SurgePhone New User Setup Experience and Tips

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40813 by drysun
I have not seen any extra spam, but I used a yahoo address that I use for normal everyday stuff. My email seems about normal, but then again I don't actually check the spam folder that yahoo moves junk mail too.

I will note that they did send me two emails today stating the main account site mysurgephone.com was going down for maintenance and when it was back up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40814 by mmfacemm
I used a new gmail account and it has zero spam. Also got the scheduled maintenance emails.

More
6 months 1 week ago #40913 by bingyee
I just renewed on the free plan. The SIM was in an iPhone SE the last 10 days. When I called, I had just swapped the SIM back into my old Droid mini that had Moolah installed. So when the guy asked me if I had Moolah installed on my phone, I wasn't lying. And now, the SIM is back in my iPhone SE.

The throttling was tolerable. I'm mainly using this account to stream music on Pandora and the speed is plenty for that.

More
6 months 1 week ago #40924 by joeuser
I can tolerate the Moolah app as a trade off for the free service. I'll accept the advertisements as payment for the benefits of free service. At least I now see ads for some local companies, so maybe the service is growing?

More
6 months 1 week ago #41005 by LouP
They added a new section to the webpage ( mysurgephone.com ). You can now search "my transactions" which includes the dates that your account was renewed. I have renewed my account 3 times. I am on the free plan and using it on an extra phone with the Moolah app. Although I was initially very skeptical, I have to say that I am happy with the free service and hope it lasts. Aside from needing to reach out to them once a month to renew the plan, there is no other real work involved in keeping the plan. I do not know how long this is going to last, but I am going to keep it as long as it does...it was definitely worth the $10 initial investestment for the SIM card.

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 1 week ago #41017 by JS
I am somewhat surprised that few people are interested in Surgephone. Other than here, I have seen zero actual user discussion of this service anywhere else. That is a shame because them having more customers means they have a better chance of staying in business. Oh well, might as well use these guys as long as the phone service under the current terms lasts.

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 4 days ago #41076 by JS
Has it been determined if Surgephone's ads and whatever tracking they do counts toward the 1gb of data? I suspect the ads are subtracted from the allowance but am not positive.

On another note, my initial month is almost over, and I have less than 200 points. Unless people actively engage with the app daily trying to earn points, it would seem to me that is not possible to earn 10,000 points a month that appears to equal the $10 needed to pay for this plan.

More
6 months 4 days ago #41078 by joeuser
Upon renewal, you need to tell the service rep that you have the Moolah app installed but they've never asked how many points were accumulated during the month. At this time, it appears Surgephone doesn't have feedback data from the Moolah app. So for the time being, don't worry about how many points you accumulate.

I don't know if the ads count against the free data allowance. I've use my phone mostly for calling. I would imagine the ads only consume a small amount of data anyway.

I've been wondering how Surgephone can make any money or break even from the free service. Somehow I think the free service will eventually end and the cost will be $10 / month, then the Moolah app won't be needed. I read there's no taxes added to this cost. So even if it ends, they offer a good deal for T-mobile service. But for the time being, I'll keep the free service.

• JS
  • Pigeon
  • Pigeon
More
6 months 4 days ago - 6 months 4 days ago #41079 by JS
I think they actually want to give "free" phone service. Whether they have a realistic business model or not is another story. From a trade show earlier this month, Surge was advertising for dealers to sell their free phone service. Surge was promoting that they could receive $1 a month though that is probably dependent on volume.