Beast Mobile

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #71 by drysun
Replied by drysun on topic Beast Mobile
Thanks, I did try to call them back earlier, but since it was almost 5PM Eastern, I figured they were done for the day. Will try calling them again tomorrow.

Not sure how sustainable this will be. Seems like it might be a real small operation. The envelope with my SIM had my address hand written, not printed. No instructions or paperwork included. Calling support to get activated, took several calls (interestingly I noticed someone reached them around 2PM in an earlier post and I was finally able to reach someone at 2:30PM).

Side note, the guy who activated my SIM said I'm supposed to get a text message in about a week with a link to download the app. Anyone seen that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #72 by sblake5
Replied by sblake5 on topic Beast Mobile
Have not received that text or any other text from Beast Mobile on either line

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #73 by redrotors
Replied by redrotors on topic Beast Mobile
I posted earlier re text I received upon activating, first boot up. It was from AT&T though, not Beast. Nothing received since.

Did your APN settings match ones I posted?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #74 by sblake5
Replied by sblake5 on topic Beast Mobile
I did get that text from AT&T but, as I said, nothing from Beast. My APN settings are the same as he ones you posted.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #75 by redrotors
:) The APN settings ? was really meant for drysun.
Curious if they had matching APN or managed to change/create APN to match and if it worked.

On my phone it won't let me modify this APN but I can create a new one. I know this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer & android version.

Set APN in iOS? Have to use a web site or something? Can't recall, don't have any recent experience doing it with iPhones.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #76 by KentE
Replied by KentE on topic Beast Mobile

This really seems too good to be true for sustainability especially with no Ad revenue APP but you never know.... :)

.... actually.... I'm pretty sure we do know.....

Without a functioning (and required) app, the more relevant question is probably how long the free ride will last.

Well, I have learned to not be too arrogant in my assumptions as FreeUP (with zero profit/income and only goodwill as a motivation for grandfathered 100% free plans ongoing) and FreeMii (with zero profit/income and only goodwill as a motivation for grandfathered 100% free plans ongoing) have proven me wrong (as with everything in life: for now, YMMV etc.). I think BeastMobile might have the best motivation for keeping a positive image so far as it is a celebrity's vanity project with his "name/persona" embedded within the company name. 

Good points, and I stand corrected.  (And still using my grandfathered FreeUP line.)

A few differences:  FreeUp did have a way to monetize the free service in place from the beginning, even if that method went away later.  BeastMobile apparently doesn't even have a method in place to do so.    (I understand how 'paid for by others' can work, but have more difficulty with 'paid for by no one'.)

I don't have FreeMii-- but it's definitely lasted longer than I thought it would, and again the grandfathered early adopters seem to still be getting the 'too good to be true' price/service.

Of the 3 (FreeUP, FreeMii, BeastMobile), I think FreeUP has the best chance of staying around, because their standard  plans seem both competitive, and understandable, to prospective users.   (And they were competitive from the beginning, if looking specifically at AT&T MVNO cost, even if they were targeting a narrow customer niche.)

As long as FreeMii manages to stick around, I hope they continue to grandfather the early adopters-- but they need to clean up their marketing approach to attract significant numbers of non-grandfathered users.  It's just too hard to get straight info on what you're buying, and what it will cost.  (But I wish I'd been one of the early adopters.)

BeastMobile, on the other hand, is a mystery to me:  Their standard rate plans don't seem competitive at all, so he promo is not an effective loss-leader.  The promo appears to rely on the relatively deep pockets of Lynch or FreeMo.   FreeMo is theoretically in the business of providing similar 'paid for by others' service management to other clients, and they appear to be the driving force behind BeastMobile-- so theoretically BeastMobile could be their advertising showpiece to market their service to other clients..  But they don't seem to be able to get their act together to even make that look like a good reference for selling FreeMo's service elsewhere.  FreeMo seems to be all talk, and no game plan.  To me, it looks like a wasted marketing effort/investment for FreeMo.  And Beast/FreeMo has had over a year to figure this out, with no visible progress.  You might well be correct about Lynch and the 'vanity project', but I can't figure out what FreeMo's motivation is.

That said-- if I needed another line at the $7/mo price point, and didn't care if it suddenly went away, I'd give BeastMobile a try.  Heck, I still might.  ($7 price point based on hoping for at least 3 months of service from the $20 SIM cost.)

More
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #77 by redrotors

.......... That said-- if I needed another line at the $7/mo price point, and didn't care if it suddenly went away, I'd give BeastMobile a try.  Heck, I still might.  ($7 price point based on hoping for at least 3 months of service from the $20 SIM cost.)

Hoping for min. 8-9 months here simply because this is giving an old PagePlus $10/4 mo. pay per min./text/mb line a rest while seeing if AT&T mvno have filled in some signal holes vs. vzw mvno (appears not).

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #78 by drysun
Yes my phone defaulted to that same APN. I suspect maybe the wrong SIM number got keyed in either when I read it off to them or when they listened/entered it into the system. Have tried calling them several times today but no luck. This last time I just decided to leave a message, so we'll see what happens.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #79 by bingyee
Replied by bingyee on topic Beast Mobile
I stuck my SIM into an iPhone SE (1st gen). There is no access to APNs, but data works fine so I assume the APN auto-provisioned correctly. I haven't yet put the SIM onto any of my android phones but I'm assuming I will need to manually provision APN with two of my androids that were originally sold by Verizon.

I'll be more than satisfied if I end up with 7 months of free service.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #80 by drysun
Posting an update. I called again this morning and was able to get through. Joey from support said the line looks active and should be working so he said he would contact support. He called me back like 30 minutes later saying ATT sent him an email that my phone wasn't supported. Funny thing is most of the idle phones I have laying around are ATT prepaid phones and it didn't work in them.

Anyway, right before he called me back, I decided to try rebooting the phone I last had it in one more time, and to my surprise it updated and got the phone number and I verified data and calling worked. Joey said he didn't do anything and as far as ATT all they did was send him that email, but we decided we'd just let it be since it now seems to be working.