Surgerewards - new rewards program for surgephone

More
5 days 7 hours ago - 5 days 7 hours ago #41236 by mmfacemm
I haven't heard anything from surgephone themselves but stumbled across this browsing the website. Seems like there is a new app for surgephone called surgerewards .

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.surgerewards.app&hl=en_US

www.surgerewards.com

Digging into the details on the activation page for surgephone it says:
Your first $1 earned each month is automatically applied as a $10 credit to your SurgePhone wireless bill.

So looks like we'll need to earn $1 in the app to get our $10 discount.

No idea when this becomes live because there is still mention of moolah app on the website but I imagine it will change soon.

Referral code in case you want to be so kind as to sign up with mine. Thanks! www.nthcircle.com/forum/misc-telecom/76-referral-links-allowed-in-this-thread-only-hungryghost?start=90#41237
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 days 2 hours ago #41242 by KentE
Well, that was quick...
The Surgephone website now mentions SurgeRewards prominently. I can still find Moolah mentioned on one of the back pages.....

More
4 days 17 hours ago #41244 by bingyee
My Droid mini won't download the new app. It looks like you need higher than Android 4.4.4.

And Surge Rewards isn't available on iPhone.

Probably time for me to quit.

More
4 days 16 hours ago #41245 by mmfacemm

bingyee wrote: My Droid mini won't download the new app. It looks like you need higher than Android 4.4.4.

And Surge Rewards isn't available on iPhone.

Probably time for me to quit.

Requires android 6 and up

More
4 days 16 hours ago #41246 by KentE
The change does bring some questions to mind.
1) Obviously, whether one can reasonably earn $1 (to credit $10 against the bill).
2) Since interaction is now required, and 'in theory' the app needs to be loaded on the active phone, this really limits the utility as a glovebox phone. (It's not likely to be in my glovebox if I need to fire it up regularly to earn credits.)
3). The FAQs indicate that ad content is not zero-rated, and that they anticipate data requirements to be around 500mb a month. WiFi is needed to come out with usable plan data beyond the app requirements. (The FAQ does say there's a setting to limit ad viewing to WiFi only..)
4) That pesky concern about whether the app will mine contact info. A number of people were avoiding that issue by not loading contacts on the phone-- but that further limits the useful niche for a phone that needs to be interacted with regularly. (Without the mining concern, I might actually use the phone as a primary at times.)

More
3 days 18 hours ago #41251 by scriptninja
5. What do I do with my Moolah now?
6. If I go to the customer service chat today and ask to renew as if nothing has changed, will they give me my credit or tell me about the new app?
7. If they give me my credit, will it disappear partway through the next month when they finish the transition?

New and exciting adventures in frugality, unfolding here in the Nth Circle

More
3 days 17 hours ago - 3 days 17 hours ago #41252 by scriptninja
Answer to question 6 is Juan didn't say anything about the new app, and I got my new credits in about the same 3-4 minutes as last time.

As an aside, I am baffled by the order in which the transactions for my three monthly credits appear. They are not in order by month, by day of the month, by transaction ID, or by invoice ID. Strange. Oh well.

The new app provides a digit entry pad for the birthdate instead of a date picker but requires MM/DD/YYYY instead of a sane format, which is infuriating, but it does show clearly what it's expecting, so at least it's not a real obstacle.

That said, I tried to get set up on the new app (largely to assess question 1) and it says "this sim is unavailable to register." I figure there's a small change that's because my sim is linked to my account in Moolah Mobile and a much larger chance it's for the same reason I originally couldn't link it in Moolah (my ICC ID displays in the Moolah app with an F appended to it).

More
3 days 16 hours ago - 3 days 16 hours ago #41253 by mmfacemm
1) Doesn't look easy. $0.001 an ad but there are multiple freebies like you can earn $0.15 each month by logging in each day and then they have lock screen ads and offers to do. I hope they refine that over time to make it easier to earn. There are currently two ad providers in the app (hypermx and something else with a cube logo) as well as two offer providers (fyber and adgate) listed though the offers are not live.
They did give me $2 for signing up. If that counts for the free plan that gives me two months free.

There is also a VIP status which looks like you get bonus earnings like more for each ad view. I am currently on bronze +0% so at the lowest level. Not sure how to get higher. It looks like it might be if you use the app a certain number of days in a row you get leveled up. That could potentially make it much easier to earn that $1.

2) IMEIs and ICCIDs are linked to the app. I don't know if we will be able to get away with swapping the sim to other phones. The good thing is this app is not invasive. You don't have to have it running all the time. It is a bit like cellnuvo - you open it up and interact to earn. You can disable lockscreen ads.

3) yes wifi is important

4) yes I imagine they will mine all the data they can get

5) The new app isn't live yet. Supposed to later this year and the moolah app will no longer be used. Continue to moolah for now. They really needed to get the new app ready before having it on the website etc.

7) I shouldn't think so since it is applied to your account

Also do note this new app is supposed to ensure auto renewal so that is a benefit. There is a "news" section in the app which cellnuvo was sorely lacking.

More
3 days 7 hours ago #41255 by ghoul31
This looks like another Cellnuvo. why would anyone sign up for this?

More
13 hours 33 minutes ago #41279 by Chelle
I'm sitting this one out.

It seems like too much work to get involved with an invasive app and try to keep it quarantined on a separate phone.

It's like trying to steal a watch off of someone who has Ebola. Yeah, it might be worth a try, but what's the potential risk?