FreeMii

More
1 month 1 week ago #48144 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic FreeMii
I suspect that the international dialing format was specific to the international WorldSIM that FreeMii used to say they were using. I know there are still remnants of old information on the website for that SIM. (Including, at least until well after this thread started, providing APN settings for WorldSIM.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #48151 by sblake5
Replied by sblake5 on topic FreeMii

mmfacemm wrote: Great thanks sblake5 I am getting closer to signing up. Just trying to decide on pink or red lol. If you could let us know your ping and speed when you get activated please that would be useful.

Apparently they will have tethering plans later on but freemii couldn't tell me if there would be an upgrade path to a membership with tethering. I hope so. They have been responsive with answering questions which is reassuring.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #48152 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic FreeMii

sblake5 wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: Great thanks sblake5 I am getting closer to signing up. Just trying to decide on pink or red lol. If you could let us know your ping and speed when you get activated please that would be useful.

Apparently they will have tethering plans later on but freemii couldn't tell me if there would be an upgrade path to a membership with tethering. I hope so. They have been responsive with answering questions which is reassuring.

Thanks
Have you used verizon before and if so are they your typical speeds? Seems low for what looks like good signal strength. They could be throttling video I suppose since you used fast.com. Are you seeing the same with speedtest.net?

Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
1 month 1 week ago #48153 by sblake5
I have Verizon as my regular cell service. The speed seems about the same at home and is better away from home. It does read higher on Speedtest. 4.79Mbps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
1 month 1 week ago #48165 by tim661taft
Replied by tim661taft on topic FreeMii
From reading all the posts in this forum, I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and order the freemii service. I think i'm going to pick the red verizon plan sim for my galaxy S9+ Phone it's unlocked and ready to go. later down the road I might buy a galaxy S20+ for 5G. I wonder if anyone is able to get a 5G connection from any of the plans freemii offers hmmm

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #48172 by sblake5

tim661taft wrote: From reading all the posts in this forum, I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and order the freemii service. I think i'm going to pick the red verizon plan sim for my galaxy S9+ Phone it's unlocked and ready to go. later down the road I might buy a galaxy S20+ for 5G. I wonder if anyone is able to get a 5G connection from any of the plans freemii offers hmmm

The red does take longer to activate than the blue. I began my activation on Sep 9 and it was completed Sep 13. As far as 5G, I don't know if it will work on FreeMii. I'll ask freemii support.. We just bought Note 20 5G phones to use on regular Verizon.

More
1 month 1 week ago #48185 by sblake5
Attachments:

More
1 month 1 week ago #48186 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic FreeMii

sblake5 wrote:

I think FreeMii might go broke if they offered 5G speeds and unlimited data, for expensive 5G speeds will evidently suck up one's phone data in seconds. My take is that sufficient 4G speeds are all I need on a phone, but, that said, 5G speeds for home Internet and the important infrastructures throughout the world is a big plus and necessary improvement as the world moves forward.

"Putting aside the question of how much more it'll cost per month to get 5G or how fast a 5G connection will be, if I were to download a 1GB movie, I'd use up 1/10th of my data in three seconds. Then, let's say I want to stream a few 3D games to my smartphone. Surely, that'll chew through a few more gigs — again, within seconds."

mashable.com/article/5g-requires-unlimited-data-mwc-2019/

More
1 month 1 week ago #48187 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic FreeMii
There is a section on the website that mentions "5g connection" but it talks about connecting to social media so I don't think they meant 5g data speeds. There are a few things like that that seem left over from a previous offering. Like they required you to connect to social media as part of the membership before.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
1 month 1 week ago #48202 by PEW
Replied by PEW on topic FreeMii
Well, regardless, there is always the throttling clause that would prevent abuse. It's really not a problem if you use '5G' amounts of data in the middle of the night versus 'LTE' amounts of data during the day.