Liberty Wireless

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #43442 by KentE
Liberty Wireless was created by KentE
sovashadow first posted about annual plans from Liberty Wireless on Ebay.
www.nthcircle.com/forum/deals/1357-hot-deals?start=790#43410

More listings from the seller here:
Liberty Wireless: Ebay listings

Others pointed out that the site www.libertywireless.com/
seems badly outdated, and lacking a lot of info. (Thanks, mmfacemm and isamorph!)

A few things in the Ebay listings seemed unusual to me--the seller is also selling a range of 'Vortex' batteries, and there is a mention near the bottom of Cintex Wireless. So, I decided to tug gently on those strings.

Eventually, I came to a linked-in page for Paul Greene, who is listed as CEO of Liberty Wireless, Cintex Wireless, Vortex Cellular, Prepaid Wireless Group, and Consumer Network Services. Busy guy!

A little more info:
www.cintexwireless.com/AboutUs.php is a provider of Lifeline services in Arkansas, Maryland, Rhode Island, Maine, & West Virginia. The connection between Liberty Wireless and Cintex may be similar to what we saw with Hello Mobile and Q-Link.

pwgnetworksolutions.com/ is an MVNE (Mobile Virtual Network Enabler, or the middle-man between a smaller MVNO and a carrier.)
(Also www.prepaidwirelesswholesale.com/index.php . Sorry, I can't remember path I took to either of these, and I can't be sure either/or is directly associated with Liberty.)

vortexcellular.com/about.php sells a line of cell phones (likely China-sourced) that seem targeted towards small MVNOs who need phones to sell. (Seems to tie in with PWG's MVNE business, and explains the Vortex batteries in liberty-vortex's Ebay store.)

Also ran across an article from a number of years ago that told how Paul Greene was buying up smaller failed MVNOs.

So, perhaps, Liberty Wireless is a retail-side operation made possible by Cintex's Lifeline phone business, and PWG's position as an MNVE. The old article might also explain why the Liberty Wireless site seems to be badly out of date, and Liberty wasn't on anyone's radar here-- because it may have been a 'warehoused' MVNO now being resurrected.

I'm not sure that any of this should make anyone more comfortable with buying a 12-month plan, other than that Paul Greene does not seem to be a novice in the MVNO world. Just thought it was interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als, y4vix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #43443 by SuccessOne
Replied by SuccessOne on topic Liberty Wireless
Well, it has 14-day money-back guarantee! Nothing to lose except some small postage cost should you don't like it. GSM is always better than Sprint network, in that you can switch phone simply by switching sim card into that phone.

I guess it mostly sells through eBay, so it doesn't want to spend money on updating its website. As long as it offers money-back guarantee, the risk of giving a try is pretty low.

I'd give them a try if I need a low-cost carrier, but I'm on the free 3 months trial from Mint Mobile right now. Well if someone tries them, please let us know how it goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: als

More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #43444 by y4vix
Replied by y4vix on topic Liberty Wireless
Thanks KentE for your "due diligence" analysis.
I was about to order, but now realize that I must do some further thinking/research.
I also want to be sure that the 14-day money-back guarantee is sacrosanct.

• KentE
  • KentE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #43451 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Liberty Wireless
I had a feeling I've seen Prepaid Wireless Group mentioned before....
It seems to show up in the APN of several T-Mobile MVNOs (APN: pwg) for US Mobile (GSM), Surgephone, and formerly for TPO.

Even more interesting, this:Ting recently stated that they're not going to discontinue T-Mobile service in the near future, despite earlier saying it looked like they would.
in
coveragecritic.com/2019/11/30/updates-on-tings-plans-to-add-verizon-and-drop-t-mobile/
Ting was quoted as saying: (Bold added:)

"I am pleased to report that we have reached a subsequent agreement with T-Mobile and a mobile virtual network enabler (or MVNE), named Prepaid Wireless Group (PWG), that essentially eliminates that expense and risk. Prepaid Wireless Group will now be considered our direct provider of T-Mobile network access. The new deal accomplishes a few important things: It extends our ability to support customers on the T-Mobile network for another three years starting this December, with an option to extend further. It allows us to continue to activate subscribers on the T-Mobile network if we choose. And it maintains our current T-Mobile wholesale rates and gives us very reasonable annual revenue guarantees."

Still no guarantee that Liberty won't fail, of course-- or that they'll provide decent service. But it does reduce my concerns. Seems like they ought to have access to decent wholesale pricing, and the knowledge to run an MVNO. But of course, the circular anti-logic is if they know how to do that stuff, why haven't they done it with the Liberty website?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chelle, als, mmfacemm

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #43514 by Isamorph
Replied by Isamorph on topic Liberty Wireless
Joe Paonessa at Bestmvno has an article about Liberty Wireless and, in addition to other mentioned plans, the below $240 annual plan caught my eye because included in the price is a free Umidigi A5 Pro phone that is selling for $130 on Amazon.

"$240 Annual Plan With Free Smartphone
This plan works out to an average cost of $20/month for unlimited talk, text, and data with the first 3GB of data each month at 4G LTE data speeds. Included in the price is a free 6.3" UMIDIGI A5 Pro smartphone. There is a $10 shipping charge to buy this phone and SIM kit. The item listing says that this is a sale that ends in 3 days which would put the end date on 2/13/2020. It's quite possible the listing gets extended though."

bestmvno.com/liberty-wireless/liberty-wireless-ebay-exclusive/

www.amazon.com/UMIDIGI-A5-Unlocked-Smartphone-International/dp/B07TDXXLJW
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, mmfacemm

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #43515 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Liberty Wireless

Isamorph wrote: Joe Paonessa at Bestmvno has an article about Liberty Wireless and, in addition to other mentioned plans, the below $240 annual plan caught my eye because included in the price is a free Umidigi A5 Pro phone that is selling for $130 on Amazon.

"$240 Annual Plan With Free Smartphone
This plan works out to an average cost of $20/month for unlimited talk, text, and data with the first 3GB of data each month at 4G LTE data speeds. Included in the price is a free 6.3" UMIDIGI A5 Pro smartphone. There is a $10 shipping charge to buy this phone and SIM kit. The item listing says that this is a sale that ends in 3 days which would put the end date on 2/13/2020. It's quite possible the listing gets extended though."

bestmvno.com/liberty-wireless/liberty-wireless-ebay-exclusive/

www.amazon.com/UMIDIGI-A5-Unlocked-Smartphone-International/dp/B07TDXXLJW

Interesting thanks. The $60 unlimited talk and text plan is interesting too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Isamorph

More
2 weeks 12 hours ago #43530 by mmfacemm
Replied by mmfacemm on topic Liberty Wireless
Anyone given them a try yet?

More
2 weeks 6 hours ago - 2 weeks 4 hours ago #43531 by Isamorph

mmfacemm wrote: Anyone given them a try yet?

I haven't used the service yet, but I did purchase the $60 one year unlimited t&t plan via eBay, which will be used by someone else. Interestingly, not long after I ordered, I received a message from the seller who said they had looked up where I live and saw that the coverage was poor and I should cancel the order. I responded by saying that T-mobile coverage in my area is 4G LTE as attested to by experience and what the T-mobile coverage map states, which they can look at and see with their own eyes. The seller responded with a sorry("Our system wouldn't allow us to create an account under that zip code! ") and said the order is on the way. So, it's a bit odd but maybe a good sign that the seller suggested the order be canceled while also being odd the seller, similar to Mint mobile, was using some outdated coverage map or info.

Edit: Received another message from "liberty-vortex" who said that their Tmobile system wouldn't allow them to process my order with my zipcode but if I would supply them with another acceptable T-mobile zip code they could override the system and process the order. I gave them a zipcode that was accepted and the order is on the way. I must say the vortex seller communicates very well and quickly, FWIW. Also, not the fastest eBay shipping since I won't receive the sim until about the 19th of this month.

More
1 week 6 days ago #43567 by joeuser
Replied by joeuser on topic Liberty Wireless
I contacted Liberty Wireless support via email and got a speedy reply today.
I asked how long I had to activate a plan purchased on ebay.
They responded that the sim cards expire in 2 years so the plan has to be activated before then.
But they encourage people to activate much sooner since they offer a 14 day return policy on their plans.
Most interesting is they said they plan on having these deals in April, when the phone I'm going to switch to Liberty ends it's plan with another carrier. Sounds encouraging so far. I'll report back after activating my 1GB ebay plan. I only purchased it early to take advantage of the 5% discount on ebay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, Isamorph, SuccessOne

More
1 week 6 days ago #43568 by Isamorph

joeuser wrote: I contacted Liberty Wireless support via email and got a speedy reply today.
I asked how long I had to activate a plan purchased on ebay.
They responded that the sim cards expire in 2 years so the plan has to be activated before then.
But they encourage people to activate much sooner since they offer a 14 day return policy on their plans.
Most interesting is they said they plan on having these deals in April, when the phone I'm going to switch to Liberty ends it's plan with another carrier. Sounds encouraging so far. I'll report back after activating my 1GB ebay plan. I only purchased it early to take advantage of the 5% discount on ebay.

Thanks for the info about the two-year sim card expiration, which sounds too good to be true and I doubt anyone will take the time to confirm the two-year expiration date.