Are You an AT&T Wireless Customer?
Enter the IMEI of your phone.
See what it tells you. If it's unlocked already, I think it says that. If it's eligible to be unlocked, they'll email you directions.

Or call the phone number shared by SuccessOne back on page 1 of this thread.

• dst11
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #24 by dst11
I accidentally clicked delete and deleted my previous post! Can the post be recovered?

• dst11
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #25 by dst11
Anyway, I completed page 1 of the unlock request, completed page 2 (I left the 'mobile number' field blank/empty since I didn't have any such info) and submitted it. I clicked the confirm link in the email I got. The line below it says "Want to stay updated? Check the status of your request" and I clicked that too. Here's the text of the response:

Check your unlock status
Current status - Denied
We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid service.
You can submit a new request after six months of paid service.

Does that mean the phone was bought less than 6 months and then the buyer listed it on eBay where I bought it?

• KentE
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #26 by KentE
Yes, it means the phone wasn't active on an AT&T plan for the required 6 months to be eligible for unlocking. I don't know if calling the AT&T number suggested by SuccessOne would get an agent to inform you how many months paid service are still required.

I apologize for leading you down the wrong path by using the other-carrier SIM method. This has worked reliably for me in the past, but I've only done it on Android devices. Maybe KaiOS doesn't notify as aggressively about rejecting a SIM when still locked?

• bingyee
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #27 by bingyee

Yes, it means the phone wasn't active on an AT&T plan for the required 6 months to be eligible for unlocking. I don't know if calling the AT&T number suggested by SuccessOne would get an agent to inform you how many months paid service are still required.

I apologize for leading you down the wrong path by using the other-carrier SIM method. This has worked reliably for me in the past, but I've only done it on Android devices. Maybe KaiOS doesn't notify as aggressively about rejecting a SIM when still locked?

Yeah AT&T is very strict about not unlocking prepaid phones that haven't met the 6-month service requirement.  At least you are able to know right away through their unlock portal.  I wish T-Mobile had something equivalent.

• dst11
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #28 by dst11

I'll try that!

Please don't worry about it at all. Who cares if the phone is locked? I got it on eBay for $15.5 and I ordered a truPhone SIM so I can put it on my XP5, and transfer the FreeUp SIM from the XP5 to the Smartflip.

The buy-it-now price on the Smartflip was $45, but there was an auction too starting at $15. I put a $15.5 bid and ended up winning it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

• dst11
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 1 week ago #29 by dst11
I called AT&T and 'customer service' asked for the IMEI and told me 6 months. I couldn't understand the rep clearly. Anyway, I'll put my FreeUp SIM in tomorrow and we'll see how things go!

• dst11
  • Rotary Dial
  • Rotary Dial
More
7 months 1 week ago #30 by dst11
Success! Exactly like KentE described. I took out the FreeUp SIM from the Sonim XP5, removed the Micro SIM "ring" to turn it to a Nano SIM, and inserted that to the Alcatel Smartflip. 5 seconds or so after I opened the phone, it connected with the cell tower and it works fine. I tried calling and texting and both were fine. Now I'm waiting for the truPhone SIM to be delivered to put in the XP5.

BTW, when AT&T said "We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid service. You can submit a new request after six months of paid service." does time on FreeUp count or it must on AT&T itself?