Truphone no longer selling prepaid sims

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #1 by mmfacemm
Wish they had given notice so I could have bought a couple extra but just FYI truphone have stopped selling prepaid sims as of last week.  Can't find any resellers so looks like that is it.  

Current sims will still work but no idea if there will be plans to kill them off eventually.  If you haven't used yours in a while might want to log a call in case they start enforcing their 180 day rule.  
​​​​​​
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Extraterrestrial_Zoologist, Isamorph, dst11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2 by dst11
Oh oh. That doesn't sound good...

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #3 by sovashadow
They are still selling sims, but esim only..... bummer: www.truphone.com/us/consumer/sim/

Also if people need a dummy number for outgoing calls, I use 804-222-1111. I sometimes use it for microphone testing

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #4 by joseph
What's their new main line of business now?

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #5 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
Their site was down for a bit lately so I couldn't log into my account at all...but now it is back up.
This eSIM stuff is totally unknown to me.

Given this news and our needs, I have emailed them asking a few things, they replied amazingly fast !!

Here is the exchange:I am more than willing to assist you on your questions for the Prepaid SIM card:

1 - Is there any way we could get a 2nd SIM card now ??

I'm afraid none Mark. We stopped selling physical prepaid SIM cards for new customers.

2 - Does this eSIM stuff require a very new or special phone for it to
work ??

Mostly iPhone and some Android devices offer eSIM capability.

3 - Is my existing SIM based account going to stop working at some point
in the future ??

No, you can still continue using it and we still can replace it if you lose it or gets gamaged. We only stopped selling to new customer since Aiug. 5th.

Wow. Major bummer about the physical cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, johnsmith

More
1 month 4 days ago #6 by KentE
But nice that they are grandfathering those who already have physical SIM cards!

More
1 month 4 days ago #7 by mmfacemm
Yes it has been nice of them to keep the service going. Truphone and Freeup have been very good to keep old plans active.

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #8 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
To me - 'nice' & corporate entities seem quite unrelated;
People can be very kind because they are living, breathing, thinking beings - but corporations are all about profits.

That being said, my attention was drawn to this portion of the reply:

...we still can replace it if you lose it or gets gamaged. We only stopped selling to new customer since Aiug. 5th.

Which tells me=>
A - They have the SIM cards in stock & on hand;
2 - I am an existing customer - NOT a new customer.

So, given that we literally have zero income right now - buying an eSIM type phone is a total non-starter & frankly since that mostly seems like an iphone thing, we are not fans of that whole deal & prefer to avoid it.

When the ms.' Redpocket time runs out - short of something miraculous happening somehow - we'll likely have to do some sort of AT&T prepaid for our minimal uses.

Also - did a test call via Truphone & got 'carrier not available' twice before it finally connected.

To make this into a complete picture=>
When Twigby makes our existing phones into paperweights, and all the other stuff turns towards forcing IOT stuff on the masses - we may have no more cellular...anything.

More
1 month 4 days ago #9 by mmfacemm
Haha well even if they are not being nice I sure am thankful

More
1 month 4 days ago #10 by Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
It is always a goodness to be grateful.

It is also a goodness to comprehend the nature of corporate culture as a whole.
(Sadly, most folks simply accept that stuff without looking any deeper.)