FreeMii

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #61 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic FreeMii
I'm impressed with FreeMii, so far at least. Got my AT&T SIM today and was activated within minutes after manual inputting the AT&T APN settings. I've been impressed by FreeMii's website, the seamless ordering, shipping, and email notifications about the transaction along the way. Sim came in a large USPS envelope and was one day late of the guaranteed delivery date due to Labor Day. It was nice that enclosed with the sim was a letter from David Barkley w/phone number saying he would like you call him directly with your feedback on the FreeMii ordering process and what you think about FreeMii.

I am also pleased with the AT&T data speeds here at home: 27 Mbps down and about 7 Mbps up on just one test so far. I sure hope this company does well.

Forgot to say: I had to change the settings on my ZTE Blade 10 from LTE only to GSM only to get data to work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #62 by sblake5
Replied by sblake5 on topic FreeMii
I ordered and received a FreeMii Verizon sim and it is in the activation process. According to FreeMii activation will take 1-3 business days. I'll report back upon activation
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Chelle, Isamorph, mmfacemm, Chosen

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #63 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic FreeMii
Great thanks sblake5 I am getting closer to signing up. Just trying to decide on pink or red lol. If you could let us know your ping and speed when you get activated please that would be useful.

Apparently they will have tethering plans later on but freemii couldn't tell me if there would be an upgrade path to a membership with tethering. I hope so. They have been responsive with answering questions which is reassuring.

More
1 year 2 months ago #64 by golan
Replied by golan on topic FreeMii

After doing a little research on David Barkley, the founder of FreeMii, I decided to give it a go and ordered the AT&T sim with a guaranteed delivery date of Sept. 7th. From what I can tell, Barkley seems well-intentioned in his effort to start a successful company, though whether he succeeds is another matter, and it could be a scam. But as others have mentioned, if things go well for 6 months or a year, one will have gotten their money's worth. On a reddit post, Barkley was scoffed at some when he mentioned he had created a technology that allowed FreeMii to operate the way it does. Yet I don't think he could say more about that technology, if unique, without revealing and losing his intellectual property rights since whatever is revealed about trade secretes or how something works, sans a patent, becomes public knowledge. Anyway, the future is hard to predict and let's hope FreeMii succeeds.

Hi Isamorph,

Can you provide some links to your research?

Thanks!

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #65 by Isamorph

After doing a little research on David Barkley, the founder of FreeMii, I decided to give it a go and ordered the AT&T sim with a guaranteed delivery date of Sept. 7th. From what I can tell, Barkley seems well-intentioned in his effort to start a successful company, though whether he succeeds is another matter, and it could be a scam. But as others have mentioned, if things go well for 6 months or a year, one will have gotten their money's worth. On a reddit post, Barkley was scoffed at some when he mentioned he had created a technology that allowed FreeMii to operate the way it does. Yet I don't think he could say more about that technology, if unique, without revealing and losing his intellectual property rights since whatever is revealed about trade secretes or how something works, sans a patent, becomes public knowledge. Anyway, the future is hard to predict and let's hope FreeMii succeeds.

Hi Isamorph,

Can you provide some links to your research?

Thanks!

Some links:

m.facebook.com/TEDxHarrisburg/photos/happy-monday-everyone-to-start-off-the-week-wed-like-to-introduce-to-you-david-b/1670382439737548/

www.twinkl.com/school-directory/school-lookup/bright-futures-learning-centers-inc-214588

medium.com/foundergym/meet-the-graduates-of-founder-gyms-cohort-13-37fe39b7e3be

www.oneh.com/briefs/free-mii

telave.com/item/harrisburg-private-school-launches-partnership-offers-unlimited-data-talk-text-free-to-telave-10551461

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampton_University

medium.com/foundergym/founder-gym-was-named-google-for-startups-partner-of-the-year-924d66a21264

www.blackenterprise.com/google-for-startups-to-provide-scholarships-to-underrepresented-founders/

www.google.com/search?q=david+barkley+freemii&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS714US715&oq=David+&aqs

Bryan Speece, co-founder: www.linkedin.com/company/speecetech?trk=public_profile_topcard_current_company
The following user(s) said Thank You: sblake5

More
1 year 2 months ago #66 by tim661taft
Replied by tim661taft on topic FreeMii
Hi all has anyone in the USA got a USA phone number when you got your freemii ? Do you have to dial the following crap to make a call?
" Always dial the number in the full international format i.e. dial either using the '+' sign or '00' followed by the full international code, then the number you wish to dial."
And to receive a call ?
"Calls can be received on either the UK number or the US number at any time in any country. However there will be an additional cost for receiving calls on the USA number as compared to the UK number."
freemii support site about making calls support.freemii.com/support/solutions/articles/65000165314-making-calls
freemii support site about receiving calls support.freemii.com/support/solutions/articles/65000165312-receiving-calls

More
1 year 2 months ago #67 by Pretzel
Replied by Pretzel on topic FreeMii

Hi all has anyone in the USA got a USA phone number when you got your freemii ? Do you have to dial the following crap to make a call?
" Always dial the number in the full international format i.e. dial either using the '+' sign or '00' followed by the full international code, then the number you wish to dial."
And to receive a call ?
"Calls can be received on either the UK number or the US number at any time in any country. However there will be an additional cost for receiving calls on the USA number as compared to the UK number."
freemii support site about making calls support.freemii.com/support/solutions/articles/65000165314-making-calls
freemii support site about receiving calls support.freemii.com/support/solutions/articles/65000165312-receiving-calls

I activated my phone and asked for a new number on AT&T. I am in the USA and was given the correct area code for my area. I do not have to use the format that you show in your post. I dial the 10 digit phone number when I want to make a call.

More
1 year 2 months ago #68 by echance20
Replied by echance20 on topic FreeMii
I have Freemii on the AT&T network with a USA Number I just dial any number like I would any phone.all calls text and Data is unlimited. There are 3 network to choose at ordering. How ever T-Mobile and Verizon networks are in beta and usually takes up to 3 days to activate At&t network usually takes up to 15 mins to activate This is mentioned on the Freemii website

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #69 by Isamorph

And to receive a call ?

No problem here with my AT&T sim and USA phone number. Best call support.

Edit: the links you listed above may be there for future info or third party app for international calling. In the FreeMii FAQs, I saw the following about restrictions:

"Yes. Currently we do not support international voice or messaging. If you'd like to connect with friends and family internationally, a third-party app that uses data connectivity will be required."

More
1 year 2 months ago #70 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic FreeMii
I suspect that the international dialing format was specific to the international WorldSIM that FreeMii used to say they were using. I know there are still remnants of old information on the website for that SIM. (Including, at least until well after this thread started, providing APN settings for WorldSIM.)