FreeMii

More
1 week 6 days ago #48205 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic FreeMii

PEW wrote: Well, regardless, there is always the throttling clause that would prevent abuse. It's really not a problem if you use '5G' amounts of data in the middle of the night versus 'LTE' amounts of data during the day.

That's true about the throttling, but now that I think about it, I think the problem about whether faster speeds use more data than slower speeds performing the same task is true or false has been discussed on the forum before, possibly when talking about TextNow or some other MVNO having the option to control speeds. It seems that one could download say a 1 GB file with 5G in seconds and download the same file in 15 minutes with a slower 4G speed and the amount of data used would be the same at both speeds. But, would it? I've noticed that when doing speed tests on speedtest.net, the faster download speed I have the more data was used during the test. But that hunch need to be looked at more closely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #48206 by Chelle
Replied by Chelle on topic FreeMii

Isamorph wrote:

PEW wrote: Well, regardless, there is always the throttling clause that would prevent abuse. It's really not a problem if you use '5G' amounts of data in the middle of the night versus 'LTE' amounts of data during the day.

That's true about the throttling, but now that I think about it, I think the problem about whether faster speeds use more data than slower speeds performing the same task is true or false has been discussed on the forum before, possibly when talking about TextNow or some other MVNO having the option to control speeds. It seems that one could download say a 1 GB file with 5G in seconds and download the same file in 15 minutes with a slower 4G speed and the amount of data used would be the same at both speeds. But, would it? I've noticed that when doing speed tests on speedtest.net, the faster download speed I have the more data was used during the test. But that hunch need to be looked at more closely.

For files of fixed size the speed won't affect the amount of data used.

When streaming video, however, slower data speeds will usually cause a lower quality (and smaller) version of the video to stream.

If I watch Hulu, unthrottled, a 43 minute show uses about 1.8 GB. By throttling it in my router the picture looks the same (to us, at least) and a 43 minute show only uses about 400 MB.

More
1 week 5 days ago #48261 by drysun
Replied by drysun on topic FreeMii
For those who have obtained a FreeMii sim and used it for a while, have you figured out how they intend to make money? I thought their website said something about selling some sort of add-ons, but if it's unlimited talk/text/data, I'm not sure what they could upsell people on to make money and keep the business going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouP

More
1 week 4 days ago #48263 by Scrubulum
Replied by Scrubulum on topic FreeMii
Just got my sim and activation letter. The number to activate in the letter goes to a full mailbox and the link on the support site goes to a 404 error page. Chat with customer service provided a link that work so I tried to activate with porting my at&t prepaid number. Not too impressed yet. We will see.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #48267 by Isamorph

Scrubulum wrote: Just got my sim and activation letter. The number to activate in the letter goes to a full mailbox and the link on the support site goes to a 404 error page. Chat with customer service provided a link that work so I tried to activate with porting my at&t prepaid number. Not too impressed yet. We will see.

Not sure what you mean by activation letter and activation number neither of which I received with mailed sim package. The letter I received just provided the number to contact and talk with David Barkley who said he would like feedback and could also guide you through the activation process. The sim cardholder that also came in the mail said to visit 1.FreeMii.com/Activate 2. Complete Activation Steps 3. Restart Device 4. Confirm Activation

I, too, got the 404 error just now, but was able to get to freemii.com without problem, where the activation page can be found. EDIT: I tried going to the activation site from the FreeMii website and no dice. Hope they aren't going out of business already and, if so, I hope Paypal will reimburse me.

More
1 week 4 days ago #48268 by Isamorph

drysun wrote: For those who have obtained a FreeMii sim and used it for a while, have you figured out how they intend to make money? I thought their website said something about selling some sort of add-ons, but if it's unlimited talk/text/data, I'm not sure what they could upsell people on to make money and keep the business going.

Always a good question. David Barkley has mentioned technology he created that makes FreeMii possible, but what that technology is remains to be seen. In the meantime, for those of us who paid the $180, that $180 will likely pay for several months of coverage depending on the price FreeMii gets from the carriers. FeeMii has also received some seed money from investors, I believe, which should keep things going for a while. The $50 yearly membership fee that is being waved for now might be reintroduced as well, which would still be a good deal for unlimited t&t and data---$4+ a month, provided the company stays in business a few years. I suspect the success or failure of FreeMii depends on how many people sign up in these early stages and what sort of relationship it has with the carriers.

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #48270 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic FreeMii

drysun wrote: For those who have obtained a FreeMii sim and used it for a while, have you figured out how they intend to make money? I thought their website said something about selling some sort of add-ons, but if it's unlimited talk/text/data, I'm not sure what they could upsell people on to make money and keep the business going.

Yes as is there is no way they can sustain themselves on a one off membership fee or even a $50 annual fee. So there is a big danger this is operating like a pyramid scheme or additional requirements will be added once they hook you. Maybe we will all be swiping for ads in 2021 :silly: Waiting for the rebrand to freenuvo

Then again maybe they are hoping to follow the freedompop path and gain finance along the way in return for showing large subscriber growth with the intention of a sell off to satisfy investors. Not sure if that will work since providing unlimited everything will be expensive and having an upfront cost will put off potential customers.

I think most people at this point are thinking if they can get 6 months out of it then they will be happy to get whatever they can after that. Those joining late may be disappointed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #48275 by Isamorph
Hi Iasmorph,

We have received your support request. We will reply to your inquiry shortly.

Please note, we are experiencing a high volume of inbound requests regarding FreeMii services. We thank you in advance for your patience."

And: "We would like to acknowledge that we have received your request and a ticket has been created.
A support representative will be reviewing your request and will send you a personal response, usually within 24 hours."

To view the status of the ticket or add comments, please visit
support.freemii.com/helpdesk/tickets/718

Thank you for your patience.

-- FreeMii Customer Care

More
1 week 4 days ago #48282 by Isamorph
FreeMii has apparently fixed the activation page. One can now begin activation by entering the email address one signed up with.

More
1 week 4 days ago #48283 by tim661taft
Replied by tim661taft on topic FreeMii
Can you guys post some speeds tests results pretty please. So far i only seen one speed test.