SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40283 by mmfacemm
Well I am not giving them any numbers in my SSN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PEW
  • Telepathy
  • Telepathy
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40284 by PEW

joeuser wrote: I contacted SurgePhone for my 2nd renewal today.
They wouldn't renew via an email request. Only via phone or chat. I tried chat, I got connected to a rep within a minute.
They asked for my phone #, full name, full address, and last 4 digits of my social security #.
There were no questions about the Moolah app, but I do have it installed on my phone.

I still don't understand the logic of having to contact them each month?

Cost savings? Not renewing the plan maybe saves them money. Plus it's a hassle factor to weed out glove box phone users.
BTW, who's to say that the online chat was not a BOT?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40285 by drysun

They wouldn't renew via an email request. Only via phone or chat. I tried chat, I got connected to a rep within a minute.
They asked for my phone #, full name, full address, and last 4 digits of my social security #.
There were no questions about the Moolah app, but I do have it installed on my phone.

How can they ask for your SSN? When I got a card that was not asked and they did not ask when I renewed my plan. Heck when I renewed via chat 2 weeks ago, I think they just asked for the surge number and asked if I had Moolah installed.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40287 by mmfacemm

drysun wrote:

How can they ask for your SSN? When I got a card that was not asked and they did not ask when I renewed my plan. Heck when I renewed via chat 2 weeks ago, I think they just asked for the surge number and asked if I had Moolah installed.

Thanks. My renewal is in a few days so will see. Perhaps it depends on which agent you get.

From the sound of that they have no system in place to check you have moolah installed on the phone. I suspect the need to call/chat is all they can do to make sure users are installing the app and keeping it running just by asking users to self certify each month. The agent would then manually add the credit if satisfied.

Maybe they will eventually implement a system to automatically check and renew but right now it seems like everything about surge is a work in progress.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40348 by mmfacemm
Okay so I renewed my plan today.

I contacted surge on Saturday by chat and was asked by Marlon for my name and address only. I was told I was too early and had to do it on Monday which was the day my plan expires.

Okay so fast forward to Monday and I reach Fredy on the chat who asks for my name, address and last 4 digits of my social this time. I already had entered in my phone and said I was on the free plan and had moolah installed. I give my name and address and tell him they don't have my social nor do they need it and so they can't have it lol. He proceeds to check the account and renew the plan for another month.

The online account just shows the 1000 mins/ 4000texts / 1000mb added to the old balance. Not sure if last month rolls over or if it will drop off tomorrow. But there is no indication that I have another month other than what Fredy told me.

So far so good. For $10 it was worth the experiment and anything from here is a bonus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE, realLexusl21, LouP

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40350 by KentE
mmfacemm writes: "The online account just shows the 1000 mins/ 4000texts / 1000mb added to the old balance. Not sure if last month rolls over or if it will drop off tomorrow. But there is no indication that I have another month other than what Fredy told me."

I'm pretty sure that previous reports match your experience with the new allotments adding to the old, and reported that the leftovers from last month will disappear when the plan date rolls over.
I don't remember reports about how/when the plan expiration date displayed changes.

It's a pain that the window for renewal is so short-- a busy workday might exceed 16 hours for me, and sooner or later that would be a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm, realLexusl21

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40351 by scriptninja
Wait, you folks have something that shows your plan expiration date? My portal doesn't have that. And I was already wondering whether I'd have trouble getting the credit taken care of, say, next month, when assuming it's supposed to be the same day of the month, my plan rolls over on a Sunday.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I got a call back from them saying the F at the end of my ICC ID in the Moolah app meant I'd been sent a SIM for a plan they don't support anymore and needed a new one...

Of course, fifteen minutes after they said they'd send me the new SIM I got a follow-up email saying I don't need a new SIM after all but they need my IMEI. Which I'm trying to follow up on, but it's awkward...I never expected to need to send email TO them (I was expecting some kind of ticketing system to reply to) so the email address I was using is one I can't actually send from. But that's a separate issue.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #40356 by mmfacemm
No expiration date on the online portal. I was just told it by the agent i chatted with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scriptninja

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40358 by KentE

mmfacemm wrote: No expiration date on the online portal. I was just told it by the agent i chatted with.

That seems a design oversight, doesn't it? :(
I wonder if it's fixed to the day of the month, or on a 30 day cycle?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmfacemm

More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #40362 by mmfacemm

KentE wrote:

mmfacemm wrote: No expiration date on the online portal. I was just told it by the agent i chatted with.

That seems a design oversight, doesn't it? :(
I wonder if it's fixed to the day of the month, or on a 30 day cycle?

Yes they are very much a work in progress. They say they are working on new features for the online portal including an expiry date. But how long it will take is unknown.

Seems to be a 30 day cycle from when they key in the renewal. So if you have it renewed at 5pm it will expire at 5pm in 30 days.

I've had no issues with the cell service itself and it offers generous allotments for free. The steps required are not that bad considering what you get. Just have to take a note of the renewal date and be careful. As well as put up with the homescreen launcher. If you are used to older phones the launcher won't feel that out of place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE